8KNXP slow copying over LAN

Old September 1st 03, 04:04 PM
Scott

Default 8KNXP slow copying over LAN

Hi,

I've had my 8KNXP running for about a month now. I have my old P2 200mhz
machine running beside it. Every night I backup 700mb from a 3rd computer
on the LAN. I have no other complaints with the 8KNXP other than the copy
time problem below.

With the P2 machine the backup takes about 20 minutes. The 8KNXP varies the
time to copy. Once in awhile it takes about 12 or 15 minutes. Most of the
time it's taking 1.5 to 2 hours. Anyone give me any clues about how to
resolve the speed issue? I'm not sure if it's the LAN port or something
else.

I've tried booting the source and 8KNXP computers cold with no one accessing
either but that didn't make a difference. The temperature of the CPU
doesn't make a difference. I don't have antivirus or firewall installed on
the 8KNXP yet. XP reports the LAN port as working properly. I don't see
any speed issue in accessing the Internet. Again, the P2 machine is always
consistent in its copying speed.

Here's the setup:
P4 3.0ghz (default settings, no overclocking)
2gb RAM (4 Kingston 512mb in dual channels)
eVGA geforce fx 5900 ultra (no other add-on boards besides this one)
WinXP
Western Digital 250gb IDE hard drive
4 partitions, one at the beginning of the hard drive, the rest at the end

Thanks in advance.
-- Scott
Old September 1st 03, 05:10 PM
Timothy Drouillard

So many questions....

Are you using a hub or switch to connect all the machines? What make/model
What make/model/speed if NIC is in each machine
At what speed is each machine connecting to the hub/switch
is each machine connecting at half-duplex or full-duplex
are you using home-made cables or store-bought network cables
what version of Windows is on each machine

Old September 2nd 03, 07:32 PM
Jeff

Open XP task manager and look at the network tab - should give you an
idea of throughput. Also under view/columns add extra fields to
inspect. On my 8KNXP I can expect around 70-80MB/s raid - raid on
switch based network.
Try mapping a network drive between the machines for your copy, it
only validates the user on the initial connect then.
Jeff

Old September 2nd 03, 10:54 PM
Tim

Use task manager on both machines to watch for activity during the copy.
If you have the indexing service active, anti virus doing a scan, or any
other kind of heavy IO activity occuring on either computer then this will
greatly affect your backup times.

Don't forget there is also the Performance Monitor (in XP, Win2k, NT, not
Win 9x - Administrative Tools, Performance). With this you can observe with
quite minimal impact numerous meters that exist on the system - Disc IO's,
CPU, Network, and many many others. Prior to XP, you had to Turn On the disc
IO monitoring... in a command window: diskperf.exe

Task Manager is best first stop - as Jeff says open it and watch what is
going on, but consider watching on both machines. You can select much extra
info to view in Task Manager from the View menu, Select Columns while in
Networking or Process view.

Is your network cabling up to scratch?

- Tim