BE7 and Vista

Old January 28th 07, 01:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
Marcus

Default BE7 and Vista

Hello,

Thinking on installing Vista Home Premium on my system (Abit BE7 with PIV
3.06GB (O/C'd to 3.5GB), 1GB Ram) when it's released in a week or so, I have
run the Vista upgrade advisor and this has said that my HPT372 Raid
controller on my 4 year old ABit BE7 will not run. I have had a look on the
Abit and Highpoint web site and there doesn't seem to any Vista drivers
available.

If there is no Vista drivers available is there a chance that the latest XP
drivers will be OK, when XP was launched 5 years ago some of my hardware
manufactures didn't release XP drivers but Windows 2000 drivers did the
trick.

Also my Creative Live 5.1 soundcard is not going to have Vista drivers
available, what's the chance of this running with Vista.

I know installing Vista will slow my PC down but I am planning to build a
new PC at the end of this year or start of next so if the worst comes to the
worst I'll just stick with XP until then but I'd like to be familiar with
Vista before I upgrade.

Another option would be to dual boot, how do I set this up on the same hard
drive, is it an option during Vista install. What I would like is a menu
upon boot as to with OS I wish to boot to.

Thanks

Marcus

Old January 28th 07, 02:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
Ed Medlin

"Marcus" wrote in message
[...]

I would wait until your new system for Vista.

Ed

Old January 28th 07, 02:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
Wes Newell

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:55:04 +0000, Marcus wrote:

Thinking on installing Vista Home Premium on my system (Abit BE7 with PIV
3.06GB (O/C'd to 3.5GB), 1GB Ram) when it's released in a week or so, I
have run the Vista upgrade advisor and this has said that my HPT372 Raid
controller on my 4 year old ABit BE7 will not run. I have had a look on
the Abit and Highpoint web site and there doesn't seem to any Vista
drivers available.

Why are you wanting to install Vista? The reasons I upgrade my OS is for
support of newer hardware that I've added. I just can't understand why
you'd want to upgrade an OS to lose HW support.

Old January 28th 07, 05:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
Richard Hopkins

"Marcus" wrote in message...
Thinking on installing Vista Home Premium on my system (Abit BE7
with PIV 3.06GB (O/C'd to 3.5GB), 1GB Ram) when it's released
in a week or so, I have run the Vista upgrade advisor and this has said
that my HPT372 Raid controller on my 4 year old ABit BE7 will
not run.

Hmmm, I've installed beta Vistas on my old system which has an HPT372 on it,
so it's possible the Advisor might be giving you a bum steer there.
Anyway...

I have had a look on the Abit and Highpoint web site and there doesn't
seem to any Vista drivers available.

Can't have looked quite hard enough then, there are Vista compatible drivers
listed at Highpoint's site:

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/BIOS_D...ista-2.351.zip

Also my Creative Live 5.1 soundcard is not going to have Vista drivers
available, what's the chance of this running with Vista.

There are a number of issues with Vista and older sound devices. Think
Creative's Alchemy is supposed to be fix but not sure how complete or
effective it is.

I know installing Vista will slow my PC down but I am planning to build
a new PC at the end of this year or start of next so if the worst comes
to the worst I'll just stick with XP until then but I'd like to be
familiar with Vista before I upgrade.

Your option of course but this sounds like a load of hassle and money to no
real benefit. The only things that Vista does that XP doesn't are the Aero
Glass UI and DirectX 10 games. It sounds like your system isn't going to be
up to DX10 gaming anyway and there are addons for XP that do a Glass-like
trick, so why faff around with something that will, as you say, slow your
system up and also saddle you with a load of DRM?

What I would like is a menu upon boot as to with OS I wish to boot to.

What is the point of dual booting Vista *and* XP? Sounds like you're
volunteering yourself for a stack of hassle here, just for the sake of being
able to say you've got Vista. When you get it, you're likely to realise that
you didn't really want it that much after all.

I'm with the other guys. If you're thinking you might stick with XP for the
time being, and aren't planning on building a new system until the end of
this year at the earliest, there is no point getting Vista now. It doesn't
give you anything worthwhile, bar bragging rights with your mates, and IMV
isn't worth the cost, either in terms of buying it or the hassle you're
likely to have getting your sound as good as it was.

