ATI X700 Pro vs 6600GT ??

Old September 18th 05, 06:44 PM
tod

Default ATI X700 Pro vs 6600GT ??

I'm looking to replace my ATI 9600 Pro (AGP) with something a little newer.
I was going to go ATI X700 Pro, but I would like to know
if there would be any advantages to getting a NVIDIA 6600GT?
I play mostly RTS and a few RPG games, no first person shooters.

Old September 18th 05, 08:10 PM
Matt

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:44:46 GMT, "tod"
wrote:

I'm looking to replace my ATI 9600 Pro (AGP) with something a little newer.
I was going to go ATI X700 Pro, but I would like to know
if there would be any advantages to getting a NVIDIA 6600GT?
I play mostly RTS and a few RPG games, no first person shooters.

http://www.tweakzone.nl/extreviews/3967

I imagine the x700 would fair a bit better in HL2 (in part thanks to
shadow maps being converted up to 32 bit textures---1/3 more overhead)

From personal experience (xp 2500 and a 6600 GT OC + 1 gig of 3200),
HL scores at about 43 fps (min 24 high 80+) at 1024 with AA at 2, max
settings from the graphical interface (I imagine a better image could
be obtained through the console which I did not play with)

Side note: last I checked, the x700 was PCI-E only.

Old September 18th 05, 08:16 PM
Matt

wrote:

I'm looking to replace my ATI 9600 Pro (AGP) with something a little newer.
I was going to go ATI X700 Pro, but I would like to know
if there would be any advantages to getting a NVIDIA 6600GT?
I play mostly RTS and a few RPG games, no first person shooters.

http://www.tweakzone.nl/extreviews/3967

I imagine the x700 would fair a bit better in HL2 (in part thanks to
shadow maps being converted up to 32 bit textures---1/3 more overhead)

From personal experience (xp 2500 and a 6600 GT OC + 1 gig of 3200),
HL scores at about 43 fps (min 24 high 80+) at 1024 with AA at 2, max
settings from the graphical interface (I imagine a better image could
be obtained through the console which I did not play with)

This is online play, lots of close up heavy fightings.

Side note: last I checked, the x700 was PCI-E only.

Old September 18th 05, 08:11 PM
Glitch

tod wrote:
I'm looking to replace my ATI 9600 Pro (AGP) with something a little newer.
I was going to go ATI X700 Pro, but I would like to know
if there would be any advantages to getting a NVIDIA 6600GT?
I play mostly RTS and a few RPG games, no first person shooters.

The biggest advantage is that the 6600GT is a little faster
No,seriously,in this price range 6600GT is the king of the hill unless
you want to buy a 6800LE and then unlock it pipelines.
I would reccomend waiting a little more for the prices to drop and then
buy yourself a 6800 vanilla.

--
Glitches are BAD!!!
Beware...

ICQ:275699535
Old September 18th 05, 10:58 PM
Matt

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 21:11:54 +0200, Glitch
wrote:

tod wrote:
I'm looking to replace my ATI 9600 Pro (AGP) with something a little newer.
I was going to go ATI X700 Pro, but I would like to know
if there would be any advantages to getting a NVIDIA 6600GT?
I play mostly RTS and a few RPG games, no first person shooters.

The biggest advantage is that the 6600GT is a little faster
No,seriously,in this price range 6600GT is the king of the hill unless
you want to buy a 6800LE and then unlock it pipelines.
I would reccomend waiting a little more for the prices to drop and then
buy yourself a 6800 vanilla.

The 6800 is a better choice, plus it has a 256 MB option.

Waiting until prices finally come down (I'm kinda expecting bit of a
pricing war either before or after xmas).
Old September 19th 05, 12:03 AM
Larry Roberts

wrote:

I'm looking to replace my ATI 9600 Pro (AGP) with something a little newer.
I was going to go ATI X700 Pro, but I would like to know
if there would be any advantages to getting a NVIDIA 6600GT?
I play mostly RTS and a few RPG games, no first person shooters.

I was just wondering the same thing. I'm on a strict budget,
and trying to build myself a new Athlon64 Socket 939 system. I'm
having to buy a piece, or two of hardware once a month. So I'm trying
to get the best deal possible.
Before deciding to build up a new A64 PC, I had opted to
upgrade my Athlon XP 3000+ system with an extra 512MB RAM (total 1
GB), and a new 6600GT AGP. For what I spent, I should have stuck with
my GF4 Ti4400 for now, and put that money towards the A64 build.
However, the 6600GT was a nice boost, even though it is bound by the
CPU.
I was checking Newegg out, and seen that the X700Pro was
priced $25.00 less than the 6600GT PCI-E. I went looking for
benchmarks, and seen that the X700Pro scores a little less than the
6600GT in most games. Except in the case of HL2, where it scored about
the same, or even a little more. However Doom3 favored the 6600GT
quite a bit.
Anywho, it will be around Christmas, or even after before I'm
ready to purchase a card, so I'm gona wait, and see what comes out.
Hopefully Nvidia's 7xxx series mid-range cards will come out maybe,
and cause the prices of the 6600GT, and 6800 to drop even more.
You said you where wanting to upgrade a Radeon 9600 Pro AGP
with a 6600GT, or X700 Pro. As far as I know, the X700 Pro comes in
PCI-E only. Only one of the Nvidia 6xxx, or a faster Radeon 9xxx would
be an upgrade for you, unless you are upgrading to a PCI-E system as
well.

Old September 19th 05, 12:27 AM
DaveW

The 6600GT is somewhat faster, and more importantly, has more stable
drivers.

--
DaveW
__________

.net...

Old September 19th 05, 11:14 AM
Larry Roberts

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:27:55 -0700, "DaveW" wrote:

The 6600GT is somewhat faster, and more importantly, has more stable
drivers.

I've always been more favored towards Nvidia, but with the few
ATI cards I've owned in the past, I've found their drivers to be just
as good, or buggy as Nvidia's. The flaws found in both are always
something specific to one thing. It's not like your machine will crash
with every program. If that was the case, we would be paying $500.00
for a 6600GT. It comes down to which card supports the programs you
run at the best performance level for you.