31 Terabytes of storage?

Old August 4th 04, 06:18 AM
Terry Wilson

Default 31 Terabytes of storage?

Isn't Google Great?

If Firewire supports 63 devices ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394 )
and you got 500 GB external drives (
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=102653 )
could you build a system with 31 Terabytes of storage? (more with USB)
Granted, cost of 31 grand.

I would suspect running into problems long before reaching more than a few
terabytes.
I'd appreciate some comments from folks who have built or seen high capacity
storage systems and how
they did it. Maybe a link or two? Thanks.

Terry

Old August 4th 04, 10:38 AM
Scott

"Terry Wilson" wrote in message
Isn't Google Great?

If Firewire supports 63 devices (

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394 )
and you got 500 GB external drives (
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=102653 )
could you build a system with 31 Terabytes of storage? (more with USB)
Granted, cost of 31 grand.

I would suspect running into problems long before reaching more than a few
terabytes.
I'd appreciate some comments from folks who have built or seen high

capacity
storage systems and how
they did it. Maybe a link or two? Thanks.

Terry

Good luck looking for that elusive file though ;-)

It would probably take Windows an hour to search all drives

Scott

Old August 4th 04, 12:25 PM
Hamman

"Terry Wilson" wrote in message
Isn't Google Great?

If Firewire supports 63 devices (

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394 )
and you got 500 GB external drives (
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=102653 )
could you build a system with 31 Terabytes of storage? (more with USB)
Granted, cost of 31 grand.

I would suspect running into problems long before reaching more than a few
terabytes.
I'd appreciate some comments from folks who have built or seen high

capacity
storage systems and how
they did it. Maybe a link or two? Thanks.

Terry

USB2 would probably be a better solution, then you can get 127 devices from
each root hub. Since the average PC has say 2 onboard ones, and 5 PCI slots,
each of which could have say 3 root hubs on.

hamman

Old August 4th 04, 05:30 PM
patrick

Hamman wrote:
[...]

1. Run a GNU/Linux, or a *BSD.

2. Use SCSI for multi access, multi-write (*BSD/GNULinux=concurrent, not
like MS=consecutive, access!) PLUS, you can cluster an unlimited number
of towers, and pool all of the resources! Do like GOOGLE.com!

3. USB1.1 and 2 divides the access speed by the number of devices.
Super Sloooooow after about 5 devices!
Old August 4th 04, 06:11 PM
Jonba

1. Run a GNU/Linux, or a *BSD.

2. Use SCSI for multi access, multi-write (*BSD/GNULinux=concurrent, not
like MS=consecutive, access!) PLUS, you can cluster an unlimited number
of towers, and pool all of the resources! Do like GOOGLE.com!

3. USB1.1 and 2 divides the access speed by the number of devices.
Super Sloooooow after about 5 devices!

Ouch, plus the electricity requirements to run all those devices.

Old August 4th 04, 09:55 PM
Peter

In article , says...
Isn't Google Great?

If Firewire supports 63 devices (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394 )
and you got 500 GB external drives (
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=102653 )
could you build a system with 31 Terabytes of storage? (more with USB)
Granted, cost of 31 grand.

Not sure how windows handles drive letters above Z, and with your 63
devices, how would it deal with giving each one a unique letter
identifier?

--
Pete Ives
Remove ALL_STRESS before sending me an email
Old August 4th 04, 11:59 PM
Terry Wilson

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .
In article , says...
Isn't Google Great?

If Firewire supports 63 devices (

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394 )
and you got 500 GB external drives (
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=102653 )
could you build a system with 31 Terabytes of storage? (more with USB)
Granted, cost of 31 grand.

Not sure how windows handles drive letters above Z, and with your 63
devices, how would it deal with giving each one a unique letter
identifier?

From MS:

Mounted drives, also known as volume mount points or drive paths, are
volumes attached to an empty folder on an NTFS volume. Mounted drives
function the same way as any other volume, but are assigned a label or name
instead of a drive letter. Mounted drives are robust against system changes
that occur when devices are added or removed from a computer. They are not
subject to the 26-volume limit imposed by drive letters, so you can use them
for access to more than 26 volumes on your computer.

So I gather you could name volumes anthing you like using NTFS

Old August 5th 04, 02:30 AM
nooneimportant

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .
In article , says...
Isn't Google Great?

If Firewire supports 63 devices (

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394 )
and you got 500 GB external drives (
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=102653 )
could you build a system with 31 Terabytes of storage? (more with USB)
Granted, cost of 31 grand.

Not sure how windows handles drive letters above Z, and with your 63
devices, how would it deal with giving each one a unique letter
identifier?

--
Pete Ives
Remove ALL_STRESS before sending me an email

Doesn't each array in a RAID have its own drive letter?? In this case i can
see some massive 0+1 Arrays.... just a problem of how to do RAID over
firewire....

Old August 5th 04, 05:07 AM
Don Taylor

"nooneimportant" no.spam@me writes:
"Peter" wrote in message
. ..
In article , says...
Isn't Google Great?

If Firewire supports 63 devices (

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394 )
and you got 500 GB external drives (
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=102653 )
could you build a system with 31 Terabytes of storage? (more with USB)
Granted, cost of 31 grand.

I recall hearing that folks trying to carefully implement USB
discovered all sorts of problems as the number of devices got large,
and not even close to the maximum number spelled out in the standard.
Apparently sorts of companies had never tried their products with a
few dozen or more of them hanging on the bus at once.

So I think that well before you run out of drive letters, or thousand
dollar bills to buy the drives with, you will find other things to
worry about.

General rule: If you didn't test that particular configuration,
it is probably broken.