Omega Drivers

Old June 7th 04, 06:19 PM
Striker

Default Omega Drivers

Lets hear some comments about ATI over Omega Drivers or vice versa.
Thanks,

Old June 7th 04, 08:51 PM
AseStar

This has been discussed many many times in past. I suggest you search in
google groups for this topic.

From personal experience, ATI and Omega are both EXCELLENT drivers. Omega's
enable better overclock support for some chips (SE versions) and support
Mobility series. Which is why I use them on my m10pro laptop.
Omega often have better tweaks for games, so they tend to increase
performance or IQ (or both) as opposed to ATI ones..

Old June 7th 04, 11:22 PM
Julian Richards

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 19:51:00 GMT, "AseStar" a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
.. n o wrote:

This has been discussed many many times in past. I suggest you search in
google groups for this topic.

From personal experience, ATI and Omega are both EXCELLENT drivers. Omega's
enable better overclock support for some chips (SE versions) and support
Mobility series. Which is why I use them on my m10pro laptop.
Omega often have better tweaks for games, so they tend to increase
performance or IQ (or both) as opposed to ATI ones..

"Striker" wrote in message
. ..
Lets hear some comments about ATI over Omega Drivers or vice versa.
Thanks,

From what I see here, the Omegas seem to have less install/upgrade
problems.
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

XP Home
L7S7A2 motherboard
Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines 438/364 with Omega drivers
1 GB RAM
10 GB + 80 GB HDs
CD+DVD/CDRW drives
Old June 8th 04, 09:08 AM
patrickp

. n o wrote:

This has been discussed many many times in past. I suggest you search in
google groups for this topic.

From personal experience, ATI and Omega are both EXCELLENT drivers. Omega's
enable better overclock support for some chips (SE versions) and support
Mobility series. Which is why I use them on my m10pro laptop.
Omega often have better tweaks for games, so they tend to increase
performance or IQ (or both) as opposed to ATI ones..

"Striker" wrote in message
.. .
Lets hear some comments about ATI over Omega Drivers or vice versa.
Thanks,

From what I see here, the Omegas seem to have less install/upgrade
problems.

I would think there's probably a lot more people here using stock Ati
rather than Omega drivers, so we should expect to see more problems.

Pure guess is, per user of either, they probably have equivalent
levels of problems.

patrickp

- take five to email me
Old June 8th 04, 10:54 AM
Dirk Dreidoppel

I would think there's probably a lot more people here using stock Ati
rather than Omega drivers, so we should expect to see more problems.

Pure guess is, per user of either, they probably have equivalent
levels of problems.

Hm, of the people I know from various forums, the majority uses the Omega
drivers, and so do I.

Old June 8th 04, 02:28 PM

. n o wrote:

This has been discussed many many times in past. I suggest you search in
google groups for this topic.

From personal experience, ATI and Omega are both EXCELLENT drivers. Omega's
enable better overclock support for some chips (SE versions) and support
Mobility series. Which is why I use them on my m10pro laptop.
Omega often have better tweaks for games, so they tend to increase
performance or IQ (or both) as opposed to ATI ones..

"Striker" wrote in message
. ..
Lets hear some comments about ATI over Omega Drivers or vice versa.
Thanks,

From what I see here, the Omegas seem to have less install/upgrade
problems.

I would think there's probably a lot more people here using stock Ati
rather than Omega drivers, so we should expect to see more problems.

Agreed, 90% will do a default install and leave it that way forever.

Pure guess is, per user of either, they probably have equivalent
levels of problems.

Disagree, in 7 years of using Omega's I see almost no posts ever with
problems attributed to Omega's so equivalence no, I don't think so.

There was a spot in time 3 or 4 years ago when ATi tried to shut down
the ' God-Bless-You-Man. At that time ATi insisted that the CPl be re
instituted into his driver set[s] ( he did not have an ATi CPl ) and
this did cause problems. This for historians is the only time I recall
problems with Omega's.

patrickp

- take five to email me

BoroLad
Old June 8th 04, 05:25 PM
Pluvious

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 11:54:19 +0200, "Dirk Dreidoppel"
wrote:

I would think there's probably a lot more people here using stock Ati
rather than Omega drivers, so we should expect to see more problems.

Pure guess is, per user of either, they probably have equivalent
levels of problems.

Hm, of the people I know from various forums, the majority uses the Omega
drivers, and so do I.

