Unstable system w/K8N Neo2 Platinum MOBO & Crucial's memory modules, please help!!!

Old November 3rd 04, 06:51 PM
Chinche

Default Unstable system w/K8N Neo2 Platinum MOBO & Crucial's memory modules, please help!!!

I just finished assambling my new system with the following configuration:

MOBO:
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum retailed
MEMORY:
Crucial (512MB X 2) 1 GB PC3200 400Mhz CL3 DDR DIMM (Model:
CT6464Z40B)
CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ retail boxed 64-bit socket
CASE & PSU:
Antec True480 480W & FCC psu
Antec P160 aluminum mid tower
AUDIO:
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro (not installed yet)
VIDEO:
ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256MB
STORAGE:
WD 200 Gb, 7200
OPERATING SYSTEM:
WinXP Pro

The first time I tried to installed WinXP, the computer would freeze in the
middle of the installation. After several attempts to install, I removed
one of the memory sticks and the installation went through normally. I
replaced the memory stick in the system and after several minutes the
computer would freeze again. I removed the other stick of memory (the one I
used for the installation) and the computer will run normally for a couple
of hours until I decided to test the other stick I've removed. I replaced
the other stick and the computer would run o.k. for a couple of hours. When
I inserted both sticks again, the computer would freeze after several
minutes.

Apparently MSI is aware of the problem because they posted the following in
their Product Specification link:

http://www.winguides.com/drivers/ext...+International

*********************************
"Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system
configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron
Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the
motherboard) such as DDR voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please
confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better
system stability.

Example: Kingston HyperX DDR500 PC4000 operates at 2.65V, 3-4-4-8, CL=3.
For more information about specification of high performance memory modules,
please check with your Memory Manufactures for more details."
*********************************
This is defenetely a memory-MOBO issue. Has anybody experience the problem
above? Or if some one know the configuration for the memory "Crucial" brand
please post it.

Also, I noticed that when plugging the USB mouse to the MOBO, the system
also freezes.

My recommendation is to stay away from this MOBO!!!!

TIA

Rodent

Old November 3rd 04, 08:15 PM
Monster

My recommendation is to stay away from this MOBO!!!!

I did. but because the K8N series are too expensive!