GA-7N400 Pro2 - issue with GigaRAID controller.

Old September 27th 03, 07:54 PM
Crow T. Robot

Default GA-7N400 Pro2 - issue with GigaRAID controller.

I just built a system with a GA-7N400 Pro2 board, Athlon XP 2400, 512
RAM, 2 40gig hard drives, 1 DVD-ROM drive, and 1 CD-RW drive. I am
running the GigaRAID controller in ATA mode.

1st hard drive is connected to IDE 1 running Windows XP.
DVD-ROM drive and CD-RW are connected to IDE 2.
2nd hard drive is connected to IDE 3 (GigaRAID controller) and
formatted as FAT32.

The problem is when trying to make a ghost image file of the OS on the
1st hard drive onto the 2nd hard drive. The system will lock up during
the ghost imaging process. I have replaced the ribbon cables and even
tried different hard drives.

Ghost will make backups fine if I connect the 2nd hard drive to IDE 2
in place of the CD drives, or if I install a Promise PCI controller
card and connect the 2nd hard drive to it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm sure the issue is with the GigaRAID controller and it may just be
defective on this one board. Before I send the board back for a
replacement I wanted to see if anyone else had this problem just to
make sure it is just this board and not a defect that is in all of
these boards.

Thanks.
Crow

http://www.usenet.com
Old September 28th 03, 05:09 AM
jpsga

Did you go through the GigaRAID set-up procedure and ask for a NORMAL drive?
Did you do a fdisk and then format the drive?
expressions like ".....formatted as FAT32" made one suspicious. The File
Attribute Table is set up by Fdisk based on your input and the drive size.

JPS

Old September 28th 03, 06:58 AM
ju58

I have same Mobo and have no trouble using Norton Ghost to make backup from
RAID array (mirror) to IDE drive. I did not use fdisk etc, used just
existing drive installed GigoRAID driver and then had it it mirrored.

Juergen