No IDE at all showing. (P5Q PRO TUBRO)

Old August 1st 09, 04:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Albert

Default No IDE at all showing. (P5Q PRO TUBRO)

Hi all,
I am putting together a new rig based on P5Q PRO TUBRO GREEN
motherboard.
I have installed a IDE optical drive. When I boot to the bios and go
into the "Boot" menu CD device is recognized. But when I go into the
"Main" menu it shows and identifies the single SATA hard drive but
does not show any IDE at all. The only thing it shows are the SATA
drives number one with the hard drive and 2, 3, 4 and 5 as disabled.
No IDE at all! According to the pictures in the users guide he gives
the following menu;

Primary IDE Master
Primary IDE Slave
SATA 1
SATA 2
SATA 3
SATA 4
SATA_E1

When I put the Windows XP disk in and start the computer it will
identify the optical drive and instruct "press any key to continue"
and when I do I am instructed to install a proper medium or something
like that.
I also put Western Digital's "Data Lifeguard Tools" and it is
recognized but essentially it says that there are no drivers for the
CD optical drive.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Albert

Albert
Old August 1st 09, 04:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bob Knowlden[_4_]

At a guess, you may need to install drivers for the JMicron JMB361
controller. It's a third-party controller; the P45 chipset has no built-in
IDE controller.

Old August 1st 09, 05:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Albert

On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 11:53:00 -0400, "Bob Knowlden"
wrote:

At a guess, you may need to install drivers for the JMicron JMB361
controller. It's a third-party controller; the P45 chipset has no built-in
IDE controller.

Snipped

Bob, you are guess is probably much better than mine. I have just
posted this question to Asus's tech support but they won't be open for
business until Monday morning.

I'll be 75 in December (speaking positively) so instead of growing up
with this new technology I guess I'm growing old with it :-), so if my
questions seem childish I guess maybe I'm going through my second or
third childhood. I will only ask the question because I honestly don't
know.

Having said that, if I updated the bios would that update the drivers
for the motherboard's P45 chipset?

It would probably be best if I let Asus figure out the problem.

I thank you anyway,

Albert
Old August 1st 09, 06:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
neorg

Albert wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:

[...]

I suggest you buy a sata optical drive, they are inexpensive.

Old August 1st 09, 07:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Albert

On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 19:05:51 +0200, neorg
wrote:

I suggest you buy a sata optical drive, they are inexpensive.

That's probably what I'll wind up doing regardless of the outcome with
tech support because the two optical drives I have are pretty old any
way.
Thanks

Albert
Old August 1st 09, 08:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Andy

On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 09:03:51 -0600, Albert
wrote:

[...]

If you want to see an IDE drive on the main bios setup page, connect a
hard drive to the IDE connector. If you are able to boot from an IDE
optical drive, that's all that matters.
Old August 1st 09, 09:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Albert wrote:
[...]

The BIOS separates the hardware devices into individual modules.

ICH10R JMB361
\ ESATA |
SIL5723 on +-- Slave
| | back |
+-- Master
|-- 7 SATA ports --

For example, the Southbridge ports are displayed in the main BIOS
screen for storage devices. The SIL5723, being a stealth device,
looks like a single drive on the sixth port, so the inner workings
of the SIL5723 may not be shown in the main storage screen. The
SIL5723 is controlled by a single BIOS setting for "Drive Xpert Mode",
which is how you change the operating mode of the E1 and E2 SATA
ports. If a pair of RAID drives are connected to the SIL5723, they'd
show as a single "generic" device on the sixth port of the ICH10R
Southbridge.

The JMicron JMB361, is "outside" the Southbridge. A separate code
module is provided to run it. For example, I can extract that
module from the BIOS, and the identity string shows
"v1.06.79 JMicron Technology Corp" for the add-in module.

If you were to pick up a PCI storage card, like a Promise controller
or a RAID controller, they have a BIOS flash chip on board. During
POST, the BIOS loads any add-on BIOS code found in chips like that.

In the case of the JMB361, that code is inside the moitherboard BIOS flash
chip. The BIOS flash chip is like a miniature file system, and has a whole
bunch of modules in it. Support for the JMicron is just one of those
code modules.