I've been using Omegas since 3.7 and will continue to use his drivers
OVER the ATI ones everytime. I don't update my drivers until Omega
puts out his version of the latest. His driver package is amazing, and
if you don't at least try them you're missing out.

He regularly posts at www.Driverheaven.com forums.

www.omegacorner.com

Pluvious

Old June 8th 04, 07:33 PM
patrickp

wrote:

I would think there's probably a lot more people here using stock Ati
rather than Omega drivers, so we should expect to see more problems.

Pure guess is, per user of either, they probably have equivalent
levels of problems.

Hm, of the people I know from various forums, the majority uses the Omega
drivers, and so do I.

"of the people I know from various forums" - very possibly. However,
if you were to poll _all_ the people who post here, I would suspect a
large majority would use stock Ati drivers and, of Ati card users in
general, even more so.

patrickp

- take five to email me
Old June 8th 04, 07:55 PM
patrickp

. n o wrote:

This has been discussed many many times in past. I suggest you search in
google groups for this topic.

From personal experience, ATI and Omega are both EXCELLENT drivers. Omega's

"Striker" wrote in message
Lets hear some comments about ATI over Omega Drivers or vice versa.
Thanks,

From what I see here, the Omegas seem to have less install/upgrade
[...]

I wouldn't (and didn't) criticise Omega's drivers: he certainly seems
to know what he's doing, and has the advantage of hindsight: he looks
at, essentially, a completed driver from Ati, and only has to think of
how he can improve it.

I've tried his drivers now and then and, although I've generally not
had problems with them (nor have I with Ati drivers, usually), I've
not seen any benefits, either: I'm not a "latest and greatest" game
player, so perhaps that's why.

However, an Omega driver (can't remember now which one) is the only
Ati card driver I was completely unable to install: some of the
earlier Ati Catalyst 3.X ones had problems with the installer, but
could always be installed manually.

I think you're wrong about no-one ever posting problems with Omega
drivers - you may not have seen them, but there's certainly more than
"almost no posts ever:" Omega problems _are_ sometimes posted here. I
would agree with the people who say that most of these problems are
down to badly configured systems, or ones with inherent problems, but,
with something as complex as the driver package for a modern
videocard, I very much doubt it is possible to ensure perfection
without spending a lot more time and resources than is practical. The
same can be said for problems with Ati drivers. It is _not_ true that
there are _never_ problems with Omega drivers.

Additionally, many problems with Omega drivers may occur the first
time someone uses them. Since they are not the first option for an
Ati card, many people experiencing this may not bother posting; they
may just switch back to Ati drivers and get on with their lives. On
the other hand, someone having problems with an Ati driver is looking
at the situation that they are having problems with something that has
a much more central aspect to their card. They're much more likely to
post.

For reasons given above, I would expect Omega drivers to be slightly
less problematic than Ati's original ones, but, for me, don't seem
worth going out of the way for. I _do_ try them now and then. I have
no problem with other people preferring and claiming benefits from
Omega's versions.

However, my statement that I would expect to see more problems
reported for Ati drivers than for Omega's is eminently reasonable. My
comment about there probably being equivalent problems for each was,
as I said, a pure guess, but, again, not unreasonable. I would say,
on reflection, that I would actually expect to see a slightly greater
proportional incidence of problems with Ati drivers, both for reasons
stated above, and because _everyone_ using an Ati card (even, in
another post I saw here this evening, someone wants to try using Ati
drivers on a 6800!) will use the Ati drivers. People who are even
going to consider using Omega's versions are going to be on average at
least a little more savvy than the average Ati user, and therefore a
little more capable of dealing with any problems that may occur, and a
little less likely to have them.

I have to say that, if you really "see almost no posts ever with
problems attributed to Omega's," your card must be a little less well
configured than you think, and the posts must be somewhat blurred!

Sorry, I've gone on a bit here, but seriously, Borolad, I've seen you
make plenty of knowledgeable, helpful and generally useful posts here.
"almost no posts ever with problems attributed to Omega's" isn't one
of them.

patrickp

- take five to email me
Old June 8th 04, 10:14 PM

. n o wrote:

This has been discussed many many times in past. I suggest you search in
google groups for this topic.

From personal experience, ATI and Omega are both EXCELLENT drivers. Omega's
enable better overclock support for some chips (SE versions) and support
Mobility series. Which is why I use them on my m10pro laptop.
Omega often have better tweaks for games, so they tend to increase
performance or IQ (or both) as opposed to ATI ones..