If you're going to get it, the time to do so is when you're getting your new
hardware. By then you'll be able to buy a Vista DVD with SP1 already
integrated, and indeed you'll have learned enough about the OS from other
sources to decide whether you want to go with it, or stick with XP.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Old January 28th 07, 05:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
FKS

"Marcus" wrote in message
I know installing Vista will slow my PC down but I am planning to build a
new PC at the end of this year or start of next so if the worst comes to
the worst I'll just stick with XP until then but I'd like to be familiar
with Vista before I upgrade.

Then, what's the point of installing Vista? You are about to invite lots of
potential problems. Wait until you build a new system.

Old January 28th 07, 06:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
JAD

Do you like to tinker and open your rig allot? Cause that is ALL your going
to get different with a brand new OS. Vista is a lot of hype bout nothing,
and WAY too soon for a new resource hog of an OS.

Old January 28th 07, 11:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
DaveW

Your hardware that does not have valid Vista drivers will NOT run using XP
drivers. I would hold off upgrading your OS for a while until more
companies update their components Vista drivers.

--
DaveW

----------------

Old January 29th 07, 02:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
Ed Light

My Live! makes sound with the public preview of Vista, but the options are
amazingly slim. Not even a full mixer. I couldn't find the midi font file to
replace with a copy of the original. I'd probably do better using the
motherboard's sound.

Dual booting is what I'm doing, using bootitng.

Here's the news server:

terabyteunlimited.com
use port 1198

It's a bit cryptic to use, but excellent.

You'll want to download the manual and search the site for Vista info.

And this:

Recommended Boot Configuration Data (BCD) Settings for Windows Vista
BCDEdit is the Windows Vista boot configuration data editor; a command-line
utility that can be used to edit the Windows Vista boot configuration.
After installing Windows Vista to its own dedicated primary partition (C,
as is recommended by TeraByte, you may want to issue the BCDEdit commands
shown below. By issuing the commands below, you will be able to easily
copy, image, restore, and deploy the Windows Vista partition.

Please note that BCDEdit.exe, which resides in the %windir%\system32 folder,
requires Administrative privileges to run. You will need to right click
the Command Prompt shortcut (or cmd.exe itself, in %windir%\system32),
select Run as administrator from the menu that appears, and then issue the
BCDEdit commands in the command prompt window.

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device boot
bcdedit /set {default} device boot
bcdedit /set {default} osdevice boot

--
Ed Light

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old January 29th 07, 07:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
jaster

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:55:04 +0000, Marcus thoughtfully wrote:

Hello,

Thinking on installing Vista Home Premium on my system (Abit BE7 with PIV
3.06GB (O/C'd to 3.5GB), 1GB Ram) when it's released in a week or so, I
have run the Vista upgrade advisor and this has said that my HPT372 Raid
controller on my 4 year old ABit BE7 will not run. I have had a look on
the Abit and Highpoint web site and there doesn't seem to any Vista
drivers available.

Buying hardware to fit the OS? Vista home doesn't have the bells and
whistles you're looking for in Vista. You'd have to buy the$199 upgrade.

Like others on the board. If you buy a new PC with Vista installed no
problem otherwise stick with what you have. Going to Vista with XP
software is risky. Some software already won't work with Vista. Then
again some people like pain.

Old January 29th 07, 10:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
Marcus

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:55:04 +0000, Marcus wrote:

Thinking on installing Vista Home Premium on my system (Abit BE7 with PIV
3.06GB (O/C'd to 3.5GB), 1GB Ram) when it's released in a week or so, I
have run the Vista upgrade advisor and this has said that my HPT372 Raid
controller on my 4 year old ABit BE7 will not run. I have had a look on
the Abit and Highpoint web site and there doesn't seem to any Vista
drivers available.

Why are you wanting to install Vista? The reasons I upgrade my OS is for
support of newer hardware that I've added. I just can't understand why
you'd want to upgrade an OS to lose HW support.

I just like tinkering with computers and want to give Vista a try. I'll
probably wait a while before I take the plunge though.