Best settings for Half Life 2?

Old September 17th 05, 12:47 PM
Richard Dower

Default Best settings for Half Life 2?

I just purchased a legit copy of Half Life 2....Steam, not as bad as people
made it out to be, though installiation was time consuming.

I have a XFX 7800GTX and can easily O/C to 490/1320. I am using the latest
78.01 drivers. There are many options for quality settings....could anyone
give me a rundown as to what the best settings for best visual quality might
be?

Antialiasing settings + Anistropic filtering, application controlled or
manual?...if if leave at default the in game options give me 6x AA and 16x
AF....which would be better?

Any other options i can enable for better image quality?, frame rates are
not an issue as i have an AMD FX-57 @ 3.0Ghz.

Old September 17th 05, 01:27 PM
Sune Storgaard

Richard Dower wrote:

Any other options i can enable for better image quality?, frame rates
are not an issue as i have an AMD FX-57 @ 3.0Ghz.

Then just max out the settings, max ANI filtering, max AA, max details, max
resolution,force V sync enabled in driver for those games that doesnt have
it pr default.

The visual difference between 4 and 6x anti aliasing is minimal though,and
same with x8/x16 ani. So if it starts to drop in fps, reducing those wont
ruin anything.

--
This episode is called: "an elephant ****s a pig".
But the networks had it changed to "an elephant makes love to a pig".

Old September 17th 05, 01:38 PM
Richard Dower

"Sune Storgaard" wrote in message
Then just max out the settings, max ANI filtering, max AA, max details,
max resolution,force V sync enabled in driver for those games that doesnt
have it pr default.

Why enabel Vertical Sync?...i thought i you should always disable VSync?

The visual difference between 4 and 6x anti aliasing is minimal though,and
same with x8/x16 ani. So if it starts to drop in fps, reducing those wont
ruin anything.

How about 6x AA versus 8xS AA?

Old September 17th 05, 01:44 PM
anishcool

Wow ! Thats one hell of a rig you have there buddy !

Once you complete your *huge* 800MB odd download, and get HL2 running,
it will detect the settings on its own.

Here are some though :

1024x768 - 6x AA, 16x AF
1280 x 1024 - 4xAA, 16xAF (nVidia's AF :P)

You can experiment and get the same, difficult for me to tell you,
hopefully anything should work on that kinda rig

--
anishcool
anishcool's Profile: http://www.techenclave.com/forums/member.php?u=627

The Tech SuperSite for India - www.techenclave.com

Old September 17th 05, 01:46 PM
Andrew

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 13:38:00 +0100, "Richard Dower"
wrote:

Why enabel Vertical Sync?...i thought i you should always disable VSync?

You disable it for benchmarks, for actual use it is better to enable
it to avoid image tearing.
Old September 17th 05, 03:35 PM
Flow

Try to stay above 75fps in all circumstances,i found maxing all out
sometimes dropped the fps to 50 and this played less smooth.
It did not matter i had my xp3800 @ 2.7Ghz,also setting my core/mem @
570/600 did not make much difference.
I use AA 4x because the rest is overkill and only blurs my screen image,this
is ofcourse a personal experience,which depends on the type of monitor u
use.
Playing at a refresh rate of 100hz already smoothens out alot so no AF for
me.
Ofcourse your card is faster then my x850pro,hence the advice to maintain
plus 75fps.

"anishcool" schreef in
bericht ...

Old September 17th 05, 04:09 PM
Dragoncarer

wrote:

Why enabel Vertical Sync?...i thought i you should always disable VSync?

You disable it for benchmarks, for actual use it is better to enable
it to avoid image tearing.

I have an XFX7800GT, and honestly I can't see a difference between VSync
being on or off. But maybe I'm not looking for the right thing - in which
case, well I can't simply noticed the difference so it seems pointless to
have it on. Especially considering VSync drastically reduces FPS in some
areas of every game I've tried it on.

Saying that, I usually max everything else out and run at 1600x1200 in all
games. With HL2 I had:
1600x1200
Max AA (maybe one less than max, actually, can't quite remember)
Max AF.
Max everything else.
No VSync.

It ran as smooth as a hot knife through butter.

Old September 17th 05, 05:13 PM
Conor

In article , Richard Dower says...

"Sune Storgaard" wrote in message
Then just max out the settings, max ANI filtering, max AA, max details,
max resolution,force V sync enabled in driver for those games that doesnt
have it pr default.

Why enabel Vertical Sync?...i thought i you should always disable VSync?

Yeah go ahead and watch that lovely tearing effect as you move fast.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.
Old September 17th 05, 07:39 PM
NoRemorse

wrote:

[...]

VSync is just a frame limiter that limits the number of fps to the refresh
rate of your display. It's not a quality setting.

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

Old September 18th 05, 04:31 AM
BigJIm

anything 60 fps or higher is great
the eye sees smooth flow at that, below 60 and it gets choppy