Upgrade from geforce 6800 Ultra to geforce 7600 GT superclocked?

Old June 16th 07, 09:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Wolfbane

Default Upgrade from geforce 6800 Ultra to geforce 7600 GT superclocked?

Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading my 6800 Ultra for something newer which draws
less current,doesn't require 2 power connectors and produces a lot less
heat. I have to stick with AGP for the moment which really limits my options
so I was thinking of the Evga e-geforce 7600 GT 512M superclocked card. I
can't find much info on this card even on the Evga site but I do know it
only has the 12 pipes instead of the 16 of the 6800 but the clock and mem
run much faster so I'm wondering how they compare performance wise. I can
get the 7600 GT for $169 Cad and think I can get at least $80 Cad for my
6800...does this make sense?

Rob.

Old June 17th 07, 06:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Wolfbane wrote:
Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading my 6800 Ultra for something newer which draws
less current,doesn't require 2 power connectors and produces a lot less
heat. I have to stick with AGP for the moment which really limits my options
so I was thinking of the Evga e-geforce 7600 GT 512M superclocked card. I
can't find much info on this card even on the Evga site but I do know it
only has the 12 pipes instead of the 16 of the 6800 but the clock and mem
run much faster so I'm wondering how they compare performance wise. I can
get the 7600 GT for $169 Cad and think I can get at least $80 Cad for my
6800...does this make sense?

Rob.

7800GS AGP 256M, kicking around $150(US) Newegg. Expect a 75% increase
over your 6800 Ultra in 3DMark 2006.

Old June 17th 07, 07:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Wolfbane

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
Wolfbane wrote:
Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading my 6800 Ultra for something newer which
draws less current,doesn't require 2 power connectors and produces a lot
less heat. I have to stick with AGP for the moment which really limits my
options so I was thinking of the Evga e-geforce 7600 GT 512M superclocked
card. I can't find much info on this card even on the Evga site but I do
know it only has the 12 pipes instead of the 16 of the 6800 but the clock
and mem run much faster so I'm wondering how they compare performance
wise. I can get the 7600 GT for $169 Cad and think I can get at least $80
Cad for my 6800...does this make sense?

Rob.

7800GS AGP 256M, kicking around $150(US) Newegg. Expect a 75% increase
over your 6800 Ultra in 3DMark 2006.

I was looking at the BFG 7800GS today and almost bought one but I wanted to
check reviews first and see what replies I got. Based on the reviews and
what you said It looks to be the perfect upgrade for me so I'll be picking
one up tomorrow,thanks.

Old June 17th 07, 02:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
bandit

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 06:32:41 GMT, "Wolfbane"
wrote:

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
Wolfbane wrote:
[...]

you might look into getting one of these instead of the BFG one

its got a higher core clock and memory clock speeds than the BFG I got
one and it runs great

Just so you can compare here's the link to the BFG

or if you wanted to get a little better card look at one of these
Old June 18th 07, 08:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Wolfbane

you might look into getting one of these instead of the BFG one

its got a higher core clock and memory clock speeds than the BFG I got
one and it runs great

Just so you can compare here's the link to the BFG

or if you wanted to get a little better card look at one of these

Thanks for the links, I thought the 7950 only came in PCIe? I had looked at
the Evga card as my 6800 was from them and I was very happy with that but
the BFG 7800GS is $40 cheaper, anyway I went ahead and bought the BFG
7800GSOC and I'm very happy with it. Wow! this card OC's really well, I've
got it running at 505/702 and it's stable as hell and the temp is averaging
40c even after several hours of Doom3, my old 6800 would get to 70c. My
3DMark06 score has gone from 2270 upto 3257, I think this card will do me
fine until I upgrade my whole computer next year. Anyway, thanks for the
help guys.

Rob.