Are cpu shims worth using?

Old April 11th 04, 01:28 AM
Jim

Default Are cpu shims worth using?

Correction, the shim is NOT for the purposes of keeping weight off the core,
although it indeed may help in this regard. The shim is primarily to
prevent "rocking" of the HSF during installation. Because the core is
exposed, if you don't place/keep the HSF assembly exactly parallel to the
surface of the core during installation, you risk cracking it, or one of the
corners. The pads you already see on the ceramic are for these purposes
too, but many people feel they are inadequate. Hence, the shim was born.

Shims are like seatbelts, they seem (and basically are) worthless, UNTIL YOU
NEED ONE! I've never had a serious car accident, neither has my wife,
although I have heard of others having such accidents, but I'm a careful
driver, rarely get a ticket, etc. Do you think I should wear a seatbelt?

I know the example is a little trite, afterall, one is true life and death,
but we are talking about the life or death of your CPU for the sake of $7
shim. Personally, I've always used them and never had a problem. Like most
other preventative actions in life, I have no way of knowing if this has
save me or not. I only find out when the accident occurs, which is too
late.

So gathering opinions in this NG is a totally worthless endeavor. Everyone
who's *had* the accident will say, yeah, good idea. Everyone w/ the perfect
"driving" record will say, nah, waste of money, never had a problem. So
what's the right answer? It's a matter of risk/benefit analysis, how much
you are willing to gamble, NOT a function of polling for results. Maybe for
a $30 Duron 800MHz, not worth the cost/trouble. For a $150 Athlon? Hmm...,
maybe a good idea.

But if you feel confident you can keep that HSF assembly perfectly parallel
to the core at all times, even w/o the shim, despite possible troubles w/
the retention clip, for example, go for it! For me, that would be a big
factor, if you have some crappy, hard to install or uninstall retention
mechanism, the risks go way up. If it's a good design, not requiring
excessive pressure, no screw drivers, etc., maybe it's OK.

HTH

Jim

"Jack" wrote in message
I have heard that cpu shims are used to support a heavy heatsink &
fan without putting too much pressure on the core. But are
these shims worth using?

On my Duron I use an Artic Cooling heatsink and fan which weighs
395 g. http://www.arctic-cooling.com/en/
Is it worth me using a shim next time I change the processor?

Old April 11th 04, 04:00 PM
Jim

I just place a pin-head size drop of superglue on all four size and attach
to the CPU ceramic. Holds well enough for installation, but easily
removeable w/ a razor blade. I've had no problem using shims in this
manner, works great.

Jim

"Piotr Makley" wrote in message
"Jim" wrote:

For me, that would be a big
factor, if you have some crappy, hard to install or uninstall
retention mechanism, the risks go way up. If it's a good
design, not requiring excessive pressure, no screw drivers,
etc., maybe it's OK.

I have been grappling with a crappy retention mechanism recently.
I had to use the tower case in an upright position.

Wouldn't using a shim make it even harder to keep all the parts in
place?

Or do you stick or retain the shim to the cpu die (or maybe
to heatsink itself) in some way while you are putting on a new
heatsink?

Are cpu shims worth using? Jim General 4 April 11th 04 04:10 PM
Are cpu shims worth using? Hank Overclocking AMD Processors 3 April 11th 04 04:10 PM
Are cpu shims worth using? Jim Overclocking AMD Processors 1 April 11th 04 04:00 PM
What is an Osborne 1 worth? Cyde Weys General 6 February 12th 04 02:07 AM
Shims? J.Clarke Overclocking AMD Processors 8 September 26th 03 02:21 PM