Instructions for replacing stock Intel P4 3GHz heatsink?

Old February 20th 04, 06:20 PM
wheel

Default Instructions for replacing stock Intel P4 3GHz heatsink?

I've looked around, and have not found yet, some clear step by step
instructions for replacing an intel P4 3GHz stock heatsink and fan with
a different unit. I have the new unit, and Coolermaster Aero 4. Primary
concern is getting the thermal pad on the stock unit removed or dealt
with properly. I've read enough to know that the thermal pad may have
bonded with the cpu, but have not found a lot of detail about separation
and cleaning issues. Any clues appreciated.
Old February 20th 04, 07:19 PM
Courseyauto

I've looked around, and have not found yet, some clear step by step
instructions for replacing an intel P4 3GHz stock heatsink and fan with
a different unit. I have the new unit, and Coolermaster Aero 4. Primary
concern is getting the thermal pad on the stock unit removed or dealt
with properly. I've read enough to know that the thermal pad may have
bonded with the cpu, but have not found a lot of detail about separation
and cleaning issues. Any clues appreciated.

.

When you remove the heatsink you will see a small aluminum pad that is stuck
to the heatsink,once you get one edge of it lifted it will peel off. The cpu
will only have some compound on it just clean it with some acetone or
equivalent solvent. The stock heatsink works quite well.it is a
aluminum-copper unit, the coolermaster might not cool any better than the Intel
unit. DOUG
Old February 21st 04, 01:41 AM
Philip Callan

Old February 21st 04, 04:06 AM
Sarak

I know your going to think im nuts...but i have moved heatsinks from
celerons and PIV cpus without changing the pad. Often thermal goes up 2-3
degrees but have had them running for quite some time with no problems. I
know your supposed to replace the pad but like I say in about 20 systems I
have had no trouble. Athlon is a different story.