ATI SUCKS!!!! DO NOT BUY ATI PRODUCTS OR YOU'LL BE SORRY!!

Old October 15th 03, 11:40 PM
Tim Reed

Default ATI SUCKS!!!! DO NOT BUY ATI PRODUCTS OR YOU'LL BE SORRY!!

I have used an AIW Radeon w/Media Center for a couple of years and it has
ALWAYS been trouble; thru 3 different OSs - Win98, Win2000 & Win XP Pro -
and I have NEVER been free from crashes & malfunctions despite frequent
updates. But tonight I really blew a gasket. I was using MC 8.5 to record a
crucial ball game - and when I got home the f**ker had CRASHED during the
record!!! No temp file to salvage, either (and no, the storage drive was
*not* full; 65gb available). This is on a machine that got a recent clean
install starting w/XP Pro and the latest drivers from ati.com!!! GODDAMN
THIS PRODUCT SUCKS, THIS IS A FREQUENT OCCURANCE AND I AM *SICK* OF
IT!!!!!!!!

Am I the only user who has had these problems? Does this product work
reliably for anyone???? Windows error reporting has identified the source of
many other crashes as being the ATI graphics drivers; I've also been
experiencing spontaneous reboots, which I can't say for sure are caused by
ATI but I have a pretty strong suspicion ...

Can anyone recommend a competitive TV tuner/capture card that actually
WORKS??? I've had enough of ATI, and am advising all of my friends &
relatives to RUN, DON'T WALK from ATI products. (Yeah, I know I've got an
older card - but it has *NEVER* worked properly; why should I pay $$$ for
another ATI product & trust that it will work better?)

My machine:
V-Card: AIW Radeon
ASUS A7M266 w/AMD 1.333 GHz Athlon
RAM: 512 MB
Scratch drive: Has 65Gb free
System: Recent *clean* install WinXP Pro
Drivers: Latest from ATI (6.14.10.6387)

Some scenarios:
1. Set up PVR record. Come home later to either (a) MC is frozen, Windows
crash notification, or (b) freshly-rebooted system, no recording. Happens
MORE THAN HALF of the time!
2. Sometimes MC crashes while just watching TV. Frequent.
3. Sometimes while watching TV, picture spontaneously "zooms" (upper 1/4 of
picture fills screen, no way to restore). Not common, but not rare either;
may be more common while watching TV-on-demand.
4. Use the jog feature more than once or twice & the picture freezes.
5. Just got MC to crash by resetting screen res & turning off TV display,
them moving the TV window (I can still hear the audio, but the player app is
gone).

There are *plenty* more, these are just the most recent/frequent.

pant, pant ... Sorry to bitch but this POS has been a thorn in my side for
years. I've been lurking here occasionally and haven't seen anything likely
to help ...

Old October 16th 03, 12:02 AM
JAD

I nver really have capture problems.....or timed recording..
Damn cubs lost you didn't miss anything....

;^)

Old October 16th 03, 12:26 AM
Brad

My friend got the newer 64 meg AIW and tried to record a show.. it didnt
work either spite properly setting it.. it just didnt do it for some reason.

I have the 32 meg radeon AIW myself and get similar hassles. The new mmc
8.6 (then updated to 8.7) wouldnt still capture properly. For some reason
it works on mpg but not avi.. It plays all them fine, but with such a common
format.. why the hell cant they have it properly supported ?

I like the video options that come with ATI cards, and would like to upgrade
eventually to 256 megs... but if they arent properly working.. I'll never
buy their product again either

Old October 16th 03, 12:37 AM
Steven

"Tim Reed" wrote in message
[...]

The only ATI product I've had serious problems with has been the ATI PCI TV
Wonder.
OMFG what a pain in the ass that thing was.
I have gone through 4 ATI Display cards though without problem. Including
AIW's.
Though I don't have any NVidia experience to speak of, I couldn't compare
the two companys' products.
I do have to say too that I tried a Haupauge card (spelling??) and that
thing wouldn't work -AT ALL- no matter what I tried.

-Steve

Old October 16th 03, 01:08 AM
Strontium

Cubs suck, anyway.

-

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old October 16th 03, 01:54 AM
JY

"Tim Reed" wrote in message

[...]

Some scenarios:
1. Set up PVR record. Come home later to either (a) MC is frozen, Windows
crash notification, or (b) freshly-rebooted system, no recording. Happens
MORE THAN HALF of the time!

Similar thing for me: scheduled to record & when I come back, it's locked at
the splash screen. Happened more than once. Most irritating. Infuriating
in fact.

2. Sometimes MC crashes while just watching TV. Frequent.
3. Sometimes while watching TV, picture spontaneously "zooms" (upper 1/4

of
picture fills screen, no way to restore). Not common, but not rare either;
may be more common while watching TV-on-demand.
4. Use the jog feature more than once or twice & the picture freezes.
5. Just got MC to crash by resetting screen res & turning off TV display,
them moving the TV window (I can still hear the audio, but the player app

is
gone).

