Mass Storage Controller - How to Fix Problem

Old October 31st 03, 09:57 AM
Susan

Default Mass Storage Controller - How to Fix Problem

Problem: Upon boot-up you get prompted to install driver for a device
not found, the Mass Storage Controller. But your system works fine,
and you don't have a clue why this message is popping up, but it's a
pain, and you get that yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager. I
got it after I installed a New Hard Drive and reinstalled Win2k and
all the programs from scratch.

Solution: Thanks to tips from this group, I will confirm how to fix
it. The problem has to do with the MOTHERBOARD drivers, the Ultra 100
IDE Controller Driver. I happen to have an Asus a7v133, and I still
have the CD that came with it, and this is what I found on the CD:
(Copied and Pasted):

--------INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE MOTHERBOARD CD-------

Install Win2000 Promise Ultra 100 IDE Controller Driver manually.

1. Right click "My Computer" icon on the desktop. Select "Properties"
when the menu appears.

Or you can Press "Start" button. Move highlight bar to "Settings"
and select "Control Panel". Double click on "System" icon.

2. Select "Hardware" page and then click [Device Manager] button.

3. View device by type and find "Other devices" node.

4. Right Click the "MASS STORAGE CONTROLLER" node.

5. When the menu appears, click the "Properties" item.

6. Please select select [Driver] page to update driver.

7. Press Next while "Upgrade Device Driver Wizard" window appears.

8. Choose "Select for a suitable driver for my device(recommended)"
option and then press Next.

9. Select "Specify a location" check box.

10. Type or browse the path {CD-ROM Drive}:\Promise\Ata100\Win2000 to
the driver and click OK.

11. Press Next.

12. Press Yes.

13. Finally, press Finish to complete the installation.

14. Please restart you computer for these changes to take effect.

CONCLUSION: Worked like a charm. No more annoying pop-up, and device
manager is beautiful. Still have more stuff to install, though. Hope
I don't get any more problems. : )

If any of you need this particular driver I'll be happy to share it
with you.

Susan