Just curious about a cooling idea

Old February 18th 04, 12:20 PM
Bryan

Default Just curious about a cooling idea

Hello all
Whilst sitting on the dunny the other day,I came up with an idea
(probably been done before but I havent seen it mentioned) for cooling cpus.
What if you were to use the refrigeration unit but have the part that
gets cold (I cant think of the name..Cooling coil?) actually built in to the
heatsink.Would probably just freeze up,but might be able to be regulated
somehow.It would seem to be the most direct way of applying the cooling.
Anyone ever done this?

Old February 18th 04, 01:12 PM
Muttly

I'm not entirly certain but I'm pretty sure thats how the Vapochill case
works.
http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/r...ChillPE_1.html
Martin.

Old February 18th 04, 03:29 PM
ElJerid

"Bryan" wrote in message
Hello all
Whilst sitting on the dunny the other day,I came up with an idea
(probably been done before but I havent seen it mentioned) for cooling

cpus.
What if you were to use the refrigeration unit but have the part that
gets cold (I cant think of the name..Cooling coil?) actually built in to

the
heatsink.Would probably just freeze up,but might be able to be regulated
somehow.It would seem to be the most direct way of applying the cooling.
Anyone ever done this?

I've done this before. I used the cooling circuitry of a minibar unit, and
put (only) the cooling element inside the PC case, horizontally and just
above the 2 front fans. This resulted in a cooling delta of 6 °C for the
case and 4-6 °C for the CPU. I however encountered some minor set up
problems:
- to adapt the leads to the case, I had to cut them and refill the cooling
liquid (freon). Fortunately, I had a friend doing airco who could do the
job.
- when the PC is out, the cooler element starts to freeze, and when the PC
starts to warm up again, the ice smelts. This however didn't cause any
damage, as there are no electronic parts under the element. But I still got
some water...
- for the reason above, I had to cut the cooler power before shutting down
the PC, but this also means that when restarting, I needed 20 - 30 min.
before the cooling to take effect.
In fact, the results were not as good as I hoped, due to the fact that with
a minibar, when the door is closed, no more thermal exchange is required,
while in a working PC, the heat addition is permanent and the cooling not so
effective.
I think the solution is interesting to reduce the cpu temp with +/- 5 °C,
but only for PC's that are always on.