Where to find a heatsink fan for NVidia FX 5200?

Old October 7th 08, 08:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
James[_6_]

Default Where to find a heatsink fan for NVidia FX 5200?

I have an NVidia GeForce FX 5200 card and the fan is having issues,
making intermittent noise. I took it out and put a 1/2 drop of 10W-40
motor oil on the end of the shaft that was exposed when I removed the
decal on the bottom which has gotten rid of the noise for now, but I
assume this is only going to be a temporary fix. Where can I find just
the fan for an older card like this?

So far haven't found anything by searching online. Striking out on
ebay.

Thanks.
Old October 7th 08, 09:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Robert Miles

"James" wrote in message
I have an NVidia GeForce FX 5200 card and the fan is having issues,
making intermittent noise. I took it out and put a 1/2 drop of 10W-40
motor oil on the end of the shaft that was exposed when I removed the
decal on the bottom which has gotten rid of the noise for now, but I
assume this is only going to be a temporary fix. Where can I find just
the fan for an older card like this?

So far haven't found anything by searching online. Striking out on
ebay.

Thanks.

..
Here are a few sites I found relevant to cooling issues. I haven't
checked if either of them are relevant to that card.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=91

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Old October 7th 08, 11:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Andy

This should work; check the mounting dimensions.
RED Mini UFO Universal VGA Video Card Cooler LED Fan
http://cgi.ebay.com/RED-Mini-UFO-Universal-VGA-Video-Card-Cooler-LED-Fan_W0QQitemZ380055806967QQihZ025QQcategoryZ80151Q QtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
http://www.evercool.com.tw/products/vc_ri.htm

Old October 8th 08, 03:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
kony

wrote:

I have an NVidia GeForce FX 5200 card and the fan is having issues,
making intermittent noise. I took it out and put a 1/2 drop of 10W-40
motor oil on the end of the shaft that was exposed when I removed the
decal on the bottom which has gotten rid of the noise for now, but I
assume this is only going to be a temporary fix. Where can I find just
the fan for an older card like this?

So far haven't found anything by searching online. Striking out on
ebay.

Thanks.

Depending on how worn the fan bearing was, how long it ran
like that, odds are fair that it may run for a long time
after relubed, though ideally you would want to use a higher
viscosity oil than 10W-30 as the thicker it is the thicker
the film strength, reducing eliptical shaft wobble and
increasing the volume of oil that stays in the bearingway.

Sometimes you can replace only the fan, depending on the
original 'sink design and whether it is necessary for a
replacement fan to sit down inside the 'sink cavity. If the
adjacent slot-space is empty it won't matter much whether
the fan sits down inside the 'sink body or sits above
(though above would require longer screws).

I'm not sure how you struck out on ebay. Search there for
"FX5200 heatsink", and checkmark the "include Title and
Description" box.
http://desc.shop.ebay.com/items/__FX...opZ15QQ_s cZ1
Old October 8th 08, 04:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
James[_6_]

On Oct 7, 10:59*pm, kony wrote:

I'm not sure how you struck out on ebay. *Search there for
"FX5200 heatsink", and checkmark the "include Title and
Description" box.http://desc.shop.ebay.com/items/__FX...HQ5fTitleDescZ...

I struck out looking for just a fan. Nothing wrong with the heatsink.
I imagine the solid chunk of aluminum will last until the sun burns
out.
Old October 8th 08, 06:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Benjamin Gawert

* James:
I have an NVidia GeForce FX 5200 card and the fan is having issues,
making intermittent noise. I took it out and put a 1/2 drop of 10W-40
motor oil on the end of the shaft that was exposed when I removed the
decal on the bottom which has gotten rid of the noise for now, but I
assume this is only going to be a temporary fix. Where can I find just
the fan for an older card like this?

Difficult, and if you find a fan it probably costs more than this 5+
year old low end card is worth.

