PCI modem on 8KNXP not working

Old January 29th 04, 02:53 AM
Dale Foster

Default PCI modem on 8KNXP not working

Windows XP is unable to detect a PCI modem in my 8KNXP motherboard. The
motherboard came with the F9 bios. When viewing the IRQ assignments (all set
to auto) in the bios, a simple com device (the modem) is occasionally
listed. I can't figure out why the bios sometimes sees the modem, but more
often does not see it. Windows never detects it. The modem works first go in
another computer, and trying another modem didn't work either. Resetting the
bios defaults doesn't help. I've tried PCI slots 2, 3 and 4. The modem is
the only PCI card installed. Fixing an IRQ in the bios didn't work either.

Configuration:
OS: Windows XP SP1 + updates
Motherboard: Gigabyte 8KNXP
Processor: 3.2GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Videocard: Leadtek NVidia Quadro FX 2000
HDD: 2 x 160GB Samsung SATA mirrored with ICH5R
CDROM: Pioneer 106 DVD burner on IDE 0 master
SIL controller disabled
Gigaraid disabled

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dale

Old January 29th 04, 06:38 AM
Dale

Installing both modems (in slots 2 and 3) allows WinXP to detect and operate
the modem in slot 3. The other remains undetected.

Dale.

Old January 30th 04, 09:32 PM
Nick

Hi There,

Had the same problem but this board would also not see my sounblaster
audigy card or pctv card. Tried evewrything to sort it. All the cards worked
fine in my other PC. Solution - bought another board - now have no problems.

Regards

Old February 1st 04, 01:03 PM
Nick

Hi Dale

I got another brand - EPOX.- these boards seem to be so
stable/overclockable and full of gizzmos. Try the 4PDA2+ - very nice board.

Regards

om.au...