Photoshop - 96xx-98xx Range - Does 256MB help more than 128MB?

Old February 6th 04, 01:52 PM
Wayne Youngman

Default Photoshop - 96xx-98xx Range - Does 256MB help more than 128MB?

Hi,

Does having more memory on your graphics card help someone who does allot of
photoshop? I seem to think that the 2D image is stored in Main-Memory, but
actually the more I think about it would seem to make sense for the graphics
card to store the image in its memory.

I seem to think that a graphics card memory is *only* for 3D? what's the
deal?
--
Wayne ][
new specs coming soon!

Old February 6th 04, 02:04 PM
Karl-Werner Lorenz

Am 06.02.2004 14:52 schrieb Wayne Youngman:

Hi,

Does having more memory on your graphics card help someone who does allot of
photoshop? I seem to think that the 2D image is stored in Main-Memory, but
actually the more I think about it would seem to make sense for the graphics
card to store the image in its memory.

I seem to think that a graphics card memory is *only* for 3D? what's the
deal?

A help for Photoshop is Ram, Ram and Ram ...
KW

--
Karl-Werner Lorenz

Old February 6th 04, 02:40 PM
Andrew Marks

PhotoShop will not use the memory on your graphics card only your system Ram
and swap disk. So to improve PhotoShop performance either get more Ram or
add a second (separate) hard disk for the swap file.

Old February 6th 04, 07:51 PM
Dark Avenger

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message ...
Hi,

Does having more memory on your graphics card help someone who does allot of
photoshop? I seem to think that the 2D image is stored in Main-Memory, but
actually the more I think about it would seem to make sense for the graphics
card to store the image in its memory.

I seem to think that a graphics card memory is *only* for 3D? what's the
deal?

.... as the others already tell.. get more system memory! Helps much
more. As Photoshop is not using hardware acceleration and surely not
uses the videomemory.

Having 1 Gb of memory is perfect to start with!
Old February 7th 04, 03:29 AM
Dark Avenger

(Dark Avenger) wrote in message . com...
"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message ...
Hi,

Does having more memory on your graphics card help someone who does allot of
photoshop? I seem to think that the 2D image is stored in Main-Memory, but
actually the more I think about it would seem to make sense for the graphics
card to store the image in its memory.

I seem to think that a graphics card memory is *only* for 3D? what's the
deal?

... as the others already tell.. get more system memory! Helps much
more. As Photoshop is not using hardware acceleration and surely not
uses the videomemory.

Having 1 Gb of memory is perfect to start with!

Well.. Alpha Blending, that is something photoshop can do through
software and hardware acceleration! But that is about all the things
that might depend on the videocard.

In the end the whole output is pure 2D. Even layers are calculated and
made to 2D

Even a nice GF 256 ( yes the first GeForce ) can do photoshop fine
with enough memory and of course a slight powerfull processor. Ya know
I "tested" it once.

An PII 400mhz versus my P4 2Ghz, yes that is quite a difference. Also
in time applying the different layers on the image. The P4 2Ghz is
about 5x as fast as the PII 400Mhz was.

But well..memory is the main key, even a simple banner with ..4 layers
and some text will take..10 to 12 Mb. A bigger project might depending
on how many layers and the different effects..be 100Mb.

If you work with EPS though ( vector based images ) ..mm..200Mb?
250Mb? Hey one thing is sure, you get pure quality images... at the
cost that it takes a ****load of memory and a very long processing
time. He, a friend of me uses photoshop daily on his work making
CD-prints ( he works for a compagny making legal copies of cd's and
other media ).

He gets the images that will be pressed on CD's as... 40Mb EPS files,
opening them even on a MAC takes 10 to 20 minutes.

He, lucky *******...
Old February 7th 04, 04:12 AM
Wayne Youngman

"Dark Avenger" wrote
In the end the whole output is pure 2D. Even layers are calculated and
made to 2D

Hi all,
thanks for helpful replies. He-he allot of that Photoshop *geek-speak* went
over my head, I am building a machine now for a client who want to learn
Photoshop and does a tiny bit of gaming, so I choose a Radeon 9600.

I just wasn't positive whether to get the 128MB or 256MB version, and I was
only *ever* considering the 256Mb version if it helped image stuff in
Photoshop. . .sorted 128Mb it is (already ordered anyhow !)
--
Wayne ][
new specs coming soon!

Old February 7th 04, 01:38 PM
Dark Avenger

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message ...
"Dark Avenger" wrote
In the end the whole output is pure 2D. Even layers are calculated and
made to 2D

Hi all,
thanks for helpful replies. He-he allot of that Photoshop *geek-speak* went
over my head, I am building a machine now for a client who want to learn
Photoshop and does a tiny bit of gaming, so I choose a Radeon 9600.

I just wasn't positive whether to get the 128MB or 256MB version, and I was
only *ever* considering the 256Mb version if it helped image stuff in
Photoshop. . .sorted 128Mb it is (already ordered anyhow !)

As long as the computer is fitted out with enough memory it will run
fine. 512Mb is ... well not really enough for the more complex
photoshop projects. 1 Gigabyte then would be great ( and I can know it
) Plus 1Gb is a sweet deal if you game!
Old February 7th 04, 11:24 PM
Wayne Youngman

"Dark Avenger" wrote
As long as the computer is fitted out with enough memory it will run
fine. 512Mb is ... well not really enough for the more complex
photoshop projects. 1 Gigabyte then would be great ( and I can know it
) Plus 1Gb is a sweet deal if you game!

Hi,
I have a problem with building a balanced system that has 1GB of DDR. I
still think 512MB is enough for most people that aren't seriously *involved*
with Photoshop. The other thing is 1GB of kickass DRR is too expensive
unless you are rich or make money from your computer skills, DDR-II is just
around the corner so I think the time to upgrade from 512MB to 1GB will be
after the price drops. My client is just learning now. . . .
--
Wayne ][
Concepts, Theory, Learning Curves, and woman with big bOObs!

Old February 8th 04, 05:37 AM
Dark Avenger

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message ...
"Dark Avenger" wrote
As long as the computer is fitted out with enough memory it will run
fine. 512Mb is ... well not really enough for the more complex
photoshop projects. 1 Gigabyte then would be great ( and I can know it
) Plus 1Gb is a sweet deal if you game!

Hi,
I have a problem with building a balanced system that has 1GB of DDR. I
still think 512MB is enough for most people that aren't seriously *involved*
with Photoshop. The other thing is 1GB of kickass DRR is too expensive
unless you are rich or make money from your computer skills, DDR-II is just
around the corner so I think the time to upgrade from 512MB to 1GB will be
after the price drops. My client is just learning now. . . .

True.. True!

I think 512Mb on a good configured system will work fine, with
Photoshop. Once indeed we talk about the more complex projects... then
more memory migth come in handy!