New cards DX10 discussed on Megagames

Old July 7th 06, 08:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Boe

Default New cards DX10 discussed on Megagames

I'm stoked there is at least a teeny, tiny bit more info about the new DX10
cards coming out from nVidia and ATI. It seems in the past, more details
would be out by now from both vendors. Frankly although I would love to
buy a new card as I'm building a new PC next month, I'll just use an old
card until the new killer 7950 type card comes from ATI or nVidia. I'm open
to either company as long as it is their fasted GPU on a dual GPU card that
supports DX10. I'll probably go with whichever Zalman has a GPU silencer
solution that can be used on a dual GPU card.

Old July 8th 06, 01:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Conor

In article , Boe says...
I'm stoked there is at least a teeny, tiny bit more info about the new DX10
cards coming out from nVidia and ATI. It seems in the past, more details
would be out by now from both vendors. Frankly although I would love to
buy a new card as I'm building a new PC next month, I'll just use an old
card until the new killer 7950 type card comes from ATI or nVidia. I'm open
to either company as long as it is their fasted GPU on a dual GPU card that
supports DX10. I'll probably go with whichever Zalman has a GPU silencer
solution that can be used on a dual GPU card.

Sad.

--
Conor
Sig under construction. Please check back when Duke Nukem Forever ships

Cashback on online purchases:
http://www.TopCashBack.co.uk/Conor/ref/index.htm
Old July 8th 06, 03:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Lewis

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 12:11:35 -0700, "Boe"
wrote:

I'm stoked there is at least a teeny, tiny bit more info about the new DX10
cards coming out from nVidia and ATI. It seems in the past, more details
would be out by now from both vendors. Frankly although I would love to
buy a new card as I'm building a new PC next month, I'll just use an old
card until the new killer 7950 type card comes from ATI or nVidia. I'm open
to either company as long as it is their fasted GPU on a dual GPU card that
supports DX10. I'll probably go with whichever Zalman has a GPU silencer
solution that can be used on a dual GPU card.

The bleeding-edge version DX10 GPUs are expected to take over 100
watts each and even a single card will require an auxiliary
power-supply. Seems as if the quietest solution is going to be fluid
or phase-change/fluid.

John Lewis

Old July 8th 06, 04:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Larry Roberts:

The bleeding-edge version DX10 GPUs are expected to take over 100
watts each and even a single card will require an auxiliary
power-supply. Seems as if the quietest solution is going to be fluid
or phase-change/fluid.

That is horrible. That means we will need to shell out $500.00
to $600.00 for 1KW PSU just to meet specs of these GPUs?

How about just waiting until something real will be released instead of
following blind speculations and rumors?

Benjamin
Old July 8th 06, 05:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

It's easy to exaggerate the power requirements because of all the cheap,
overrated PSUs on the market. A high-end system with an Athlon FX-57 and
7950GX2 draws only 270 W total, at the wall, which includes the PSU's
inefficiencies: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2769&p=3.

Even if a flagship DX10 video card consumed 100W, which we won't really know
until the hardware is actually released, you should be able to drive the
system with a 400W-500W quality PSU, pretty affordable. T-Bird CPUs in 2001
were already pushing over 90W.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ0LCwsaGVudGh1c2lhc3Q=
Now it's just the video card's turn.

Of course, the other option is to just mount an auxiliary PSU to power the
video card. Two 500W PSUs certainly cost less than a single 1-kW unit.

Old July 8th 06, 11:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Lewis

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 20:37:37 -0700, Benjamin Gawert
wrote:

* Larry Roberts:

The bleeding-edge version DX10 GPUs are expected to take over 100
watts each and even a single card will require an auxiliary
power-supply. Seems as if the quietest solution is going to be fluid
or phase-change/fluid.

That is horrible. That means we will need to shell out $500.00
to $600.00 for 1KW PSU just to meet specs of these GPUs?

Nope. Just need an auxiliary power-supply (presumably a very
high-efficiency +12V-only out) that slots into an empty 5,25
case-slot. Exactly how mains power gets routed to it is a little
vague.

How about just waiting until something real will be released instead of
following blind speculations and rumors?

Benjamin

Obviously you have not been following the latest news from sundry
computer shows. A careful perusal of recent Anandtech articles seems
warranted.

John Lewis

Old July 8th 06, 11:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
HockeyTownUSA

"Boe" wrote in message
. ..
I'm stoked there is at least a teeny, tiny bit more info about the new
DX10
cards coming out from nVidia and ATI. It seems in the past, more details
would be out by now from both vendors. Frankly although I would love to
buy a new card as I'm building a new PC next month, I'll just use an old
card until the new killer 7950 type card comes from ATI or nVidia. I'm
open
to either company as long as it is their fasted GPU on a dual GPU card
that
supports DX10. I'll probably go with whichever Zalman has a GPU silencer
solution that can be used on a dual GPU card.

There is a 7950GX2 card from eVGA that is a single PCI-E x16 slot design
with two cards built in. I wouldn't even think about DirectX 10 right now
since that is supposed to be shipped with Windows Vista which won't be
coming out until Q1 2007 as it stands right now (will probably be later
even).

So buy now, and I'm sure anything high end that you get now will power any
game just fine for the next two to three years. I used my X800 XT Platinum
AGP for over two years and it still runs everything I throw at it. Just
recently went to a PCI-Express setup with an eVGA 7900 GT KO Superclocked
just because I had the money and wanted to see what all the fuss was about.
To be honest, I should have stuck with my X800 until the end of this year
and then gone with a PCI-Express setup then as I don't see a huge
improvement in quality or frame rate, especially in games I'm playing (BF2,
Obilvion, Falcon 4 Allied Force, GR:AW).

Old July 9th 06, 02:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Boe

Considering that they are releasing DX10 cards in just 4 months, I'm not
about to dish out $600 for anything until I can get what I want. Halo2
should be out in 6 months and it uses DX10. I really liked the first one
so I'll definitely want to try the second one. Since I have an old 6800 I
might as well wait before shelling out big bucks for a new card. I'm just
hoping they release dual GPU cards very shortly after the first DX10 cards
are released.

"HockeyTownUSA" wrote in message
. ..

. ..

Old July 9th 06, 02:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* John Lewis:

How about just waiting until something real will be released instead of
following blind speculations and rumors?

Obviously you have not been following the latest news from sundry
computer shows. A careful perusal of recent Anandtech articles seems
warranted.

I have followed the news, and it's the same like always ( a mix from
announcements, pre-release hardware and rumors). Like always there are
certain sites that of course have the latest "facts", and like always
the resulting product that will be in the stores will have some
differences to what these sites tell...

Waiting until the first production-ready cards are out is probably more
useful...

Benjamin