An ATI video card can damage a pci card in the slot just below?

Old February 6th 05, 03:30 AM
PineNut

Default An ATI video card can damage a pci card in the slot just below?

I have an ATI 9200 video card and installed an Intel Pro 100B NIC in
the right next PCI slot. In a day or so, the nic no longer worked
under Solaris 10 x86 although it is still happily performing its job
under Linux and Windows. During the booting time, Solaris lists a
bunch of error messages about the nic.

Therefore, it appears that a minor chip could have been damaged by the
heat generated by the video card although I have a very good
ventilation system installed in my box.

Has anyone experienced similar incidents?

Old February 6th 05, 03:47 AM
lakesnow

"PineNut" wrote in message
I have an ATI 9200 video card and installed an Intel Pro 100B NIC in
the right next PCI slot. In a day or so, the nic no longer worked
under Solaris 10 x86 although it is still happily performing its job
under Linux and Windows. During the booting time, Solaris lists a
bunch of error messages about the nic.

Therefore, it appears that a minor chip could have been damaged by the
heat generated by the video card although I have a very good
ventilation system installed in my box.

Has anyone experienced similar incidents?

Not sure if the heat may damage the card in the next slot, though it may be
conceivable.

Probably some conflict in address ? You can test by moving the NIC to
another
PCI slot. Even in Windows and Linux, this conflict in address happens.

Old February 6th 05, 03:50 AM
JJO

If the card works properly under Linux and Windows then a damaged card is
not likely. However some motherboards are not happy with a card inserted in
the PCI slot next to the AGP slot. It is more likely that this is a conflict
but I have only seen this on rare occasions myself.

Regards,
John O.

Old February 6th 05, 04:07 AM
drgynfly

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 03:30:08 UTC, PineNut wrote:

| I have an ATI 9200 video card and installed an Intel Pro 100B NIC in
| the right next PCI slot. In a day or so, the nic no longer worked
| under Solaris 10 x86 although it is still happily performing its job
| under Linux and Windows. During the booting time, Solaris lists a
| bunch of error messages about the nic.
|
| Therefore, it appears that a minor chip could have been damaged by the
| heat generated by the video card although I have a very good
| ventilation system installed in my box.
|
| Has anyone experienced similar incidents?

It's possible that your mainboard's dpmi/escd information was
confused by some obscure conflict between the two cards. Also,
if the nic has nvram onboard, that could have become corrupted.
I've seen both happen.

Old February 6th 05, 04:27 PM
PineNut

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 12:47:22 +0900, "lakesnow"
wrote:

Not sure if the heat may damage the card in the next slot, though it may be
conceivable.

Probably some conflict in address ? You can test by moving the NIC to
another
PCI slot. Even in Windows and Linux, this conflict in address happens.

It worked before in that location. I moved it to another slot and it
still does not work.

Old February 6th 05, 04:29 PM
PineNut

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 22:50:07 -0500, "JJO" wrote:

If the card works properly under Linux and Windows then a damaged card is
not likely. However some motherboards are not happy with a card inserted in
the PCI slot next to the AGP slot. It is more likely that this is a conflict
but I have only seen this on rare occasions myself.

Regards,
John O.

I don't have anything in the first PCI slot now and I moved the nic in
question to another location, which did not solve the problem.
Old February 7th 05, 06:40 AM
PineNut

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 11:32:24 -0800, "JAD"
wrote:

In the CMOS
reset configuration data to YES
PnP os installed to NO

I am sorry that did not help at all.

The same error messages uttered by the checking devices part of the
boot program. The screen was scrolling too fast to jog down all the
messages. Two of them were something like:
failed DL-BADPPA, failed DL-OUTSTATE. And there are two more.

The card worked well for more than 2 weeks with Solaris without any
change in the BIOS as you suggested.

Re Video card problem oldgrey General 0 January 15th 05 05:08 PM
Best Video Card - NON-Game Use Phil Homebuilt PC's 13 November 19th 04 07:13 PM
Video Card or Power Supply problem? Sapphire Radeon 9600 PRO, generic 300W PS, MSI 845Neo-FIS2R MB Nick Z Homebuilt PC's 2 June 6th 04 12:29 AM
fx 5200 sweet deal but will it work ? Skybuck Flying General 20 May 12th 04 05:31 PM
video card replaced, machine will only boot to safe mode hiphop General 2 November 5th 03 08:06 AM