Yes it crashes reliably for me too, though not in those exact ways. I hate
the standard ATI justification: it's always a problem with your "system
configuration". What system? Isn't the main variable their own stupid
video card and driver?? Are there other variables so mysterious which other
hardware makers can handle but ATI can't?

What ****es me off also are the absurdities of the interface (for AIW7500
and WinMe at least; I assume it's the same in XP):

-The fact that "EasyLook" debuted in version 8 when any half-wit would've
put in the very first version. Proper onscreen displays were the first
thing I noticed were absent when I first used TV (with no audio,
incidentally--it had to be reinstalled of course).
-However EasyLook still isn't exactly consistent and thorough. Eighteen
versions from now it will be quite logical and complete.
-Picture settings (brightness, etc) are available in easylook for TV but not
in DVD, etc. Expect those in MMC 29.3, twelve years from now.
-When changing recording presets in PVR, first you click the "Map Preset"
button. What the HELL? Why MAP?? These people have problems communicating
simple ideas in easy to understand terms. I think it's a computer
science-type thing. And then, when the window opens ten seconds later, it's
small and you can't resize it!!
-The TV Guide thing is rife with foolishness when you run it: Why does TV
have to start? Why must TV display change to whatever show you click in the
schedule? Which recording presets are being used--there are more in the
popup list than in PVR? Why does it take like 25 minutes to sort just 1
week of TV listings?
-All of the Help sections are utterly useless, but then that's pretty common
for all s/w. Keep up the good work.

There are many others but what's the point in listing them. Overall the
software is just awkward. It makes you wonder if they've ever even used
their own product because to not catch some of the interface problems you
would have to be retarded.

Stupid defective drivers/installers. Bad crashy multimedia software.
Retarded interfaces. I too would uninstall this card with a chainsaw and
acetylene torch, if there were some real alternative which I don't think
there is. I sum it up as you do: with this card it's just one problem
after another. Installed Cat3.8's and thirty-eight reinstallations later, I
think I got the ATI Support folder to stop opening automatically at startup,
among 90 other problems.

The ATI website was a model of idiotic disorganization and absurdity up
until they stopped abusing heroin and suddenly redesigned it recently. It's
much better now and maybe they can do the same thing with their products.
Unlikely

Old October 16th 03, 02:21 AM
J.Clarke

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:40:03 -0700
"Tim Reed" wrote:

[...]

Quit dinking around and get a Tivo.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old October 16th 03, 03:11 AM
tonto

You are absolutely right. I have spent so much money on different ATI
cards since my first AIW 8 Meg. up to 8500DV 64 Meg. and I still can't
believe my stupidity. I keep buying their crap. But I think this is
the last card I buy from them. You literally have to be a computer
programer to install and or update their drivers.
Support is non existant because we are to stupid to see through the
false advertising and the flashy ads that they promote.

Old October 16th 03, 03:59 AM

wrote:

[...]

ALL I can say is I agree with you. it's too flacky and ATI is out to impress
the GAME crowd, and ignoring us high end $$$$ users

I'm thinking of voting by buying the HAppauge 350, they calim their software
actually does TIMED recording so you can use it as a TIVO setup

I've never been able to do it with the ATI

Old October 16th 03, 04:13 AM
JAD

it is frustrating....here's what weird to me anyway...how so many people loading the same drivers have so many different problems...
Ok so you change your driver package so its a 'full driver install' from a-z. That obviously hasn't worked. I have a machine that
ONLY has windows XP and ME on a dual boot and a ton of music no other programs (except ultra player) not even a full version of a
browser...(IEradicatored) If I install on this machine and have the same problems as the other rigs I have(swapping the vid card)
then I come here to talk about it. Allot of my problems go away when I use this 'clean' system.

Many problems, seems to me, stems from prior installs of other cards, leaving just one DLL,VXD,etc behind could be disastrous. I
trusted UN-install wizards to get all once, and as we know by our c:/windows/temp folder, that just ain't so. Also other software
that alter system files. I have noticed some Video editing and 3D animating software...hell even MAYA bootlegs are on some of these
guys machines!! and any one who use these programs (and many other commercial level software) know that games were never considered
to run in conjunction with this type of software. To put it simply, it does intricate changes to system, capture, and in some cases
Video driver files. Almost everytime a major video card manufacturer comes out with a new card line or driver version, the adobe
online forum goes nuts.

Anyway to blame ATI entirely is not really productive. Changing cards brands, well yeah, but then there will be new and exciting
problems that you can come here to speak about.

Definitely not the last word on the subject by any means, just my 2 cents YMMV