Floppy Controller vs Driver

Old April 15th 04, 08:47 PM
esara

Default Floppy Controller vs Driver

Hi
My computer is windowsXp. I went to control panel--system--device
manager
and I have found this 2 entry:
[+] Floppy disk controller
[+] Floppy disk drivers

when I opened there 2 entries (clicked on the [+]
I have found these :

[+] Floppy disk controller
standard Floppy disk controller
[+] Floppy disk drivers
Floppy disk driver

My question what is the differen between controller and driver??

Another entry I have found is this
[+] IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
Primary IDE Channel
Secondry IDE Channel
VIA Bus Master IDE Controller

My question is this, since I have only one Hard drive , which I
supppose it is the primary when I have another 2 entries..the secondry
and what is the 3rd one "ViA Bus Master IDE Controller"

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Old April 15th 04, 11:23 PM
Patrick

esara wrote:
[...]

Much of it is the CONTROLLER CHIPS on the mainboard, and their 'drivers'
in the BIOS program. Your mainboard has VIA north bridge, and VIA South
Bridge chips that support the CPU.

Old April 16th 04, 03:39 AM
Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"esara" wrote in message
m...
Hi
My computer is windowsXp. I went to control panel--system--device
manager
and I have found this 2 entry:
[+] Floppy disk controller
[+] Floppy disk drivers

I'd proff read that. All the American copies have "Floppy disk
drives" not "drivers" there.

when I opened there 2 entries (clicked on the [+]
I have found these :

[+] Floppy disk controller
standard Floppy disk controller
[+] Floppy disk drivers
Floppy disk driver

My question what is the differen between controller and driver??

A driver would be the software, a controller the hardware.

But, again, every copy I've seen has the "drive" or "drives", not
"driver". The DRIVE is the thing you put the floppy disk in.

Another entry I have found is this
[+] IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
Primary IDE Channel
Secondry IDE Channel
VIA Bus Master IDE Controller

My question is this, since I have only one Hard drive , which I
supppose it is the primary when I have another 2 entries..the secondry
and what is the 3rd one "ViA Bus Master IDE Controller"

Err - you have two channels, or motherboard connections, and both
are "daughters" of the VIA Bus Master IDE controller.

Think of having a right and left speaker, and they're both part of
the stereo system.

Your hard disk is probably master on the primary controller - the CD
or DVD drive is probably master on the secondary controller.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

RwP

Old April 16th 04, 07:58 AM
Donald McMorris - Ospitare International

My guess would be is that the "floppy disk driver" is something for a
specialty FDD (a mass-storage floppy drive) or an external, or maybe
something to read memory-cards using a floppy adapter. I really dont know
though to be honest.

Everything else is normal though.

--Don

"Ralph Wade Phillips" wrote in message
Howdy!

Old April 17th 04, 12:19 AM
Last Boy Scout

Some floppy drives like the Superdisk drive or the LS120 drive could
read a floppy or a larger superdisk, which was a flash drive. These
probably need a driver. Then there is also a Japanese version.