AIW to TV Cabling Questions

Old December 9th 03, 10:15 PM
John Schuler

Default AIW to TV Cabling Questions

Hi

I want to connect my AIW to my TV.

TV video inputs: S-Video, Composite
TV audio input: Composite
TV Both: Coax Antenna

Cable length is 27 feet.

As an experiment, I connected the AIW outputs to an RF Modulator and
connected it to the TV Antenna with coax. The video was acceptable, but
the sound was very weak. The sound output from the AIW is of course
connected to my (on-board) sound card and then to the RF Modulator.
Would a plug-in sound card, like a Sound Blaster, work better than the
on-board sound?

With an odd length like this, does it make sense to make my own S-Video
cable? If so, any links on how-to?

Thanks in advance

Old December 9th 03, 10:23 PM
Phrederick

"John Schuler" wrote in message
Hi

I want to connect my AIW to my TV.

TV video inputs: S-Video, Composite
TV audio input: Composite
TV Both: Coax Antenna

Cable length is 27 feet.

As an experiment, I connected the AIW outputs to an RF Modulator and
connected it to the TV Antenna with coax. The video was acceptable, but
the sound was very weak. The sound output from the AIW is of course
connected to my (on-board) sound card and then to the RF Modulator.
Would a plug-in sound card, like a Sound Blaster, work better than the
on-board sound?

YUCK! WHY would you use an RF modulator if your TV has SVideo???????

With an odd length like this, does it make sense to make my own S-Video
cable? If so, any links on how-to?

Go and BUY an SVideo cable...

Old December 9th 03, 10:49 PM
Barry Watzman

You can buy long S-Video cables, but they are expensive, sometimes hard
to find, and you may have to choose between 25 ft. and 50 ft.

Take the "line out" from your sound card (or motherboard sound section)
and feed that into your sound system.

Old December 10th 03, 01:04 AM
Ken Maltby

"Barry Watzman" wrote in message
You can buy long S-Video cables, but they are expensive, sometimes hard
to find, and you may have to choose between 25 ft. and 50 ft.

www.atexelectronics.com/audio/adapters.htm

S-VHS Male - Male: 12' $6.99ea
25' $8.95ea
50' $12.98ea
100' $17.95ea

Luck;
Ken

Old December 10th 03, 01:14 AM
Michael Walraven

Radio Shack has s-video cable and connecters, the connectors come with quick
instructions on making the connection.
If you know which end of a soldering iron to hold on to it is no problem.
Check prices though, it is possible that a pre-made 50' might be cheaper
than buying 50' of cable and two connectors.
(I made a 50' myself a couple of years ago and it worked fine, I didn't
notice any degradation when watching DVD on 30" TV).

You will probably have to make your own RCA audio cables also so pick up
cable and connectors for that at the same time.
BTW, if you already have RCA cables long enough you might try just using the
composite input, if your TV is small and you are watching over-the-air TV
you probably won't see the difference upgrading to S-Video.

Michael

Old December 10th 03, 03:29 AM
Steve P

I bought one of these a year ago and it works great (50 ft)
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...2014&sku=02325

Old December 10th 03, 05:02 AM
Ken Maltby

m...

John Schuler wrote:

Hi

I want to connect my AIW to my TV.

TV video inputs: S-Video, Composite
TV audio input: Composite
TV Both: Coax Antenna

Cable length is 27 feet.

As an experiment, I connected the AIW outputs to an RF Modulator and
connected it to the TV Antenna with coax. The video was acceptable,

but
the sound was very weak. The sound output from the AIW is of course
connected to my (on-board) sound card and then to the RF Modulator.
Would a plug-in sound card, like a Sound Blaster, work better than the
on-board sound?

With an odd length like this, does it make sense to make my own

S-Video
cable? If so, any links on how-to?

Thanks in advance

Of course, if you are into extreme over engineering, you
could do what I did:

take four ea. RG6 coax 50' long

label both ends of them with a Sharpie; S-VHS A , S-VHS B,
Audio Red,
Audio White
run your cables;

attach female RCA to female F connector adapters to each
end of the coax labled S-VHS;

attach male RCA to female F connector adapters to each
end of the coax labled Audio;

attach a S-VHS to two RCA jacks adapter to each end of
the two S-VHS labeled coax w/RCA adapter ;

connect your S-VHS and Audio connections to your devices.

Luck;
Ken