Help! BIOS flash gone bad

Old December 13th 04, 09:31 AM
XOffender

Default Help! BIOS flash gone bad

I own a P5AD2 Deluxe motherboard. I had a BIOS flash freeze on me, and now I
can't start up my machine at all, not even to boot from a floppy or CD in
order to reflash. As soon as I power on, I get the "System failed CPU test"
voice message, and there isn't even any signal going to the monitor. I tried
removing the CMOS battery and using the jumpers to clear CMOS, but nothing
changed.

What are my options at this point? Is there anything I can do to reflash the
BIOS, or am I stuck getting an RMA from Asus? I know there are options for
ordering a new BIOS chip to install oneself, but I'd rather not do that. Any
other possibilities?

Old December 13th 04, 09:55 AM
Gordon Scott

http://www.amptron.com/documents/Recover.pdf
Old December 13th 04, 11:50 AM
XOffender

"Gordon Scott" wrote in message

http://www.amptron.com/documents/Recover.pdf

Thanks very much for the link. Good information there. Unfortunately,
neither of those methods help me. My machine doesn't even try to access the
floppy drive when I power it on, so having a floppy in the drive with the
BIOS on it doesn't help. And I can't hot-swap/hot-flash, as I don't have
another motherboard with the same type of BIOS chip. I guess I'm left at the
mercy of Asus, unless anyone else has a suggestion.

Old December 13th 04, 11:51 AM
dino

also...you can not get an RMA for a bad flash. If you get an RMA and they
diagnose back to the flash you will be charged for the new board and/or
recovery of the old.

Old December 13th 04, 12:29 PM
tomcas

XOffender wrote:
"Gordon Scott" wrote in message

http://www.amptron.com/documents/Recover.pdf

Thanks very much for the link. Good information there. Unfortunately,
neither of those methods help me. My machine doesn't even try to access the
floppy drive when I power it on, so having a floppy in the drive with the
BIOS on it doesn't help. And I can't hot-swap/hot-flash, as I don't have
another motherboard with the same type of BIOS chip. I guess I'm left at the
mercy of Asus, unless anyone else has a suggestion.

The mobos don't have to be identical to do a hot flash.
Old December 13th 04, 02:11 PM

Here are your options directly from ASUS:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your support for our products!

Please start by clearing the system c-mos memory following the
procedure in your manual. Make sure the power AND the battery on the
motherboard is removed before shorting the CLR RTC solder points or
jumper pins. Short the pins for at least 20-30 seconds.

If this is still not working, you can have your old BIOS chip
reprogrammed or order a new, reprogrammed chip from us.

********************************** IMPORTANT
************************************************** *********************************************

Please refer to your manual to locate the BIOS chip on your
motherboard. If the chip is removable, it will be fitted into a
socket. Please be careful when removing the chip--do not damage the
socket or the chip. Make sure you remove the chip from the socket, but
DO NOT remove the socket from the motherboard.

************************************************** *********************************************

************************************************** *********************************************

Here is the BIOS pricing guide, along with the procedure to obtain a
new/reflashed BIOS chip.

Pricing Guide for Continental United States Orders:

REFLASHED CHIP - Customer mails in their BIOS chip.

Flash sent UPS Ground (roughly 2-10 days)...$5.00 (this price covers
S&H...the flash is free)

Flash sent UPS Overnight (next day)...$20.00 (this price covers
S&H...the flash is free)

NEW CHIP

New chip sent UPS Ground (roughly 2-10 days)...$25.00 (this price
covers the chip and S&H)

New chip sent UPS Overnight (next day)...$40.00 (this price covers the
chip and S&H)

Pricing Guide for Hawaii and Puerto Rico Orders:

REFLASHED CHIP (Customer's original BIOS chip)

Flash sent UPS 2nd Day (2 days)...$20.00 (this price covers S&H...the
flash is free)

Flash sent UPS Overnight (next day)...$30.00 (this price covers
S&H...the flash is free)

NEW CHIP

New chip sent UPS 2nd Day (2 days)...$35.00 (this price covers the chip
and S&H)

New chip sent UPS Overnight (next day)...$55.00 (this price covers the
chip and S&H)

We can only ship UPS 2nd Day Air, or Overnight, to Hawaii.

Pricing Guide for Canadian Orders:

FLASHED OR NEW CHIP - Via FEDEX Ground Delivery

$35.00 (USD, standard price for Canada)

We cannot ship Overnight to Canada due to customs.

Sending Bios Chips Through the Mail

Make sure to include the BIOS chip, your name, mailing address, daytime
phone number, motherboard model number, version of the BIOS you would
like flashed and payment to the address below.

***************************IMPORTANT NOTICE*************************

When you send a chip to be flashed, you must put the chip in a hard,
protective container. If not, the chip could possibly arrive damaged.

We DO NOT accept entire motherboards, only BIOS chips. Also, we do not
accept damaged BIOS chips, so please package your BIOS securely (see
the notice above). We can only send BIOS chips within the Continental
United States, Hawaii and Canada.

Methods of Payment

To place an order over the phone, we accept MasterCard or Visa. If you
choose to send payment through the mail, we accept personal checks (but
not starter checks), company checks, and money orders. WE DO NOT HAVE
A BILLING OPTION. If you wish to purchase a chip through the mail and
want to pay with a credit card:

DO NOT SEND CREDIT CARD INFORMATION THROUGH THE MAIL. Please attach a
letter advising us to contact you for payment information.

Please send BIOS chips to:

ASUS Technology
Attn: BIOS Dept
7100 Intermodal Drive
Suite A
Louisville, KY 40258

Please do not respond to this email. If you need further assistance
please contact our BIOS department at 502-995-0883 x7172.

Please note that the following boards have BIOS chips that may be
non-removable:

CUSL2-C
CUSL2
P4T
P4T-E
P4B
CUR-DLS
CUSI-FX

If the BIOS chip is not in a socket, and is instead soldered directly
to the motherboard, you must contact our RMA department for BIOS
repairs. You may contact them by telephone @ 510-739-3777 option 3, or
e-mail them at:

Please provide your case number and your motherboard's serial number
when contacting them.

Old December 13th 04, 08:40 PM
PawsForThought

Have you tried to cold start the computer with your Asus installation CD that
came with the motherboard? I believe it should have a BIOS recovery feature,
but not sure. Would be worth a try anyway.
Old December 14th 04, 09:56 AM
X Offender

Update: I talked to Asus, and it was determined that I needed my BIOS chip
reflashed or needed a new one. They would have reflashed mine for free if I
sent it in and paid for shipping, but I didn't want to wait any longer than
necessary, so I just ordered a new chip with overnight shipping for $40
total. You can now order them right from the Asus website, without even
having to speak to anyone, which is nice. Sucks having to spend money on
something that their flash utility screwed up, but what can you do? All of
my work data is on SATA drives in my non-function machine, and I don't have
another SATA-capable computer here, so I can't access anything until I get
up and running again. Anyway, thanks for all of the help.

Old December 15th 04, 03:09 AM
dino

good luck....

Old P/I-P55TP4XE BIOS flash problems Erick Ondich Asus Motherboards 2 December 6th 04 03:43 PM
flash gigabyte bios Krzysztof M. General 5 September 25th 04 11:55 PM
A7V8X-X - Flash failed, killed my BIOS... :( JH Asus Motherboards 7 June 7th 04 05:55 PM
BIOS flash for A7A266 not working Die Spammer !!! Asus Motherboards 4 May 21st 04 06:31 PM
A7V333-X new BIOS 1004 Paul Asus Motherboards 4 June 26th 03 12:08 PM