SiI 0680 Ultra-133 Medley ATA Raid Board Driver - Remove Wrong Driver

Old February 28th 07, 07:21 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
pc

Default SiI 0680 Ultra-133 Medley ATA Raid Board Driver - Remove Wrong Driver

I pulled a dumb stunt. When I installed the raid board on an XP/sp2
system, I selected the non-raid driver, which puts a bunch of files
named pnp680.* (inf, sys, cat, etc.) in the system32 folder.

Now windows just can't be coaxed into using the proper pnp680r (raid)
files. Not by hook or
crook.

I went into the system32 dir and wiped out anything that had 680 in
the name. Tried rebooting and reinstalling the card.

XP still thinks it's the non-raid version and somehow remembers the
place on my memory stick where it found the drivers the last time, it
insists that it wants the non-raid driver.

If I try overriding and forcing the raid driver, the card won't start
(error message to that effect), yellow question in device mgr., etc.

I know the card works because I tried it on another computer, and
managed to load the correct driver. Further, on the problem machine
the SiI BIOS pops up after the mobo BIOS report, indicating that it is
correctly recognized by the system BIOS.

I've pulled all the other cards except the video. Help! I really
don't want to reinstall XP.

pc

Old February 28th 07, 08:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Rod Speed

pc wrote:
[...]

Try a restore point, before you installed it.

Old March 1st 07, 07:41 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
kony

On 28 Feb 2007 11:21:23 -0800, "pc"
wrote:

I pulled a dumb stunt. When I installed the raid board on an XP/sp2
system, I selected the non-raid driver, which puts a bunch of files
named pnp680.* (inf, sys, cat, etc.) in the system32 folder.

Now windows just can't be coaxed into using the proper pnp680r (raid)
files. Not by hook or
crook.

It might be useful to know what "hook or crook" means, the
exact steps you'd taken to resolve this.

Generally if you had the RAID driver files (Silicon Image
appears to just ZIP them up so if you extract them to a
folder you had ready beforehand...) you should be able to go
into Device Manager and right click on the RAID device,
choosing to update the driver and browsing to the location
of these unzipped files.

I went into the system32 dir and wiped out anything that had 680 in
the name. Tried rebooting and reinstalling the card.

That should not be necessary.

XP still thinks it's the non-raid version and somehow remembers the
place on my memory stick where it found the drivers the last time, it
insists that it wants the non-raid driver.

It could suggest where it was, but you then merely point it
to the correct files.

If I try overriding and forcing the raid driver, the card won't start
(error message to that effect), yellow question in device mgr., etc.

it is a bit hard to know for certain what is happening after
you'd deleted a bunch of files, because it normally works to
switch the driver. Is it possible your card has a
raid/non-raid jumper on it that is set incorrectly?

Are you using the newest RAID driver available from Silicon
Image? IF not, try that instead of some older 3rd party
driver. In some cases you might need the card's bios
updated, or you might not... I don't recall specifics, but
that bios is available from Silicon Image website same as
with the driver.

I know the card works because I tried it on another computer, and
managed to load the correct driver. Further, on the problem machine
the SiI BIOS pops up after the mobo BIOS report, indicating that it is
correctly recognized by the system BIOS.

I've pulled all the other cards except the video. Help! I really
don't want to reinstall XP.

It looks like the raid driver files are all named the same
with exception of the *.cat file, what if instead of
deleting files after it's working in non-raid mode, you
overwrote with the raid files obtained from Silicon Image
website?