A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » Homebuilt PC's
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

led flashing after bios update...black screen



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 25th 04, 06:45 PM
Jason Gallas
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default led flashing after bios update...black screen

I have a Chaintech 7NJS ZENITH Motherboard and an Athlon XP 3200+. I
just attempted a Bios Update on the system. All went well except for
the end when there was a loud beeping noise and then a black screen.
I rebooted and now the power LED is flashing but nothing comes up.
How can I get it back up and running?

Jason

  #2  
Old September 25th 04, 07:01 PM
Dee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Jason Gallas wrote:
I have a Chaintech 7NJS ZENITH Motherboard and an Athlon XP 3200+. I
just attempted a Bios Update on the system. All went well except for
the end when there was a loud beeping noise and then a black screen.
I rebooted and now the power LED is flashing but nothing comes up.
How can I get it back up and running?

Jason

Check the Chaintech web site. Most MB manufacturers have specific
information on how to recover from just such a situation.

  #3  
Old September 25th 04, 07:56 PM
ToolPackinMama
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Jason Gallas wrote:

I have a Chaintech 7NJS ZENITH Motherboard and an Athlon XP 3200+. I
just attempted a Bios Update on the system. All went well except for
the end when there was a loud beeping noise and then a black screen.
I rebooted and now the power LED is flashing but nothing comes up.
How can I get it back up and running?


Reset the CMOS?
  #4  
Old September 25th 04, 11:55 PM
Jason Gallas
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 14:56:24 -0400, ToolPackinMama
wrote:

Jason Gallas wrote:

I have a Chaintech 7NJS ZENITH Motherboard and an Athlon XP 3200+. I
just attempted a Bios Update on the system. All went well except for
the end when there was a loud beeping noise and then a black screen.
I rebooted and now the power LED is flashing but nothing comes up.
How can I get it back up and running?


Reset the CMOS?


I tried resetting it by removing the jumper and putting it into the
reset area. However when I attempt to boot up again it still fails.
Any hints on anything else I can try?

  #5  
Old September 26th 04, 02:20 AM
Glenn M
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:55:03 -0700, Jason Gallas
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 14:56:24 -0400, ToolPackinMama
wrote:

Jason Gallas wrote:

I have a Chaintech 7NJS ZENITH Motherboard and an Athlon XP 3200+. I
just attempted a Bios Update on the system. All went well except for
the end when there was a loud beeping noise and then a black screen.
I rebooted and now the power LED is flashing but nothing comes up.
How can I get it back up and running?


Reset the CMOS?


I tried resetting it by removing the jumper and putting it into the
reset area. However when I attempt to boot up again it still fails.
Any hints on anything else I can try?


Go to another computer and see if you can download the bios to a
floppy disk ... make sure you are using the correct bios for the
correct revision of your main board... then see if you can re-flash
the bios again...
Glenn M

  #6  
Old September 26th 04, 07:09 AM
Jason Gallas
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 21:20:19 -0400, Glenn M wrote:

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:55:03 -0700, Jason Gallas
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 14:56:24 -0400, ToolPackinMama
wrote:

Jason Gallas wrote:

I have a Chaintech 7NJS ZENITH Motherboard and an Athlon XP 3200+. I
just attempted a Bios Update on the system. All went well except for
the end when there was a loud beeping noise and then a black screen.
I rebooted and now the power LED is flashing but nothing comes up.
How can I get it back up and running?

Reset the CMOS?


I tried resetting it by removing the jumper and putting it into the
reset area. However when I attempt to boot up again it still fails.
Any hints on anything else I can try?


Go to another computer and see if you can download the bios to a
floppy disk ... make sure you are using the correct bios for the
correct revision of your main board... then see if you can re-flash
the bios again...
Glenn M


Cant even get to that point. The computer won't boot at all, even to
a bios screen. I guess I'm out of luck huh?

  #7  
Old September 26th 04, 08:40 AM
David Maynard
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Jason Gallas wrote:

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 21:20:19 -0400, Glenn M wrote:


On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:55:03 -0700, Jason Gallas
wrote:


On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 14:56:24 -0400, ToolPackinMama
wrote:


Jason Gallas wrote:

I have a Chaintech 7NJS ZENITH Motherboard and an Athlon XP 3200+. I
just attempted a Bios Update on the system. All went well except for
the end when there was a loud beeping noise and then a black screen.
I rebooted and now the power LED is flashing but nothing comes up.
How can I get it back up and running?

Reset the CMOS?

I tried resetting it by removing the jumper and putting it into the
reset area. However when I attempt to boot up again it still fails.
Any hints on anything else I can try?


Go to another computer and see if you can download the bios to a
floppy disk ... make sure you are using the correct bios for the
correct revision of your main board... then see if you can re-flash
the bios again...
Glenn M



Cant even get to that point. The computer won't boot at all, even to
a bios screen. I guess I'm out of luck huh?


No, you're thinking of it booting in a manner you're used to. What he's
talking about is that many new motherboards have a 'hidden' flash procedure
embedded in the BIOS that is never over-written, even with a bad flash,
that will bootstrap in a new BIOS flash (often a blind floppy boot with
special files on it) if you follow their procedure.

Now, it's possible the flash blew the flash chip itself; in which case even
the blind boot recovery won't work as it's 'broke', not just a bad flash.

You can get replacement BIOS chips, flashed with the BIOS file you send
them, from badflash.com for $25, though.

