Weird video error,what went wrong?

Old February 25th 09, 12:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Thomas Andersson

Default Weird video error,what went wrong?

Machine was working fine but had to switch monitor temp to server.
Dissconnected flatscreen while machine was running and fixed server. When I
switched back I had no signal, restarted and as soon as win loaded signal
died. Went to safe mode and deinstalled nvidia gfx drivers (Had first tried
"latest working" and going VGA mode).Now I got back in to Win and
reinstalled nvidia drivers and things seemed to be fine.
It isn't though, now suddenly video quality for some movies I have is CRAP
(was perfect before), very blocky and seems to leave trash behind, not
properly updating. I've tried reinstaling gfx and xvid codec but no go.
Going to a older driver seems to help a little (Think I had 172 before
incident but can't find that one now).

Anyone have an idea what might ahve happened and how to solve it so I can
watch video again.

One strange thing with this though is that the crap quality only seems to be
full length movies, TV episodes I have still seems to be at full quality...

Old February 25th 09, 02:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
smlunatick

On Feb 25, 12:51*pm, "Thomas Andersson" wrote:
[...]

You may have to uninstall the video card drivers / the monitor drivers
and then re-install them. If this does not fix your problem then you
might have damaged the video card. Video card connections are not
designed to be disconnected while the power is turned on. Even though
you might successfully disconnect / reconnect the video cable, there
is a chance to electronically damage the video card.
Old February 25th 09, 11:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Thomas Andersson

smlunatick wrote:

You may have to uninstall the video card drivers / the monitor drivers
and then re-install them. If this does not fix your problem then you
might have damaged the video card. Video card connections are not
designed to be disconnected while the power is turned on. Even though
you might successfully disconnect / reconnect the video cable, there
is a chance to electronically damage the video card.

I have un and reinstalled both gfx driver and codec, but not monitor driver.
It seems that teh older the gfx driver I use the ebtter the movie quality
becomes for some reason. I also tried VLC and all the movie files plays
perfectly with the quality I'm used to through it (hope this rules out
damaged gfx hardware). Any regular playin of movies have the crap quality
though.., very odd and frustrating problem.

Old February 26th 09, 01:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"Thomas Andersson" wrote in message
[...]

Monitor , card, computer details, are all missing.
In all probability your issue had nothing to do with the drivers so your
unistall and reinstall is what caused the current codec issues. I've seen
flatscreen LCD's do this type of thing when you disconnect and plug in to
another system using analog, then when you hook back up to the original with
DVI you get a blank screen or blinking monitor light. Cycling the power on
the monitor and the computer usually gets reacquisition of the DVI signal.
Archived drivers are here ....
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

Old February 26th 09, 02:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Thomas Andersson

Monitor , card, computer details, are all missing.

Sorry, 22" Samsung SyncMaster 940BF monitor, Nvidia 7800GTX gfx card and AMD
x2 dual based computer with Asus mobo.

In all probability your issue had nothing to do with the drivers so
your unistall and reinstall is what caused the current codec issues.

Yeah, I think you're right, I was to much in a hurry to get back in.
Reinstalling codecs doesn't revert the prioblem though,only thing left to
reinstall is moni driver itself.

I've seen flatscreen LCD's do this type of thing when you disconnect
and plug in to another system using analog, then when you hook back
up to the original with DVI you get a blank screen or blinking
monitor light. Cycling the power on the monitor and the computer
usually gets reacquisition of the DVI signal. Archived drivers are

Hmm, but I connected on both system via DVI contact (other gfx card is a
6800GTX). When I pulled the cable I heard (from the troubled machine) that
plinging sound you get from (diss)connecting USB devices, same when I hooked
it back up.

here .... http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

Thank you very much!