Upgraded my computer and its video card, but get black and white TV out (grey scale).

Old December 25th 06, 05:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default Upgraded my computer and its video card, but get black and white TV out (grey scale).

Hello,

My computer hardware upgrade (Christmas gift) is finally done, but I am
having problems with the new EVGA's NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT KO (512 MB;
PCIe). The TV out color is in black and white/gray scale. I am using the
latest NVIDIA v93.71 driver in Windows XP Pro. SP2 (all updates). I
tried rebooting, shutting down system, etc.
http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmv....aspx?faqid=57 did not work
for me.

I did notice something though. Even BIOS' splash screen, Windows' splash
screen, CMOS screens (mostly blue), etc. are not in colors as well so it
can't be a driver issue. It sounds like a hardware problem. I did NOT
have this problem before the upgrade with a XFX GeForce 6800 (AGP; 128
MB) video card and earlier cards before it (e.g., ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
AIW, GF4 Ti4200, etc.).

My video setup is:

1. A Samsung SyncMaster 17" CRT for primary display (using DVI - VGA
adapter; connected to a 2 ports OmniCube KVM to share two desktops). No
problems with the primary screen so far.

2. My secondary monitor is my old Sharp 20" CRT TV. It is connected to a
Toshiba VCR and a bowtie antenna (no cable and satellite). The video
card's TV out is via the bundled cables (red, yellow, and green circular
connectors). I use the green one to another extension cord (TV is on the
other side of the room) via a RCA cable.

Is my video card defective, missing/misconfigured, or something? Thank
you in advance.
--
"When you need a helpline for breakfast cereals, it's time to start thinking about tearing down civilization and giving the ants a go." --Chris King in A.S.R.
/\___/\
( )
Old December 25th 06, 07:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Cameron Walsh

wrote:
Hello,

My computer hardware upgrade (Christmas gift) is finally done, but I am
having problems with the new EVGA's NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT KO (512 MB;
PCIe). The TV out color is in black and white/gray scale.

SNIP
2. My secondary monitor is my old Sharp 20" CRT TV. It is connected to a
Toshiba VCR and a bowtie antenna (no cable and satellite). The video
card's TV out is via the bundled cables (red, yellow, and green circular
connectors). I use the green one to another extension cord (TV is on the
other side of the room) via a RCA cable.

Hi Ant,

The fact that one of the plugs is green rather than white suggests that
your new video card is outputting Component Video instead of Composite.
However, usually Component plugs are red, green and blue, not red,
green and yellow. In fact I'm sure that you have component out, because
there's no way you'd be getting audio out of the graphics card.

You will need to check the documentation that came with your card to see
if it is possible to make the splitter box output composite instead of
component video.

The documentation on the website says the card can output composite,
component and s-video. Composite is one RCA cable, usually yellow.
S-Video is a 4-pin cable, usually black. Component is 3 plugs (H,S,V),
usually Red, Green and Blue. There might be a switch on the box that
plugs into the graphics card, or you might have separate cables for
composite/s-video/component. Check the box carefully.

Merry Christmas and hope it helps,

Cameron.
Old December 25th 06, 07:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Cameron Walsh wrote:
wrote:
[...]

OOPS! The yellow one is the RCA. I do have red, green, and blue. And of
course the black one (like a PS/2 port).

You will need to check the documentation that came with your card to see
if it is possible to make the splitter box output composite instead of
component video.

What's the difference between these two? How do I make a splitter box? I
am not an audio and visual expert.

The documentation on the website says the card can output composite,
component and s-video. Composite is one RCA cable, usually yellow.
S-Video is a 4-pin cable, usually black. Component is 3 plugs (H,S,V),
usually Red, Green and Blue. There might be a switch on the box that
plugs into the graphics card, or you might have separate cables for
composite/s-video/component. Check the box carefully.

Switch box? I don't think my card came with one. Nor do I see it
mentioned.

Merry Christmas and hope it helps,

Thanks and you too.
--
"When you need a helpline for breakfast cereals, it's time to start thinking about tearing down civilization and giving the ants a go." --Chris King in A.S.R.
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @
http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
( )
Old December 25th 06, 11:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Cameron Walsh

wrote:
Cameron Walsh wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Ok, I was expecting the card to come with a little black box that would
plug in to the graphics card, with various RCA plus/s-video plugs on
that. Apparently that is not the case. I can't really tell you much
more without seeing what came in the box or the manual.

As far as the difference between composite and component goes, composite
is lower quality, and uses 1 RCA cable for video (the red and white
would be audio). Component is higher quality (better than s-video) and
uses 3 RCA cables for video, and 2 for audio.

It's not just an NTSC/PAL issue is it? If you've got a European or
Australian TV, set the TV-out style to PAL. If it's US or Japanese, try
NTSC.

Otherwise all I can do is point you to the graphics card manual or the
CD that came with it.

All the best,

Cameron.

Old December 25th 06, 05:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

[...]

It is one of those bundled cable with a connector to the video card.
Remember those old ATI Radeon All-ibn-Wonder 9600 cards? If so, then
it is like those.

As far as the difference between composite and component goes, composite
is lower quality, and uses 1 RCA cable for video (the red and white
would be audio). Component is higher quality (better than s-video) and
uses 3 RCA cables for video, and 2 for audio.

Well, I think I am stuck with a RCA cable because of this VCR and TV. I
don't see anything else to use?

It's not just an NTSC/PAL issue is it? If you've got a European or
Australian TV, set the TV-out style to PAL. If it's US or Japanese, try
NTSC.

Yeah, I tried forcing M/NTSC as others mentioned. No luck. But remember,
I have this B&W problem before I even load Windows XP like the BIOS
splash screen.

Otherwise all I can do is point you to the graphics card manual or the
CD that came with it.

