nVidia 6600 and Soundblaster Xfi

Old December 8th 06, 02:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Dennis OBrien

Default nVidia 6600 and Soundblaster Xfi

I have all sorts of problems with shutting down or restart when
Display Properties are enabled in the 6600 display panel.
I installed the sound card recently and the problem followed.
Creative customer support have no answer to this problem.
Have not tried Nvidia customer support yet.

I use MS XP Home Ed SP2 w/- DirX 9Nvidia 6600 and
Creative Sound Blaster XFi. Latest drivers from Creative
make things worse resulting in removal and a CleanBoot
process for Windows. I have Asus P4p800S-X m/board
with on board sound disabled.

Anyone elses having problems?

Any fixes? Please post or reply.

Old December 8th 06, 02:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Dennis OBrien wrote:
I have all sorts of problems with shutting down or restart when
Display Properties are enabled in the 6600 display panel.
I installed the sound card recently and the problem followed.
Creative customer support have no answer to this problem.
Have not tried Nvidia customer support yet.

I use MS XP Home Ed SP2 w/- DirX 9Nvidia 6600 and
Creative Sound Blaster XFi. Latest drivers from Creative
make things worse resulting in removal and a CleanBoot
process for Windows. I have Asus P4p800S-X m/board
with on board sound disabled.

Anyone elses having problems?

Any fixes? Please post or reply.

It sounds like you are trying to point the finger at the classic
pci-latency design-disaster that the X-fi suffers from. If you do have
that issue (not say, you forgot to assign an IRQ to your video card in
your bios?) then you are going to have to cross your fingers.

First step is picking just the right PCI slot for your sound card, as
you know, each pci slot shares an IRQ with some other, seemingly random
device. Your mobo, the tragic ASUS P4S800D-X, runs on an SiS chipset,
make sure you have the current chipset drivers. Consult the manual, or
online docs for clues which PCI slot to avoid. Never use the slot
closest to the video card, this is true on all motherboards. Find one
that shares resources with a device you can shut off, or rarely use.

You can then either go into the bios and manually adjust your pci
latency clock to allow the X-fi to hold onto the bus for more
milliseconds or you can skip that and instead do a clean install of your
os -- chipset drivers -- windows updates -- video card drivers --
sound card drivers and hope for the best....or then go into your bios
and fiddle with the pci latency clock. (Set it to 64c if it is already
set at 32c. Nvidia cards hog the bus with a locked by their drivers
setting of 255c, but for the right technical reasons, mostly.)

Lastly, make sure you disable pretty much every service and startup
'helper' program Creative installs when you install drivers. There are
several, and unless you are doing funky things with the remote and the
break out box on the platinum models and windvd, you don't need any of
those borky programs running 24/7. If you don't know how to disable
programs that start before you do, try Autoruns at Sysinternals.com.
Good luck, you'll need it.