AMD 5600+ runs too hot - why?

Old July 13th 07, 09:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
surface9

Default AMD 5600+ runs too hot - why?

I just built an AMD 5600+ system (with the heatsink/fan that came in
the retail box) and when I was just going into the bios screens it
heated up to over 80C - why? The CPU fan was running good and strong
and the heatsink was too hot to touch - it nearly burned me when I
just tapped it. I had to turn off the power right away. The case has
a big 120mm fan and it was blowing real hard also - lots of air - the
room was around 78F. When I installed the heatsink (which came with
the thermal grease pre-applied), I pressed in on real good and I know
it was making good contact becuase it was really hot.

What could cause this CPU to run so hot? The power supply is an Ultra
600 watt. The board is an MSI micro and the case is the ultra
microfly.

I'm stumped - I sure can't run it that hot.

Any ideas?

Old July 13th 07, 10:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 01:09:48 -0700, surface9 wrote:

What could cause this CPU to run so hot?

Too much voltage to the cpu. Not enough current to the cpu. Did you plug
in the the 4 wire (2 yellow, 2 black) 12v cable from the PSU to the MB?
Sure sounds strange.

Old July 13th 07, 02:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
surface9

--

Yes. It had a 24pin power supply and two 4pin CPU supplies (the 600
watt ultra power supply). The MSI board had a matching 24 pin

They all fit like they were supposed to. I like your thoughts though
- it must have been just too much current to the CPU - which means to
me that the voltage was maybe too LOW, making it draw a lot more
current. Current is what causes heat. I'm going to call AMD today
and see what they say.

Old July 13th 07, 03:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Cal Vanize

surface9 wrote:
I just built an AMD 5600+ system (with the heatsink/fan that came in
the retail box) and when I was just going into the bios screens it
heated up to over 80C - why? The CPU fan was running good and strong
and the heatsink was too hot to touch - it nearly burned me when I
just tapped it. I had to turn off the power right away. The case has
a big 120mm fan and it was blowing real hard also - lots of air - the
room was around 78F. When I installed the heatsink (which came with
the thermal grease pre-applied), I pressed in on real good and I know
it was making good contact becuase it was really hot.

What could cause this CPU to run so hot? The power supply is an Ultra
600 watt. The board is an MSI micro and the case is the ultra
microfly.

I'm stumped - I sure can't run it that hot.

Any ideas?

Bad CPU or bad PS voltage regulation.

Shat hippens.

Old July 14th 07, 06:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
surface9

I called the mboard manufacturer (MSI) and they said it was probably
due to some mistake I made in the BIOS setup program - he said there
was an option there to change the voltage (to the CPU) and that was
the ONLY way he could see how the CPU would get so hot, since I had
good heatexchanger-cpu contact and the fans ran good. He said to
elect "restore to optimal defaults" and so I did that an it has now
been running for about 3 hours (under a very low load) at around 39C.
So I guess he was right.

I don't know what I did, but, like you said,
"s**t happens".

Old July 14th 07, 06:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Cal Vanize

surface9 wrote:

I don't know what I did, but, like you said,
"s**t happens".

Yeah.... Shat hippens.

Old July 15th 07, 05:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
surface9

On Jul 14, 6:54 pm, "Carvin" wrote:
You peeled off that protective sheet from the thermal pad right?

Yes, and, after restoring BIOS defaults (as per MSI's suggestion), I
am now running OK.

I just ran Prime95 for about an hour and the temp reached a max of
40.1 C. Is that good, bad, average??????

Would it help or hurt to install a different heat exchanger? One of
those thermaltake that get so much praise? I am not worried abou the
temperature but I am finding that the LOUDEST part of the new PC is
the stock CPU FAN. Would one of these better aftermarked
heatexchanger/fans be quieter and maybe cooler (or at least no
hotter)?

Is there a better test to check out this system than Prime95? It is
an AMD 5600+ with 2 gigs of ddr800 ram. I am very new to this newer
technology (I was stuck back on 440BX and windows 98se) so I am open
for any good information I can get.

Will I gain anything noticeable by installing XP on top of win2000?
What is mean is, does XP have any significant advantages over win2000
- it is more work but I don't mind if it gets me features I don't have
with win2000.

Old July 23rd 07, 04:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Peter de B. Harrington

"surface9" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 14, 6:54 pm, "Carvin" wrote:
[...]

WinXP Pro has several advantages over 2000.

1. It has a better memory management system, which will also give you a
performance boost; unlike upgrading to Vista which actually runs slower than
XP.
2. Remote desktop is a very useful feature of XP, if you want to login
remotely to your computer.
3. The multiple user accounts and faster user switching is also another
useful feature of XP, if you have a multi-user computer.
4. File encrypting and compression also I think are not available for Win
2000.
5. I think the network security has also been improved.

Amyway, I was very pleased upgrading from 2000 to XP Pro. I would not
recommend to anyone yet, upgrading from XP to Vista.

Best wishes,

Pete