First time building a new PC

Old December 29th 03, 03:11 PM
Scott Reynolds

Default First time building a new PC

I guess I let my excitement get the best of me. I built a new PC,
installed the motherboard, processor, accessories, etc. Powered it up
and then realized my motherboard does not have on board video. I
installed a video card in the PC, but I have not installed any drivers
yet. So here's my question...

With no video output on the motherboard, how do I view what's going on
so I can install drivers and such? Any thoughts?
Old December 29th 03, 03:19 PM
Lefty

Scott Reynolds wrote:
I guess I let my excitement get the best of me. I built a new PC,
installed the motherboard, processor, accessories, etc. Powered it up
and then realized my motherboard does not have on board video. I
installed a video card in the PC, but I have not installed any drivers
yet. So here's my question...

With no video output on the motherboard, how do I view what's going on
so I can install drivers and such? Any thoughts?

is this with a new, blank, hard disk ... or are you tying to continue with a
previously installed os?

Old December 29th 03, 03:45 PM
ToolPackinMama

Scott Reynolds wrote:

I guess I let my excitement get the best of me. I built a new PC,
installed the motherboard, processor, accessories, etc. Powered it up
and then realized my motherboard does not have on board video. I
installed a video card in the PC, but I have not installed any drivers
yet. So here's my question...

With no video output on the motherboard, how do I view what's going on
so I can install drivers and such? Any thoughts?

You need video, either onboard or otherwise. You won't get anywhere
without it. But I guess you figured that out already.

Now that you have a video card installed, make sure that all power is
off, then attach the monitor to the video card. BTW, make sure you have
a keyboard and mouse attached, too. Then power up the monitor and
computer. ::rolling eyes:: If you get one short beep and then messages
start to appear on the monitor, then you are ready to hit the delete key
to get into BIOS, then start pestering us to explain to you how to set
your BIOS settings. ::rolling eyes::

If you don't know what BIOS is, please stop everything and don't move a
muscle.
Old December 29th 03, 04:17 PM
jeff findley

"Lefty" writes:

Scott Reynolds wrote:
I guess I let my excitement get the best of me. I built a new PC,
installed the motherboard, processor, accessories, etc. Powered it up
and then realized my motherboard does not have on board video. I
installed a video card in the PC, but I have not installed any drivers
yet. So here's my question...

With no video output on the motherboard, how do I view what's going on
so I can install drivers and such? Any thoughts?

is this with a new, blank, hard disk ... or are you tying to continue with a
previously installed os?

Your question makes no sense. In either case, the BIOS and the video
card will work together without drivers.

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.
Old December 29th 03, 04:45 PM
Lefty

jeff findley wrote:
"Lefty" writes:

Scott Reynolds wrote:
I guess I let my excitement get the best of me. I built a new PC,
installed the motherboard, processor, accessories, etc. Powered it
up and then realized my motherboard does not have on board video. I
installed a video card in the PC, but I have not installed any
drivers yet. So here's my question...

With no video output on the motherboard, how do I view what's going
on
so I can install drivers and such? Any thoughts?

is this with a new, blank, hard disk ... or are you tying to
continue with a previously installed os?

Your question makes no sense. In either case, the BIOS and the video
card will work together without drivers.

well it was really that he'd have worse in store if he was trying to
transport an old windows install to a totally new hardware set. yup, bios
has gotta be right, but from what i hear here, assuming you can just tweak a
few drivers is a leap. ir was the word drivers above that got me thinking
in that direction.

my personal experience moving everything from and old box to new
mobo/cpu/video (same hd) was that windows told me that the oem license was
no longer good. that was with ME. i can't remember now if a reinstall from
the same cd worked.

Old December 29th 03, 08:06 PM
jeff findley

"Lefty" writes:
well it was really that he'd have worse in store if he was trying to
transport an old windows install to a totally new hardware set.

True. If that's the case, I always boot from a floppy, do a format on
the drive, then do a clean install. It saves time and effort in the
long run.

Jeff
Old December 29th 03, 11:51 PM
Big Daddy

on Mon December 29 2003 10:11 am, Scott Reynolds decided to enlighten us
with:

I guess I let my excitement get the best of me. I built a new PC,
installed the motherboard, processor, accessories, etc. Powered it up
and then realized my motherboard does not have on board video. I
installed a video card in the PC, but I have not installed any drivers
yet. So here's my question...

With no video output on the motherboard, how do I view what's going on
so I can install drivers and such? Any thoughts?

Your graphics card will run standard VGA without drivers. After you install
drivers, it'll unlock all the other resolutions and color depths.
Old December 29th 03, 11:58 PM
DaveW

The graphics card will run in Standard VGA mode to allow you to install
Windows and drivers, automatically.

--
DaveW

m...