Old January 5th 07, 03:02 PM
Vegas007 Vegas007 is offline
Junior Member

Default Do I need 64bit Win XP for a dual core 64 bit CPU?

I didn't even think of it when I ordered my new system. I currently have the same copy of windows xp home I've had all along. Do I need to get 64 bit XP professional for my Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor to work? I'd hate to have to have to buy a retail copy.. argh
Thanks

Old January 5th 07, 07:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Bob Fry

"V" == Vegas Vegas007 writes:

V Do I need to get 64 bit XP professional for my Athlon 64
V X2 dual core processor to work? I'd hate to have to have to buy
V a retail copy.. argh Thanks

No, and you don't want x64. I naively bought it for my Athlon 64 X2
homebuilt, wanting every bit of performance I could get, and was
disappointed to find my Canon scanner and a couple of other gizmos
didn't have 64 bit drivers. I should have investigated first.
--
The only time people dislike gossip is when you gossip about them.
Will Rogers
Old January 5th 07, 11:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Guest

Just wait to get Vista. I have it now but it does not have my sound card or
printer drivers in 64-bit...

http://www.linkreferral.com/cgi-bin/...oldrefid=20013

Old January 6th 07, 01:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
MCheu

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 15:02:05 +0000, Vegas007
wrote:

I didn't even think of it when I ordered my new system. I currently have
the same copy of windows xp home I've had all along. Do I need to get 64
bit XP professional for my Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor to work? I'd
hate to have to have to buy a retail copy.. argh
Thanks

Nope. At least not for the x86-64 designs like AMD's X2 and Intel's
Core Duo series. The big allure to the AMD64 design (why Intel
eventually adopted it themselves as EMT64) is that it allows the CPU
to run in a 32-bit mode by ignoring the 64bit register extensions.
That means you can run 64 bit software, but you can still run 16 bit
and 32 bit software as well.

WindowsXP will simply see the two cores as two 32 bit CPUs and try to
act accordingly. You won't be able to run 64 bit applications on the
32 bit version of XP without some kludges though. Unless you
absolutely have to run some 64 bit applications, don't bother with
expense and hassle of winXP-64.
Thanks.

MCheu
Old January 9th 07, 04:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
RDN

At first I thought the idea of AMD introducing 64 bit technology was
fantastic.
Going beyond the 4 Gig limits of 32 bit addressing seemed a logical move.

But now; after upgrading my old Athlon XP 1700+ system to an
Althlon 64 3500, then again to a FX-55 San Diego sytem, I feel like
I'm driving a "Corvette" through an area with slow down - men @ work signs
all
over the place.

I think now in retrospect, AMD should of continued improving the Athlon XP
(32bit)
line with the same technolgy of the current Athlon 64s:

Intergrated memory controller
HyperTranport
Larger cache L1 - L2 (1Mib)
PCI Express 16x -
SSE2-SSE3

The software industry / programmers are months, maybe years
behind the CPU hardware industry. With reguards to 64 bit drivers
and applications (Windows x64).

Old January 9th 07, 06:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 23:24:09 -0500, RDN wrote:

The software industry / programmers are months, maybe years
behind the CPU hardware industry. With reguards to 64 bit drivers
and applications (Windows x64).

No, the software industry isn't behind the hardware industry. *nix
operating systems have had 64 bit technology and software for years.
Now if you change the above to read Microsoft, then you could be correct.

Old January 9th 07, 03:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Benjamin Gawert

* RDN:

At first I thought the idea of AMD introducing 64 bit technology was
fantastic.
Going beyond the 4 Gig limits of 32 bit addressing seemed a logical move.

It is, but only for those who also have the demand for more than 4GB...

But now; after upgrading my old Athlon XP 1700+ system to an
Althlon 64 3500, then again to a FX-55 San Diego sytem, I feel like
I'm driving a "Corvette" through an area with slow down - men @ work signs
all
over the place.

Why?

I think now in retrospect, AMD should of continued improving the Athlon XP
(32bit)
line with the same technolgy of the current Athlon 64s:

Intergrated memory controller
HyperTranport
Larger cache L1 - L2 (1Mib)
PCI Express 16x -
SSE2-SSE3

Guess what - AMD did exactly that. The Athlon64 is nothing more than a
AthlonXP with lots of improvements. So what?

BTW: PCIe is a function of the chipset, not of the CPU...

The software industry / programmers are months, maybe years
behind the CPU hardware industry. With reguards to 64 bit drivers
and applications (Windows x64).

Nope, they are not. It's just that the demand for 64bit is very low,
especially on the desktop market. With average PCs still being sold with
1GB and better ones with 2GB there is no need for 64bit. Especially
since 64bit doesn't make your program run faster...

Benjamin
Old March 31st 07, 08:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
dave

Guest wrote:
Just wait to get Vista. I have it now but it does not have my sound card or
printer drivers in 64-bit...

64-bit OpenBSD is running my sound card as I type. Plays TV on my monitor via an Impact Video
capture board. Supports multiple cpu chips. Supports many printers.
Is Free for download from openbsd.org.