Annoying bug in 81.85 with Quake 3

Old November 3rd 05, 10:20 AM
Black

Default Annoying bug in 81.85 with Quake 3

Automaticly selecting medium textures and bilinear filtering each time
the game starts. Changing the settings within quake requires it to be
resetting the settings twice.

I don't know what their doing (actually I've got my suspicions which I
won't say) but it's time to be a little more up front.

Nvidia has the advantage right now with a 6 month lead on the new
hardware and a possible 2 tier card generation (limited 2 card
manufacturing means a hell of a lot) The competitor will likely
fumble the next generation if the green team pulls a fast turn around.
Skip a generation (you've got the silicon) and do 4x as well as adding
2 xtra cards to the next.

Do what it takes to get Aniso working properly and perhaps the next
gen card ought to have less optimizations more of a solid performer.
Come on now.

They lost the xbox deal because of linux (there's no if and or butts
about it, ati announced solid drivers then pulled out a month after
they got the deal), nvidia should consider alternatives to doing the
drivers themselves. Use ati's pullout as an advantage in online
communities.
Old November 4th 05, 03:32 AM
First of One

Are there build-in profiles for Quake3 in the nVidia drivers? What happens
if you delete them?

You've double-checked that the autoexec config file doesn't contain any
options that'll automatically default to medium textures and bilinear, and
that no file in the Quake 3 directory is earmarked read-only, right? I don't
want to insult your intelligence, but Quake 3 is a very old game. Most sites
no longer use it for comparison testing.

I wonder if this is related to the bug in MOHAA, where nVidia has to do
specific application detection to get the game running (see the release
notes).

Old November 5th 05, 03:03 PM

I've noticed that too about the 81.85's. It takes two times to make it
right, just like you said. Interesting. I too won't speak on it since I've
been an n\/idi/-\ man since the 3D Prophet video card days. Anyone have a
work around??

--