G550 no monitor setting for 2 monitors

Old September 15th 03, 12:14 AM
Leon

Default G550 no monitor setting for 2 monitors

Hello,

Using Matrox G550 and two monitors for image editing. Left little
monitor for editing tools. Right big monitor for image full screen
editing.

By a wrong design of a software package (Nikon Capture 3.51) I have to
set the more little "tools" monitor as the primary monitor. It is the
only way to have the tools-windows set at the left monitor after close
of the programm and restart. (The other way round -- image at the
primary monitor and tools at the secondary monitor, tools are shift
back again to the primary monitor after restart).

Within matrox powerdesk display options, I only can set the little
"primary" monitor using a tab "color" within the display options. It
is not used in the second monitor as mentioned within the manual.
However I had hoped I could use the Adobe Gamma tool to set color
options for the big "secondary" monitor. The settings of the Adobe
Gamma tool don't have any influence to the monitor. I guessed, the
Photoshop tool should be some different independant tool, nothing to
do with Matrox.
Still it doesn't function.

Is there a way to set the second monitor by the Photoshop Adobe Gamma
Tool?

In my opinion it is a false start for a company that do produce
dualhead videocards that only *one* monitor could be tweaked in color,
where those cards are specially used by designers and photographers to
have best options and do want both monitors to be set properly, not
one.
Old September 15th 03, 11:51 AM
Leon

(Leon) wrote in message
Within matrox powerdesk display options, I only can set the little
"primary" monitor using a tab "color" within the display options. It
is not used in the second monitor as mentioned within the manual.
However I had hoped I could use the Adobe Gamma tool to set color
options for the big "secondary" monitor........

[snip]
In my opinion it is a false start for a company that do produce
dualhead videocards that only *one* monitor could be tweaked in color,
where those cards are specially used by designers and photographers to
have best options and do want both monitors to be set properly, not
one.

I found the answer at Matrox itself. Only the new expensive Millenium
P cards (P650 - P750) and Parhelia cards do have that possibility with
an extra software utilty found at their driver CD's.

Basterds. Now I had to put an extra video-card in my PC, only for this
reason. That was not my intention by using a "dual head" video-card.
I placed back my old Diamond Viper 550 PCI-card (lucky it is a PCI
card) as a second video card and use the matrox card as one
video-ouput card. And yes, now it is working in a proper way. Both
monitors can be set in color and gamma.

When I had known it before, I never had to buy that Matrox card. The
most cheap video-card as a second card with NVIDIA chip (using my
Viper 550 as primary card)) should have the same possibilities, using
the very good NVIDIA monitor software tools and NVIDIA drivers.

Talking about Quality of the Matrox? Matrox is known to be the most
best quality.
I do use an Eizo monitor as the monitor for retouche images. Eizo is
also known as one of the good monitors for graphic solutions. It do
have BNC-cables as well the normal video-cable. Connecting both cables
to each own video-card I have the possibility to switch from one
video-card to the other by a button just in front of the Eizo monitor,
to see if there are differences.
Guess what. There is no quality difference at all between that "old"
Diamond Viper card and Matrox. No difference to sharpness, no
difference to color.

So if you need a good dual head option. Just buy two simple NVIDIA
based video-cards. It is giving you the best for less money.