problems using a extra HDD on KT7-RAID motherboard

Old April 4th 04, 09:55 AM
Nick

Default problems using a extra HDD on KT7-RAID motherboard

Hi there,

i've got a Abit KT7-RAID motherboard and i'm running the following config on win2k.

IDE 1 - hdd master and slave
IDE 2 - dvd rom and cd-rw
RAID IDE 3 - one hdd only
RAID IDE 4 - nothing.

I want to use my extra hdd on my raid ide port as another hdd. But windows/my bios doesn't seem to recognise and it doesn't pick it up. Can you do this (i'm pretty sure that you can run an extra hdd on your raid ide port as a normal ide port.)

any ideas on how i can get this to work?

- thanks for any comments.

Old April 4th 04, 11:23 PM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 18:55:29 +1000, Nick wrote:

Hi there,

i've got a Abit KT7-RAID motherboard and i'm running the following
config on win2k.

IDE 1 - hdd master and slave
IDE 2 - dvd rom and cd-rw
RAID IDE 3 - one hdd only
RAID IDE 4 - nothing.

I want to use my extra hdd on my raid ide port as another hdd. But
windows/my bios doesn't seem to recognise and it doesn't pick it up. Can
you do this (i'm pretty sure that you can run an extra hdd on your raid
ide port as a normal ide port.)

any ideas on how i can get this to work?

This is what I had on this board.
VIA
IDE1=CDR(master), LS120 (slave)
IDE2=cdrw/dvd combo (master)
HPT370
IDE3=boot drive (master)
IDE4=data drive (master)
no problems with W95/98, OS/2, DOS, Linux.
If you're using an old bios, you might want to upgrade.

Old April 5th 04, 05:18 PM
Jim

Did you install the RAID drivers in W2K?! Also, make sure your mobo BIOS is
using the latest HPT BIOS. Abit has a habit of not updating the HPT BIOS
when they update the mobo BIOS. There may simply be bugs in the old,
original HPT BIOS!

HTH

Jim

Old April 7th 04, 02:02 AM
Wabbit

"Nick" wrote:

i've got a Abit KT7-RAID motherboard and i'm running the following
config on win2k.

IDE 1 - hdd master and slave
IDE 2 - dvd rom and cd-rw
RAID IDE 3 - one hdd only
RAID IDE 4 - nothing.

I have KT7-Raid and loaded BIOS A9 w/HPT 2.351
see http://www.racelinecentral.com/bios_downloads.html

IDE 1 DVD-ROM (Master)
IDE 2 DVD+/-RW (Master)
RAID IDE3 HD (Master using Removeable HD Tray)
RAID IDE4 HD (Master using Removeable HD Tray)

If you are using a newer hard disk, make sure that you are using the
correct ATA cable. ATA-100 Cable has one end that is blue that plugs into
the motherboard. If the hard drive is also very large, you made need to
update the BIOS to the one I'm using.

I use the following ATA100 hard drives: 30GB, 60GB, 80Gb, 120GB, 180GB
I only use 2 at time as I do not need to access all my disks. It is easier
to swap out the drives to run different oses. I could connect all the
disks if I also set some of them as slaves. Why are my hard drives on the
HPT controller? It's the only ATA100 controller on KT7 non A system board.
IDE 1 & 2 are ATA66.

I'm running WinXP Pro, but I used to run Win98, NT 4.0, Win2K.

Wabbit