Besides that, the Geforce FX5200 can be passive cooled easily (and
that's what has been done on most cards) as it doesn't produce that much
heat. Some manufacturers gave their FX5200 cards a fan not because of
the heat but because it looks more expensive or powerful. Usually, if
the fan dies, just remove it, the average heat sink used on these cards
should provide enough cooling for the GPU.

Benjamin
Old October 8th 08, 06:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 06:41:22 +0100, Benjamin Gawert
wrote:

* James:
[...]

That is not good advice. When such a low powered card as
these uses a fanned heatsink, to cut costs they use the bare
minimum fanned heatsink they can to cut costs.

Because of this, IF they had used an alternative, larger
passive heatsink it would work ok, or if they use a much
smaller fanned sink, also ok, but using the much smaller
formerly fanned 'sink without that fan is a big risk.

Old October 8th 08, 07:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 20:33:14 -0700 (PDT), James
wrote:

On Oct 7, 10:59*pm, kony wrote:

I'm not sure how you struck out on ebay. *Search there for
"FX5200 heatsink", and checkmark the "include Title and
Description" box.http://desc.shop.ebay.com/items/__FX...HQ5fTitleDescZ...

I struck out looking for just a fan. Nothing wrong with the heatsink.
I imagine the solid chunk of aluminum will last until the sun burns
out.

The problem with that is that these are often proprietary
parts, so given random internet pricing, it can be more
expensive to try and source an exact replacement fan than
buying an entire heatsink with fan included.

There are other alternatives of course. Someone with enough
appropriate supplies could DIY. For example if the space
allows, you could take some other heatsink at least large
enough and find a way to mount it. If the heatsink weight
isn't excessive you could mount it with thermally conductive
epoxy, or if it is of too high a weight for that and you had
a certain level of electrical tools you could modify
something to work.

For example, when I wanted to replace the heatsink on a
7600GT video card, I took an old Tualatin Celeron heatsink,
used a hacksaw to reduce the height enough to fit in the
amount of space available, used a drill press to drill holes
in the appropriate areas when holding it up against the
video card so the existing heatsink holes could be used to
mark the spacing, then improvised a fan that would fit it.
If I'd had no fan that would fit I could always epoxy a nut
or stud in, or tap threads for a standard bolt thread.
Often this solution will require changing the fan connector,
or changing the video card mating socket, or grafting and/or
soldering wires. The best solution depends a lot on what
means you have available. If you have no means to fabricate
or no wish to do it now that the video card is of low value,
the most obvious alternative is to choose a generic full
framed fan with the same screw hole diameter of the original
and just use larger screws, then you don't have to search
for an FX5200 specific fan, only a fan of the same
dimensions and thickness within the allowable space
remaining.

http://69.36.166.207/usr_1034/video/7600gt.jpg
Old October 8th 08, 05:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Benjamin Gawert

* kony:

That is not good advice. When such a low powered card as
these uses a fanned heatsink, to cut costs they use the bare
minimum fanned heatsink they can to cut costs.

Because of this, IF they had used an alternative, larger
passive heatsink it would work ok, or if they use a much
smaller fanned sink, also ok, but using the much smaller
formerly fanned 'sink without that fan is a big risk.

No, it's not. I have several Geforce FX5200 cards here which are stock
passively cooled with very small heatsinks. This GPU has very simple
cooling requirements and should work flawlessly without fan if there is
at least some minimal airflow in the computer.

So in reality the "big risk" you are talking about means a very little
chance to overheat a 5+ year old low end card which has no real value
any more, for which the price of the fan very likely will be higher than
what a similar or better card can be bought for on the used market, and
which can be replaced with something better and faster for a few bucks
today.

Benjamin
Old October 8th 08, 05:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
rms[_2_]

Depending on how worn the fan bearing was, how long it ran
like that, odds are fair that it may run for a long time
after relubed

This part is certainly true. I've relubed noisy fans with Inox spray
lube, and they are going strong and silent two years later.

though ideally you would want to use a higher
viscosity oil than 10W-30 as the thicker it is the thicker
the film strength

This is so wrong. Get Inox spray lube, hardware stores will have it, or
order online. It's the best computer fan lube, bar none.

rms