GeForce 6600

Old January 30th 07, 07:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Claire

Default GeForce 6600

Hi there

My PC is freezing when i start somes progs (i think that use Open GL) I
think it's a problem with my vcard.

P-4 1.7GHz 640 MB Ram
GeForce 6600 - 256 MB AGP (aperture size is 128MB)
Win2k with the last update and Direct X version 9.0c
3Dmark03 gives a normal result
FireFox last version

Especialy with Second Life Program or Video Rendering (Divx) i can't do
anything on my computer (freeze)

Can someone help me ?
Thanks in advance
Claire

PS: Sorry about my bad english (only speak french or german)

Old January 30th 07, 07:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Rhodes

Run the diagnostic tool that comes with DirectX:
Click 'Start' then 'Run' then enter 'Dxdiag'

Old January 31st 07, 03:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos

Claire wrote:
Hi there

My PC is freezing when i start somes progs (i think that use Open GL) I
think it's a problem with my vcard.

P-4 1.7GHz 640 MB Ram
GeForce 6600 - 256 MB AGP (aperture size is 128MB)
Win2k with the last update and Direct X version 9.0c
3Dmark03 gives a normal result
FireFox last version

Especialy with Second Life Program or Video Rendering (Divx) i can't do
anything on my computer (freeze)

Can someone help me ?
Thanks in advance
Claire

PS: Sorry about my bad english (only speak french or german)

I surmise you're running an early generation P4 on a non-Intel chipset
based motherboard. These have been known to cause quite a few problems
with newer GF6's and later. Asus P4B's have also been known to have issues.

Find out if you have the proper chipset drivers installed first (not
just the brand of your board, like Asus, MSI, etc, but the chip it uses,
such as an i850 or VIA), then see if a newer version resolves the
conflicts. Do this in conjunction with the latest NVIDIA Forceware
drivers. Otherwise you might have to look at a CPU/mobo upgrade.

It seems that the second revision GF6 series had more problems with
motherboard compatibility than even the first (6800's) or the Geforce FX's.