processor limits

Old July 18th 06, 02:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Peter

Default processor limits

Hey does an Amd 3200 limit the use of higher end cards like 7900gt ko or
even gtx 512 mb I dont want to get one if Im not going to notice a
difference.
Any info on this I suppose it depends on the game. Thanks

Old July 18th 06, 04:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mike Bernstein

I cannot speak for 7900 cards but I have an AMD XP 3200+ and was having real
difficulties with Oblivion with my 5950 Ultra. I upgraded to a 7800GS
Extreme (I am limited to AGP) and the difference on Oblivion is just
amazing. MS Flight Simulator 2004 is not very different between the two,
although it was fine on the 5950 Ultra anyway, and it is known for being a
CPU hog rather than a GPU hog.

Mike Bernstein

Old July 19th 06, 05:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

"Peter" wrote in message
Hey does an Amd 3200 limit the use of higher end cards like 7900gt ko or
even gtx 512 mb I dont want to get one if Im not going to notice a
difference.

There's a big price difference between the 7900GT and GTX 512 MB. :-) And
there's no sense in getting a factory-overclocked version of the 7900
series, they'll just display artifacts under heavy load.

Any info on this I suppose it depends on the game. Thanks

It does depend on the game and your monitor. nVidia cards cannot
simultaneously do FSAA with HDR in most games. Often the only way to exploit
the card's power is to run at 1600x1200 or higher.