"Striker" wrote in message
m...
Lets hear some comments about ATI over Omega Drivers or vice versa.
Thanks,

From what I see here, the Omegas seem to have less install/upgrade
[...]

Hey patrickp, I never said you made a criticism

I've tried his drivers now and then and, although I've generally not
had problems with them (nor have I with Ati drivers, usually), I've
not seen any benefits, either: I'm not a "latest and greatest" game
player, so perhaps that's why.

7 grandkids plus my own sprogs and my own self, mostly running open
piped ATi's on O/C'd AMD's playing all megga games full welly means
that I have found over these many years the Omega's to be 100% on a
100% system. Any driver set on a ****ty system is not going to be 100%

However, an Omega driver (can't remember now which one) is the only
Ati card driver I was completely unable to install: some of the
earlier Ati Catalyst 3.X ones had problems with the installer, but
could always be installed manually.

There was as mentioned previously a period [ litigation ] when ATi's
own CPl caused the Omegas grief if not ( clean ) uninstalled first. I
still to this day never install the ATi CPl - they hog 'shortcut keys'
like SoundBlaster's used to hog the ' bus '

I think you're wrong about no-one ever posting problems with Omega
drivers - you may not have seen them, but there's certainly more than
"almost no posts ever:" Omega problems _are_ sometimes posted here. I
would agree with the people who say that most of these problems are
down to badly configured systems, or ones with inherent problems, but,
with something as complex as the driver package for a modern
videocard, I very much doubt it is possible to ensure perfection
without spending a lot more time and resources than is practical. The
same can be said for problems with Ati drivers. It is _not_ true that
there are _never_ problems with Omega drivers.

I'll resist !

Additionally, many problems with Omega drivers may occur the first
time someone uses them. Since they are not the first option for an
Ati card, many people experiencing this may not bother posting; they
may just switch back to Ati drivers and get on with their lives. On
the other hand, someone having problems with an Ati driver is looking
at the situation that they are having problems with something that has
a much more central aspect to their card. They're much more likely to
post.

Fair comment !

For reasons given above, I would expect Omega drivers to be slightly
less problematic than Ati's original ones, but, for me, don't seem
worth going out of the way for. I _do_ try them now and then. I have
no problem with other people preferring and claiming benefits from
Omega's versions.

Ditto !

However, my statement that I would expect to see more problems
reported for Ati drivers than for Omega's is eminently reasonable. My
comment about there probably being equivalent problems for each was,
as I said, a pure guess, but, again, not unreasonable. I would say,
on reflection, that I would actually expect to see a slightly greater
proportional incidence of problems with Ati drivers, both for reasons
stated above, and because _everyone_ using an Ati card (even, in
another post I saw here this evening, someone wants to try using Ati
drivers on a 6800!) will use the Ati drivers. People who are even
going to consider using Omega's versions are going to be on average at
least a little more savvy than the average Ati user, and therefore a
little more capable of dealing with any problems that may occur, and a
little less likely to have them.

Accurate observation, I totally agree !

I have to say that, if you really "see almost no posts ever with
problems attributed to Omega's," your card must be a little less well
configured than you think, and the posts must be somewhat blurred!

Ouch, difficult here for me to resist talking the pig into a ham
sandwich . . . . . but I will !

Sorry, I've gone on a bit here, but seriously, Borolad, I've seen you
make plenty of knowledgeable, helpful and generally useful posts here.
"almost no posts ever with problems attributed to Omega's" isn't one
of them.

patrickp

This word was the only thing I disagreed with :

equivalence

You see I genuinely have not seen many, meaning not more than a couple
per year over the many years I've used them. This whole post has
brought me slithering to a halt, I was only my intention to give the
O/P the qualified reassurance that the Omega's are resolutely solid.

If you wish both you and I can set our ' bot ' to pull all + and or -
and publish our results in January 2005.

BoroLad

Omega drivers Steve Ati Videocards 4 April 11th 04 11:26 PM
Omega drivers are out!!! Randy Ati Videocards 14 January 28th 04 05:17 PM
Omega drivers question zlo Ati Videocards 8 October 17th 03 06:37 PM
Omega drivers Richard Rollins Ati Videocards 4 August 25th 03 01:23 AM
Crappy Performance Results and Can't update drivers Andre Southgate Ati Videocards 4 August 18th 03 12:20 PM