epson Photo 950 and ssc service utility

Old February 5th 04, 11:38 PM
andyhumphriss

Default epson Photo 950 and ssc service utility

I have really cocked up my dad's expensive printer!

I d'loaded the SSC service utility and attempted to reset the ink counter -
it didn't work and now the print is all wrong - too much magenta.
I have done the stand alone test to no avail. He is going to kill me if i
can't get this fixed so please help!

Andy

Old February 8th 04, 02:18 AM
Kennedy McEwen

In article , Joel
writes
So, it's useless if you don't refill your ink, and it doesn't do anything
to the printer but to fool the printer that the ink is FULL. So, it sounds
like you just need new ink cartridge, and if you don't refill then you DO
NOT need SSC.

Not strictly true. The SSC utility does a lot more than just reset the
ink counter. It resets the waste pad counters too. Even without
refilling, there is a lot of ink that can still be obtained from the
cartridge just by resetting the chip. I use it all the time and have
never refilled a cartridge.

However, it is unlikely that this utility has done anything irreversible
to Andy's dad's printer. Best advice is tell him what you've done, take
the caning and LEARN - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
--
Kennedy
Old February 8th 04, 07:52 PM
Kennedy McEwen

In article , Joel
writes

But that isn't the main brain of what SSC is for.

Isn't it? Are you the author? Despite attempting to conceal your
identity, your ISP (Cox) isn't even on the same continent as the author!
Maybe you have just emigrated. Maybe you're not the author at all,
just it's main user? Unlikely. In short, you appear to be assuming far
more knowledge of the purpose of the SSC facility than you are capable
of demonstrating. I suggest you RTFM before telling us what its main
purpose is (or even what *you* think it is)!

If one of the ink color
is emptied and fool the printer by telling it that the ink is full to keep
on printing, then you will have a big chance to damage the printer.

Doh! Where exactly did I suggest that you use this of one of the inks
is empty?

On average, ALL of the inks have *at least* 25% capacity remaining in
the cartridge when they first read empty. The SSC utility permits you
to USE that ink - and that is one application that it is used for.
Nothing whatsoever to do with refilling and, if the users on the Epson
mailing list are considered representative, a much more common usage
than refilling.

Similarly, the advanced cleaning options it provides have nothing to do
with refilling either. Nor does the resetting of internal counters that
stop the printer operating until it has been serviced by an Epson agent.
No, the SSC utility is useful to far more Epson printer users than those
who refill ink cartridges.

And what you do mean "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" when the thing
doesn't work (broke yet?),

That's the lesson he should learn - it wasn't broke, but having
interfered with it to fix something that wasn't broke he should own up
and take the consequences!
--
Kennedy
Old February 9th 04, 06:15 PM
Kennedy McEwen

In article , Joel
writes

Doh! Where exactly did I suggest that you use this of one of the inks
is empty?

Did I say you suggested that?

No, you suggested it, you did not specifically say it, however in the
context you said it there was little other need for it to be said other
than what you had assumed.

What should he learn? what wasn't broke? and can he go ahead to fix it
now? and what to fix?

If you have to ask that then I really suggest you read the original post
again - specifically the last 3 sentences, which explain what was broke,
when it wasn't, what caused it to break and what the consequences of
breaking it were likely to be.

"Das machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy
schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren musten keepen das cotten-pickenen hands in das
pockets - relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichts!"
--
Kennedy
Old February 11th 04, 08:44 PM
Kennedy McEwen

In article , Joel
writes
Kennedy McEwen wrote:

In article , Joel
writes

Doh! Where exactly did I suggest that you use this of one of the inks
is empty?

Did I say you suggested that?

No, you suggested it, you did not specifically say it, however in the
context you said it there was little other need for it to be said other
than what you had assumed.

You said this "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", didn't you?

You really have lost the thread here haven't you. What the heck has
this got to do with that comment?

What should he learn? what wasn't broke? and can he go ahead
to fix it
now? and what to fix?

If you have to ask that then I really suggest you read the original post
again - specifically the last 3 sentences, which explain what was broke,
when it wasn't, what caused it to break and what the consequences of
breaking it were likely to be.

OK, lets assume it's broken (even it may not)

Why? As I made clear in my original post, it is very unlikely.

then do you know if the
Printer, the Ink Cartridge, or the SSC etc. is broken?

Probably - there was insufficient fact in the original query to be
absolutely certain though.

which need to be
fixed? and any idea how to fix it?

Yes - I suggest you Google for some references if you doubt that!

What would you say to people like Epson techs or ten of thousands or
hundreds of thousands of Epson users tell you "the cartridge ain't broke,
don't try to fix it with SSC"?

Joel, try reading the damned text as written! You will find that it is
one hell of a lot simpler than the morass that you are making out of it.
What I would say or do in your hypothetical, extremely improbable
situation is totally irrelevant. Thousands, perhaps millions, use the
SSC utility successfully. Few find any problems, and the bug report
facility is there for those that do. So far your "tens of thousands or
hundreds of thousands of Epson users" amounts to just one - you! Epson
techs will tell you anything that is in Epson's interest.
--
Kennedy
Old February 12th 04, 06:55 PM
Kennedy McEwen

In article , Joel
writes

Well, I just want to learn from (you) the expert about "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it" so I know when to fix and when not to fix.

Look smart ass, was Andy's dad's printer broken before he started
dabbling with stuff he didn't understand?
Answer: NO!

Was it working after he dabbled?
Answer: No!

Should he have dabbled?
Answer: No!

Is Andy's dad's printer really broke?
Answer: No! However, as far as he is concerned it *IS* broke -
otherwise he wouldn't have screamed for help to fix it.

Lesson 1 - If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Lesson 2 - Don't dabble with what ain't yours to dabble with.
Lesson 3 - Take the consequences of not learning either or both of the
above lessons.

Am I gonna tell him how to fix it?
Answer: No!

Why?
Answer: Because if I do he will never learn lessons 1-3!

Do you understand that?
Answer: Unlikely but, having lost patience with your stupidity, I no
longer care.

Never, in all the years of writing on Usenet, have I ever encountered
anyone so incapable of understanding plain English as you! Usually I
enjoy explaining things to folk who don't understand them and have an
interest in learning. However that assumes they have an understanding
of the basic syntax of the English language and a modicum of common
sense. You have the dubious honour of being the first to gain admission
to my kill file on the grounds of failing both of these criteria and my
patience. Plonk!
--
Kennedy