Well, I did find this:
From my video card's manual on page 11:

Problem: My card carries the support for TV-Out but cannot get a dislay
on TV.

Cause: The TV is not properly detected by windows due to signal loss
and/or is not enabled within Display Control Panel.

Solution: There must be a direct connection from the TV to the graphics
card through an RCA or S-Video cable. There cannot be any intermediary
devices such as a VCR, receiver, or switch box within the connection.
Power on the TV before booting Windows and enable the TV-Out feature
during Device Selection of the Display Control Panel.

What? Don't tell me this is true.
Old December 26th 06, 01:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

From my video card's manual on page 11:

Problem: My card carries the support for TV-Out but cannot get a dislay
on TV.

Cause: The TV is not properly detected by windows due to signal loss
and/or is not enabled within Display Control Panel.

Solution: There must be a direct connection from the TV to the graphics
card through an RCA or S-Video cable. There cannot be any intermediary
devices such as a VCR, receiver, or switch box within the connection.
Power on the TV before booting Windows and enable the TV-Out feature
during Device Selection of the Display Control Panel.

What? Don't tell me this is true.

I got a reply in
http://www.evga.com/community/messag...TOPIC_ID=23539
telling me that my 10(?) years old CRT TV can't handle the signal and
that I need a video switch/processor. Is this true? I don't think the
card said I needed a HDTV?

Old December 26th 06, 04:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Cameron Walsh

wrote:
Well, I did find this:
From my video card's manual on page 11:

Problem: My card carries the support for TV-Out but cannot get a dislay
on TV.

Cause: The TV is not properly detected by windows due to signal loss
and/or is not enabled within Display Control Panel.

Solution: There must be a direct connection from the TV to the graphics
card through an RCA or S-Video cable. There cannot be any intermediary
devices such as a VCR, receiver, or switch box within the connection.
Power on the TV before booting Windows and enable the TV-Out feature
during Device Selection of the Display Control Panel.

What? Don't tell me this is true.

I got a reply in
http://www.evga.com/community/messag...TOPIC_ID=23539
telling me that my 10(?) years old CRT TV can't handle the signal and
that I need a video switch/processor. Is this true? I don't think the
card said I needed a HDTV?

I've read a couple of replies on that website:

1024x768 is HDTV, 768p non-widescreen.

You should be able to get 800x600, otherwise 640x480 through a standard
composite cable. Try setting the resolution of the TV to 640x480 in the
display-settings window on the computer.

I'm hoping that your graphics card is intelligently choosing composite
out somehow. If not, you may be able to set that in the display
settings for your card. (Right click on desktop, settings, advanced,
etc.) If you find a setting for composite/s-video/component out, make
sure you choose composite. The setting may be buried quite deep.

It is possible that your VCR thinks it is getting an NTSC signal, but
your TV thinks it is getting a PAL signal, or vice-versa. The
auto-detect feature on some TV's doesn't work very well. Read the
manuals for the VCR and TV and check to see if you can force detection
of a PAL or NTSC signal. I prefer PAL, as it is higher resolution,
others prefer NTSC because of the higher framerate. It may be that your
TV can only support one format, in which case, choose that one everywhere.

The fact that you are getting some signal on the TV, even if it is black
and white, suggests that it should somehow be possible to get this to
work. I think the VCR between the card and the TV might have caused a
different problem for other people, i.e. no display at all, but that's
another story.

Running out of ideas here...

Cameron.
Old December 26th 06, 04:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
goPostal

"Cameron Walsh" wrote in message
Well, I did find this:
From my video card's manual on page 11:

[...]

Not to butt in, but doesn't some VCR's have difficulties as a "pass through"
devices and the macrovision built into them can cause the black and white
issue? I remember reading about that a year or so ago.

Old December 26th 06, 06:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Well, I did find this:
From my video card's manual on page 11:

[...]

I tried 640x480 and still get B&W/gray scale. Just a larger image.

I'm hoping that your graphics card is intelligently choosing composite
out somehow. If not, you may be able to set that in the display
settings for your card. (Right click on desktop, settings, advanced,
etc.) If you find a setting for composite/s-video/component out, make
sure you choose composite. The setting may be buried quite deep.

Yeah, I tried that too. No help.

It is possible that your VCR thinks it is getting an NTSC signal, but
your TV thinks it is getting a PAL signal, or vice-versa. The
auto-detect feature on some TV's doesn't work very well. Read the
manuals for the VCR and TV and check to see if you can force detection
of a PAL or NTSC signal. I prefer PAL, as it is higher resolution,
others prefer NTSC because of the higher framerate. It may be that your
TV can only support one format, in which case, choose that one everywhere.

If this helps... The TV is a Sharp 19G-M60 and was bought on 3/18/1996
(10.75 years old!) according to this saved Costco receipt ($170). The
VCR is a Toshiba W-627. According to the manual's specifications, it
only knows standard NTSC. I can't find anything about the TV if it
supports PAL and stuff. I assume it is just NTSC.

The fact that you are getting some signal on the TV, even if it is black
and white, suggests that it should somehow be possible to get this to
work. I think the VCR between the card and the TV might have caused a
different problem for other people, i.e. no display at all, but that's
another story.

Yah, and all previous video cards: Matrox G400, Leadtek GeForce 2
Pro(?), Leadtek GF4 Ti4200, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW, and XFX GF 6800
never had problems. Now, I have problems with my new video card: EVGA
GeForce 7950 GT KO.

Running out of ideas here...

Yeah, what to try. I hope I don't haev to buy a new TV.
Old December 26th 06, 06:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Well, I did find this:
From my video card's manual on page 11:

[...]

Is there a name for this that I can look in the VCR's old dusty manual?
And what's the workaround/fix if this is the case?