Athlon 3200 processor only reads out at 1293.1

Old December 5th 06, 08:26 PM
VenDi VenDi is offline
Junior Member

Default Athlon 3200 processor only reads out at 1293.1

bought my MB used, Asus A7N8X-E deluxe and it already had an Athlon 3200 installed. Well I bought the game, Need for Speed Carbon today and when I start up the game, it shuts down the puter and put out an error to report to Microsoft. I did send the one and it came back that the drivers were probably not written correctly. Well after checking requirements a little further with the game (it'll check your puter for you) it comes up my processor is only at 1293.1 and I have the Athlon 3200 installed. Well since I put this together the only thing I touched in bios was, no floppy. How can I check the processor speed in bios and how do I change it? Also,,,,,,,,,,,,why would it read so low? Came back to do a little edit. I just went into my computer and checked view system information and the it says it's 1.29GHz.
Old December 5th 06, 09:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Roger Hamlett

"VenDi" wrote in message

bought my MB used, Asus A7N8X-E deluxe and it already had an Athlon 3200
installed. Well I bought the game, Need for Speed Carbon today and when
I start up the game, it shuts down the puter and put out an error to
report to Microsoft. I did send the one and it came back that the
drivers were probably not written correctly. Well after checking
requirements a little further with the game (it'll check your puter for
you) it comes up my processor is only at 1293.1 and I have the Athlon
3200 installed. Well since I put this together the only thing I touched
in bios was, no floppy. How can I check the processor speed in bios and
how do I change it? Also,,,,,,,,,,,,why would it read so low? Came back
to do a little edit. I just went into my computer and checked view
system information and the it says it's 1.29GHz.

The Athlon 64 3200+, only actually 'clocks' at 2GHz. The rating is a
'performance' figure. Now 2GHz, is 1.5* the speed your system is actually
running at. Normally the problem, is that the default HT bus clock rate,
on a lot of BIOS's, is 133Mhz, and this needs to be manually raised to
200Mhz, which is the right rate for the processor.
Don't expect the tests you are using to ever show 3.2GHz. The correct rate
for the 3200+, is 2GHz, and running at this rate, it gives performance in
most things equivalent to the Pentium 4 running at 3.2GHz (slightly better
in some tests, and worse in others).
Even running at 1.3GHz, it'll actually be giving performance equivalent to
a P4 at over 2GHz.

Best Wishes

Old December 5th 06, 11:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Richard

The OP states his motherboard is the Asus A7N8X-E deluxe, so I doubt his
cpu is the Athlon 64 3200+. More likely it is an Athlon XP 3200+. But I
do agree that the fsb is probably set incorrectly.

R. Larkin

Old December 6th 06, 07:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Craig Sutton

"VenDi" wrote in message

bought my MB used, Asus A7N8X-E deluxe and it already had an Athlon 3200
installed. Well I bought the game, Need for Speed Carbon today and when
I start up the game, it shuts down the puter and put out an error to
report to Microsoft. I did send the one and it came back that the
drivers were probably not written correctly. Well after checking
requirements a little further with the game (it'll check your puter for
you) it comes up my processor is only at 1293.1 and I have the Athlon
3200 installed. Well since I put this together the only thing I touched
in bios was, no floppy. How can I check the processor speed in bios and
how do I change it? Also,,,,,,,,,,,,why would it read so low? Came back
to do a little edit. I just went into my computer and checked view
system information and the it says it's 1.29GHz.

Go into your bios options and reset to default. If that doesn't fix it you
may need to download the latest bios.

Old December 7th 06, 11:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

VenDi wrote:
bought my MB used, Asus A7N8X-E deluxe and it already had an Athlon 3200
installed. Well I bought the game, Need for Speed Carbon today and when
I start up the game, it shuts down the puter and put out an error to
report to Microsoft. I did send the one and it came back that the
drivers were probably not written correctly. Well after checking
requirements a little further with the game (it'll check your puter for
you) it comes up my processor is only at 1293.1 and I have the Athlon
3200 installed. Well since I put this together the only thing I touched
in bios was, no floppy. How can I check the processor speed in bios and
how do I change it? Also,,,,,,,,,,,,why would it read so low? Came back
to do a little edit. I just went into my computer and checked view
system information and the it says it's 1.29GHz.

Family Core P.R. Pkg CPU Cache Mult Core Tmax Power
Freq Clk Volts

XP Model 10 2200 (3200+) OPGA 200 512 11x 1.65V 85oC 60.4W
Barton 2100 (3000+) OPGA 200 512 10.5x 1.65V 85oC 53.7W

XP Model 10 2167 (3000+) OPGA 166 512 13x 1.65V 85oC 58.4W
Barton 2083 (2800+) OPGA 166 512 12.5x 1.65V 85oC 53.7W
1917 (2600+) OPGA 166 512 11.5x 1.65V 85oC 53.7W
1833 (2500+) OPGA 166 512 11x 1.65V 85oC 53.7W

First of all, AthlonXP motherboards don't always do the right
thing when it comes to setting the CPU clock.

The fact that your core clock reads close to 1300MHz, suggests
to me you have a 3000+ from the second group of Bartons. That
would correspond to a setting of 100 x 13. The 13 number is the
multiplier inside the processor, and for processors after a
certain production date, the multiplier is locked.

The Asus BIOS has a recovery procedure. If the BIOS detects that
the motherboard crashed in a previous run, the BIOS will downclock
the motherboard. That usually means selecting a 100MHz clock
frequency (as that is the lowest clock for the family). That
clock choice is consistent with what has happened to your
board and CPU.

If you enter the BIOS and manually enter 166MHz for the CPU clock,
that may give you the recommended core clock value. That would be
166 x 13 = 2167MHz.

If the computer crashes in the future, or the BIOS thinks the
computer has crashed for some reason, you may have to enter the
BIOS again and set the clock back to 166MHz. If that happens,
you'd want to review the settings you are using in the BIOS, to
make sure you have not set something in an unstable way.

(For example, if you set the Vcore voltage lower than normal,
adjusted RAM timings too aggressively, and so on.)

Now, I could have it all wrong, and maybe you do have a 3200+.
But the thing is, the 13x multiplier your processor seems to
be demonstrating right now, is consistent with you having purchased
a 3000+. If the label on your processor has been tampered with,
it is difficult to verify exactly which processor you've got
(as the bridges on the processor can be modified). But making
a 3000+ appear to be a 3200+, makes little economic sense, so
I doubt this was done by someone in the business of making
counterfeit processors. A more popular hack, is passing off a
2500+ as a 3200+, where the multiplier is already 11x, and there
isn't anything that needs to be done to the bridges. That
was a much more popular counterfeit.

Paul

Pentium 4 vs. Athlon XP vs. Athlon 64's MarkW General 2 October 10th 06 12:11 PM
help re 3200 athlon cpu PBS General 8 July 24th 04 12:54 PM
AMD 64 Athlon 3200 +/Motu sound card News Group AMD x86-64 Processors 8 July 1st 04 08:51 AM
Slowest Athlon 64 humbles fastest P4 in gaming Tone-EQ Overclocking AMD Processors 1 December 15th 03 04:09 PM
AMD Athlon 64FX first impressions Chris General 14 September 29th 03 02:22 PM