PowerDVD fails to play DVD's with Geforce 2 MX/MX 4400 video card

Old December 31st 05, 01:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default PowerDVD fails to play DVD's with Geforce 2 MX/MX 4400 video card

Apologies if this is the wrong group; first time poster to this, and it
seems relevant, but also relates to Cyberlink PowerDVD 5.0 (for which I
cannot find a relevant newsgroup).

I have Windows XP Pro running on a Nvidia Geforce 2 MX/MX 4400 (64 meg)
video display card.

I'm trying to play DVD's via PowerDVD ver 5.0 but gives an error message as
follows when the disk is loaded:

"Error Code F4D41436 The TV Out Port of your display card is not working
properly.

Under the "Detailed" button it says "This copy protected disc cannot be
played when the TV Out function is enabled".

So....1) how to disable TV-Out, and 2) would upgrading drivers for the card
fix the issue? I've seem some posts on the 'net that suggest *downgrading*
the drivers might help?

At the moment I seem to have the card running on Microsoft's default Windows
drivers (not a good idea, but works OK, until I tried the DVDs....).

I recently did a Windows XP reinstall (clean) and changed from a Nvidia AGP
card to a PCI Gefore 2 MX/MX 4400 if that makes a difference). PowerDVD
worked fine previously (system was a dual-boot with Windows ME/XP). Have
also just done conversion to NTFS. That was the only other major system
change.

At the moment this card is running with Microsoft (the XP default) drivers,
not the Nvidia "ForceWare" drivers/application. Am downloading that as I
write.

At the moment, I"m trying to download the Forceware (an earlier version
since I've seen posts about this error, and that it has something to do with
the copy protection, I can't get past the licence acceptance screen on
www.nvidia.com for some reason, I've allowed it in my firewall, and browser,
don't know what the problem is.

Are there any other sources I can get these drivers from, and
recommendations on the version where PowerDVD 5.0 works OK with the Geforce
2 MX/MX 4400?

Am also posting this to Windows.hardware group.

Thanks for any advice.

Old December 31st 05, 09:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Another reliable place to get drivers from is Guru3D.Com. Just be careful to
download only the official nVidia releases, as the site also hosts
"enhanced"/modified drivers.

If DVDs still don't play after installing Forceware drivers, feel free to
ditch PowerDVD altogether and use the open-source Media Player Classic,
which has internal support for DVD/VCDs. It also doesn't care about
copy-protection.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ckage_id=84358

Old January 1st 06, 12:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

It wasn't playing on my PC monitor (never tried or intended to play through
TV); comes up with the error below regarding "Copy protection" and TV Out
being enabled - I don't see or understand the connection why copy protection
has anything to do with TV Out being enabled or disabled (not using TV Out,
period) I'm playing an original DVD, and quite a recent release e.g. Die
Hard which in recent years has come out on DVD, and I think had the
macro-whatever copy protection.

However I've since solved the problem - the card was using Microsoft's
default drivers (Windows XP Pro), I d/l the nvidia drivers and it now works
OK.

Andrew M

Old January 1st 06, 12:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Yes, I actually did get the drivers (Forceware for the Geforce 2) from
Guru3d.com. I did a google on the error message and that site popped up in
the results.

I believe I have one that is the MS approved/verified one from that site.

I had trouble with www.nvidia.com it wouldn't let me past the "licence
agreement page" the link "I Agree" didn't work or proceed with the download.
Guru3D is definitely a site I'll revisit, as long as I have the Nvidia
chipset card(s).

Now the card is using its real drivers rather than the Windows default one,
PowerDVD works fine, as it always has.

Old January 3rd 06, 03:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Andrew Murray wrote:
It wasn't playing on my PC monitor (never tried or intended to play through
TV); comes up with the error below regarding "Copy protection" and TV Out
being enabled - I don't see or understand the connection why copy protection
has anything to do with TV Out being enabled or disabled (not using TV Out,
period) I'm playing an original DVD, and quite a recent release e.g. Die
Hard which in recent years has come out on DVD, and I think had the
macro-whatever copy protection.

Officially licensed DVD playback software is required to honor the
Macrovision protection flag on the disc. If the disc requires
Macrovision protection, the software will not allow the disc to play
with a TV output enabled unless it can verify that Macrovision is
enabled on the TV output signal.

Unlicensed DVD player software like VLC Player ignores such
restrictions, of course..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from