OS recommendation for dad PC/mass storage

Old July 11th 03, 06:29 PM
JAD

Default OS recommendation for dad PC/mass storage

Any thoughts?

Yeah Buy a harddrive for yourself and leave dad alone....... ;^) Your
underhandedness will be your downfall. Besides your Dad will discover the
harddrive (as you can't hide it from the BIOS at boot). And then without you
knowing will be watching all your movements on the web,,,,,the tables have
turned.... hehehheheh

"Bebert" wrote in message
Hi,

I am building a small PC for my father based on Athlon XP 1800+ CPU
and Asus A7N266-VM motherboard.

The PC will be used for two things :

1) Dads PC for internet access and a few games

2) Additional storage for me (share a drive); I want this drive to be
hidden from him locally.

I'm pretty sure some of you have come across this question... I am
mostly thinking of using this PC as mass storage, but on the other
hand, I could do even more if wanted... (*thinking as I type*).

Two possible scenarios :

a) Install XP on this PC + create a shared drive that only *me* could
access (over the LAN);

b) Install Windows 2000 Server, let dad logon locally and do his
things while I could logon remotely with Terminal Services at the same
time, providing me with a second, complete desktop with which I could
work.

Thank ya!

Dave

Old July 11th 03, 09:53 PM
jaster

"Bebert" wrote in message
Yeah Buy a harddrive for yourself and leave dad alone....... ;^) Your
underhandedness will be your downfall. Besides your Dad will discover the
harddrive (as you can't hide it from the BIOS at boot). And then without

you

My dad doesn't know the difference between "Windows" and
"Word"... it's hilarious, poor man. It's so funny when he comes to me
and says "hey when i'm in Windows" and I know darn well he's in Word!

knowing will be watching all your movements on the web,,,,,the tables

have
turned.... hehehheheh

Nah, don't worry about it... I will hide the D drive with registry
settings... and going to hide the share (with $) too. I just want to
put my 30 GB there (older P90 can't see it all) and use this space for
backups (two different hard disks, reduce risks).

"Bebert" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Dude!!! JAD is right you're thinking is a bit backward. Build the XP1800
for yourself with a larger HD and give your father the P90. The P90 does
word, internet and I guess any games your father can handle. Then share rw
space on the new PC with your father's P90. You can probably get a Cel/PII
+ mb class (333-533mhz) combo from eBay to upgrade the P90. Even without
upgrade to the P90 you can add your father as a power user on the XP1800 PC
for those few times he needs a faster machine. Save the Win2000 Server
money for memory, video or hd.

Old July 12th 03, 02:29 AM
Bebert

What have you got to hide from your Dad? Looking at things you shouldnt?
Evidence Eliminator springs to mind.
Be HONEST with your Dad. You will get found out in the end and you will
lose respect from him.

Lol, dude... i'm 28 years old... I just want to use part of the hard
drive on the PC i'm giving him as backup storage. I'm not hiding
anything from him.

Your attitude towards your Dad isnt at all commendable, have more respect
and grow up.

*sigh*

I'm giving my dad a new PC, I think i'm allowed to take advantage of
the 30.6 GB Seagate that's in there that he won't use.

Old July 12th 03, 07:12 AM
JAD

My dad doesn't know the difference between "Windows" and
"Word"... it's hilarious, poor man. I..

You know whats funny My son and grandaughter have the same opinion of
me.....I like it that way...if ya catch my drift..::: ;^)

"Bebert" wrote in message
Yeah Buy a harddrive for yourself and leave dad alone....... ;^) Your
underhandedness will be your downfall. Besides your Dad will discover the
harddrive (as you can't hide it from the BIOS at boot). And then without

you

t's so funny when he comes to me
and says "hey when i'm in Windows" and I know darn well he's in Word!

knowing will be watching all your movements on the web,,,,,the tables

have
turned.... hehehheheh

Nah, don't worry about it... I will hide the D drive with registry
settings... and going to hide the share (with $) too. I just want to
put my 30 GB there (older P90 can't see it all) and use this space for
backups (two different hard disks, reduce risks).

.. .

Old July 12th 03, 08:00 PM
JK

Bebert wrote:

I am giving him this PC :

Antec SLK2600AMG case
Asus A7N266-VM microATX motherboard with video/sound/lan
512 MB of DDR333
Athlon XP 2200+ w/retail HSF
(i'm throwing in a 30.6 GB Seagate hard drive)

I was thinking of using it for myself, but i'm going to save a little
more and get an Asus P4P800 Springdale board with a 2.8C Ghz Pentium 4
this autumn.

Why? As long as you are going to wait, think about getting an Athlon64
instead.

I'm going to stay with my P3-800 w/Geforce3 Ti200, until that time.

"Bebert" wrote in message
.. .
Yeah Buy a harddrive for yourself and leave dad alone....... ;^) Your
underhandedness will be your downfall. Besides your Dad will discover the
harddrive (as you can't hide it from the BIOS at boot). And then without

you

My dad doesn't know the difference between "Windows" and
"Word"... it's hilarious, poor man. It's so funny when he comes to me
and says "hey when i'm in Windows" and I know darn well he's in Word!

knowing will be watching all your movements on the web,,,,,the tables

have
turned.... hehehheheh

Nah, don't worry about it... I will hide the D drive with registry
settings... and going to hide the share (with $) too. I just want to
put my 30 GB there (older P90 can't see it all) and use this space for
backups (two different hard disks, reduce risks).

.. .

Old July 14th 03, 12:31 AM
-- Chi-Square \(X²\) --

"jaster" wrote in message
. ..
Yeah sounds nice but you said Dad barely does Word, Windows and uses the
internet and a few games, an occasional PC internet user. I say a P3-800
is good enough for him with a fast internet connection. Unless this will

be
a birthday gift or something I still say save your money for autumn and
build that PC for yourself. Wife has Cel633, grankids have a Cel333 and

K6-550 all are happy as long as there's fast internect connection.

Yep... my dad had a 266MMX and it is fine for his usage (internet, mail and
words now and again).