  #8  
Old September 27th 04, 12:27 AM
Jason Gallas
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 02:40:33 -0500, David Maynard
wrote:

Jason Gallas wrote:

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 21:20:19 -0400, Glenn M wrote:


On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:55:03 -0700, Jason Gallas
wrote:


On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 14:56:24 -0400, ToolPackinMama
wrote:


Jason Gallas wrote:

I have a Chaintech 7NJS ZENITH Motherboard and an Athlon XP 3200+. I
just attempted a Bios Update on the system. All went well except for
the end when there was a loud beeping noise and then a black screen.
I rebooted and now the power LED is flashing but nothing comes up.
How can I get it back up and running?

Reset the CMOS?

I tried resetting it by removing the jumper and putting it into the
reset area. However when I attempt to boot up again it still fails.
Any hints on anything else I can try?

Go to another computer and see if you can download the bios to a
floppy disk ... make sure you are using the correct bios for the
correct revision of your main board... then see if you can re-flash
the bios again...
Glenn M



Cant even get to that point. The computer won't boot at all, even to
a bios screen. I guess I'm out of luck huh?


No, you're thinking of it booting in a manner you're used to. What he's
talking about is that many new motherboards have a 'hidden' flash procedure
embedded in the BIOS that is never over-written, even with a bad flash,
that will bootstrap in a new BIOS flash (often a blind floppy boot with
special files on it) if you follow their procedure.

Now, it's possible the flash blew the flash chip itself; in which case even
the blind boot recovery won't work as it's 'broke', not just a bad flash.

You can get replacement BIOS chips, flashed with the BIOS file you send
them, from badflash.com for $25, though.


Saw that procedure. I don't think that my motherboard has it however.
I will look into replacing the flash, but it seems that the MB
manufacturer is partially responsible for this as it was their MB that
mis-flashed. Any luck in getting them to pay for the re-flash?

  #9  
Old September 27th 04, 01:54 AM
David Maynard
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Jason Gallas wrote:

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 02:40:33 -0500, David Maynard
wrote:


Jason Gallas wrote:


On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 21:20:19 -0400, Glenn M wrote:



On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:55:03 -0700, Jason Gallas
wrote:



On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 14:56:24 -0400, ToolPackinMama
wrote:



Jason Gallas wrote:


I have a Chaintech 7NJS ZENITH Motherboard and an Athlon XP 3200+. I
just attempted a Bios Update on the system. All went well except for
the end when there was a loud beeping noise and then a black screen.
I rebooted and now the power LED is flashing but nothing comes up.
How can I get it back up and running?

Reset the CMOS?

I tried resetting it by removing the jumper and putting it into the
reset area. However when I attempt to boot up again it still fails.
Any hints on anything else I can try?

Go to another computer and see if you can download the bios to a
floppy disk ... make sure you are using the correct bios for the
correct revision of your main board... then see if you can re-flash
the bios again...
Glenn M


Cant even get to that point. The computer won't boot at all, even to
a bios screen. I guess I'm out of luck huh?


No, you're thinking of it booting in a manner you're used to. What he's
talking about is that many new motherboards have a 'hidden' flash procedure
embedded in the BIOS that is never over-written, even with a bad flash,
that will bootstrap in a new BIOS flash (often a blind floppy boot with
special files on it) if you follow their procedure.

Now, it's possible the flash blew the flash chip itself; in which case even
the blind boot recovery won't work as it's 'broke', not just a bad flash.

You can get replacement BIOS chips, flashed with the BIOS file you send
them, from badflash.com for $25, though.



Saw that procedure. I don't think that my motherboard has it however.
I will look into replacing the flash, but it seems that the MB
manufacturer is partially responsible for this as it was their MB that
mis-flashed. Any luck in getting them to pay for the re-flash?


I don't know and even if I knew of one who had it would till depend on the
policies of the manufacturer that made yours.

I'm not sure how you'd 'prove' it, though. I mean that it was faulty to
begin with and not something you did. I realize YOU say so, and I have no
reason to doubt it, but, then, someone who just wanted a free chip might
say the same thing; if you see the problem *they* have in figuring it out.

Still, I can't imagine it would hurt to ask them.

  #10  
Old September 27th 04, 09:12 PM
Jason Gallas
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


: Saw that procedure. I don't think that my motherboard has it however.
: I will look into replacing the flash, but it seems that the MB
: manufacturer is partially responsible for this as it was their MB that
: mis-flashed. Any luck in getting them to pay for the re-flash?
:
:
:I don't know and even if I knew of one who had it would till depend on the
olicies of the manufacturer that made yours.
:
:I'm not sure how you'd 'prove' it, though. I mean that it was faulty to
:begin with and not something you did. I realize YOU say so, and I have no
:reason to doubt it, but, then, someone who just wanted a free chip might
:say the same thing; if you see the problem *they* have in figuring it out.
:
:Still, I can't imagine it would hurt to ask them.

I contacted Chaintech and they are sending me a new bios chip for
free. Great support, especially for a second hand customer. I
received the board from a friend.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bios update asrock aws AMD x86-64 Processors 1 August 22nd 04 10:25 PM
problems - screen goes black then reboots *TrappedUser* Homebuilt PC's 4 July 5th 04 11:34 PM
blank black screen from boot cd (s) duh Homebuilt PC's 2 December 27th 03 04:06 AM
flashing bios to NTFS any diff than to FAT32 Win XP? Randyman Homebuilt PC's 6 August 7th 03 06:14 AM
bios hung while flashing mdp General 1 June 23rd 03 11:18 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 HardwareBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.