Please help me find my bottleneck!

Old February 23rd 04, 06:29 PM
GoldSpider

Default Please help me find my bottleneck!

I have an ASUS P4P800-VM with a 1.7GHz CPU and 1GB of PC3200 DDR-RAM.
I really don't think I'm getting the kind of performance out of my
system, and was hoping someone here could help me find what may be
slowing me down.

I ran CPU-Z and posted the results at
http://home.comcast.net/~goldspider/cpuz.htm.

Not included in the CPU-Z report is that I also have a 120GB Seagate
SATA hard drive and an ATI Radeon 9800 (128MB) video card.

I suspect the problem may have something to do with the fact that the
CPU/RAM FSB is only 100/133 MHz respectively. From what I have seen,
it would appear that the CPU multiplier is locked at 17, forcing, I
suppose, the FSB at 100 MHz.

If I'm going to get everything running at 400MHz FSB, would I have to
buy a new processor? And that's assuming that the bottleneck is in
fact the FSB.

Any advice would be most appreciated!
Old February 23rd 04, 06:47 PM
Ben Pope

GoldSpider wrote:
I have an ASUS P4P800-VM with a 1.7GHz CPU and 1GB of PC3200 DDR-RAM.
I really don't think I'm getting the kind of performance out of my
system, and was hoping someone here could help me find what may be
slowing me down.

Where the bottleneck is will be highly dependant on what you are doing with
your system.

Ben

Old February 23rd 04, 07:07 PM
Stephan Grossklass

GoldSpider schrieb:

I have an ASUS P4P800-VM with a 1.7GHz CPU and 1GB of PC3200 DDR-RAM.
I really don't think I'm getting the kind of performance out of my
system, and was hoping someone here could help me find what may be
slowing me down.

Well, in what applications is the system slow? Have you run some
(hopefully meaningful) benchmarks?

I ran CPU-Z and posted the results at
http://home.comcast.net/~goldspider/cpuz.htm.

I understand the P4P800-VM has some kind of i865 chipset. Isn't that
supposed not to support old Willamette core P4s like yours?!

Not included in the CPU-Z report is that I also have a 120GB Seagate
SATA hard drive and an ATI Radeon 9800 (128MB) video card.

Both of which shouldn't really be sluggish.

If I'm going to get everything running at 400MHz FSB,

You mean FSB800 = 200 MHz FSB?

would I have to
buy a new processor?

Yes. I'd look at a P4 2.4C or 2.8C.

And that's assuming that the bottleneck is in
fact the FSB.

Regardless of FSB, you'd at least be running the board in spec with a
P4C... and it'd be faster, too. Your cooling is OK?

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xCel300A, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, GF2MX AGP 32 MiB, 110W
Old February 24th 04, 12:00 AM
DaveW

Yes, it's time to update your CPU if you want more speed. Your CPU is a
bottleneck.

--
DaveW

om...