replacing gf 4 ti 4200 heatsink

Old February 18th 04, 02:18 AM
raj

Default replacing gf 4 ti 4200 heatsink

i have a large socket a cooler from a 3200+ ( I upgraded to thermaltake
silent boost ) and was woundering if any knwo if it si possible to put this
stock cooler for scket a on my geforce 4 ti 4200, if thier is any kinda of
ghetto way i can put it on

Old February 18th 04, 07:35 AM
neopolaris

raj wrote:
i have a large socket a cooler from a 3200+ ( I upgraded to
thermaltake silent boost ) and was woundering if any knwo if it si
possible to put this stock cooler for scket a on my geforce 4 ti
4200, if thier is any kinda of ghetto way i can put it on

Artic Silver Silver Adhesive providing it'll fit. I use that to mount a SS7
HSF to a GF2 GTS

Old February 18th 04, 11:56 PM
PRIVATE1964

Artic Silver Silver Adhesive providing it'll fit. I use that to mount a SS7
HSF to a GF2 GTS

I wouldn't use that. Its too messy and too much risk. I know its better
thermally then everything else, but I found its hard to work with. I find when
you try to attach heatsinks they slide all over the place and the stuff goes
everywhere which is not good because its slightly conductive.
I would use Artic Alumina Adhesive instead. It is super strong and it seems to
dry quicker and grab onto the heatsink without it sliding all over the place
as you apply pressure. Its not as good thermally as Arctic Silver adhesive, but
its close.
Old February 19th 04, 03:37 AM
raj

just out of curiosity I got a socket a cooler with a heatsink (was use on
athlon xp 2600+) could I use it on my gf 4 ti 4200 using adhesive?

Old February 19th 04, 03:41 AM
PRIVATE1964

One more thing about the Arctic Alumina. If you have any left over its great
to use for other things also because its heat resistant and you don't have to
worry about it shorting anything out.
I've used it to cover wires that I have soldered, to hold on an 80mm fan I
attached to my video card, to glue a pot to my motherboard for a vcore
mod....etc great stuff!
Old February 19th 04, 01:00 PM
neopolaris

PRIVATE1964 wrote:
Artic Silver Silver Adhesive providing it'll fit. I use that to
mount a SS7 HSF to a GF2 GTS

I wouldn't use that. Its too messy and too much risk. I know its
better thermally then everything else, but I found its hard to work
with. I find when you try to attach heatsinks they slide all over the
place and the stuff goes everywhere which is not good because its
slightly conductive.
I would use Artic Alumina Adhesive instead. It is super strong and it
seems to dry quicker and grab onto the heatsink without it sliding
all over the place as you apply pressure. Its not as good thermally
as Arctic Silver adhesive, but its close.

Good point. It's not for newbs but the thermal properties are far superior
than the Alumina. I had my HSF clamped on for 30minutes and was using it
the next morning so the cure time is about the same. Once again, the silver
isn't for the newbs. If you are scared, use the Alumina.

Old February 19th 04, 02:44 PM
PRIVATE1964

Once again, the silver
isn't for the newbs. If you are scared, use the Alumina.

I'm far from being a newb, and I still found the Artic Silver Adhesive very
hard to work with. I do think what your saying about the total cure time is
right, but thats not what I meant.
If you use both to attach heatsinks. You won't have to hold the heatsink with
the Artic Alumina as long. It seems to set quicker and the heatsink doesn't
slide as easy as with the Artic Silver Adhesive. When I have used the Artic
Silver adhesive with a clamp. The clamp would have to apply pressure directly
on center or the heatsink would slide all over the place, which I found to be
just about impossible. Using Alumina Adhesive with the same clamp the heatsink
would not slide as much and you would not need the clamp on as long as with
Arctic Silver adhesive.
Old February 19th 04, 05:59 PM
neopolaris

PRIVATE1964 wrote:
Once again, the silver
isn't for the newbs. If you are scared, use the Alumina.

I'm far from being a newb, and I still found the Artic Silver
Adhesive very hard to work with. I do think what your saying about
the total cure time is right, but thats not what I meant.
If you use both to attach heatsinks. You won't have to hold the
heatsink with the Artic Alumina as long. It seems to set quicker and
the heatsink doesn't slide as easy as with the Artic Silver Adhesive.
When I have used the Artic Silver adhesive with a clamp. The clamp
would have to apply pressure directly on center or the heatsink would
slide all over the place, which I found to be just about impossible.
Using Alumina Adhesive with the same clamp the heatsink would not
slide as much and you would not need the clamp on as long as with
Arctic Silver adhesive.

I have never noticed the sliding of parts as you mention. That plus the
superior heat dissapation of the silver, well...there's my input for the OP.
Silver is not for the newbs.

Old February 20th 04, 06:09 AM
tq96

Artic Silver Silver Adhesive providing it'll fit. I use that to
Good point. It's not for newbs but the thermal properties are far
superior than the Alumina. I had my HSF clamped on for 30minutes and

They say that the thermal properties of Ceramique are close to or better
than Arctic Silver without any of the conductive properties.