What should happen, is the "v1.06.79 JMicron Technology Corp" should be
loaded, and an Extended INT 0x13 routine is part of that. INT 0x13
is code that tells the main BIOS, how it can read sectors off devices
on the JMicron controller. Such a code module has to load, for a device
to be bootable.

The JMicron controller has a SATA port (connected as ESATA on the back
of the computer) and a PATA (ribbon cable IDE) port. The code should
be able to access either of those.

If I look in that add-on code module, I can see text strings such as
"Press control-J to enter RAID BIOS". That is part of the visible
interface of the add-on code module. (The code module for the
Intel Southbridge, uses control-I for the same purpose, as long
as the Southbridge is set to RAID mode.)

The add-on code can make itself visible at two points. During the
discovery phase of the POST, the JMicron code can print on the
screen, what devices it has found, whether they be a separate
storage device or a RAID array or whatever. In total, you might see a half
dozen lines of text, printed by that module.

If the control-J thing actually worked, pressing that key sequence
in the BIOS, should cause a separate setup screen for JMicron RAID.
That displays connected devices. But it would not normally be
displayed, because it is triggered by a keypress sequence. I don't
see it documented in the manual, and I'm just going by the text
string I see in the code module. This function may be triggered
by the type of JMicron chip present, and perhaps finding a
JMB361 instead of a JMB363, prevents it from being usable.

*******

So based on a cursory check, I don't see anything wrong with the
board. There are ingredients in place to make it work.

Some BIOS have an "INT Capture" option in the BIOS, and if
that is disabled, that can cause a device like the JMicron to be
ignored. I don't see that option in the BIOS, so the JMicron
code should be loaded.

I'd be checking jumpers on the optical drive. I would jumper the
optical drive as Master and place it on the end connector of the
provided ribbon cable. My preference is for 80 wire cables for
IDE ports, and if one of those is present, at least an IDE
hard drive can use faster UDMA modes. For the optical drive,
it probably doesn't make that much difference.

If you're bored, try pressing ctrlJ while in the BIOS, and
see if the JMicron setup screen appears. You don't need to do
anything in there -- you can immediately exit that screen
if you wish. The purpose of testing, is to make sure the
JMicron code is loadable. If the setup works, that would be
further proof that support for the chip is present and working.

2) Press control-J when the BIOS starts up and see what happens.
3) Look for messages, like the half dozen lines of text, from
the JMicron, during the BIOS POST sequence. That may also
be proof the code module is looking for drives present.

HTH,
Paul
Old August 1st 09, 09:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Albert

wrote:

[...]

Andy,

When I put In Data Lifeguard Tools CD in the DVD/CD drive it opens but
it tells me that the DVD/CD drive does not have the proper drivers. So
it is being "seen"in the boot sequence although it's listed as a
removable drive. As far as adding an IDE hard drive reconfiguration
of the chassis is such that the hard drive bay is too far away and at
90° to connect the ribbon. There is only one ID connection on the
motherboard.

One other thing, I only have one monitor and one keyboard so
consequently I have to unhook the computer I'm on now and hook up the
new rig when I need to try the new rig. (Big hassle)
Why is it that they say retired people are on "a fixed income" and I'm
always broke :-)?
I am kicking back for the rest of the weekend and get back after it
Monday morning.
Albert

Albert
Old August 1st 09, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Albert

On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 16:33:06 -0400, Paul wrote:

> [...]

provided ribbon cable. My preference is for 80 wire cables for
IDE ports, and if one of those is present, at least an IDE
hard drive can use faster UDMA modes. For the optical drive,
it probably doesn't make that much difference.

If you're bored, try pressing ctrlJ while in the BIOS, and
see if the JMicron setup screen appears. You don't need to do
anything in there -- you can immediately exit that screen
if you wish. The purpose of testing, is to make sure the
JMicron code is loadable. If the setup works, that would be
further proof that support for the chip is present and working.

2) Press control-J when the BIOS starts up and see what happens.
3) Look for messages, like the half dozen lines of text, from
the JMicron, during the BIOS POST sequence. That may also
be proof the code module is looking for drives present.

Paul,

Like I told Andy I'm shutting it down and kicking back for the rest of
the weekend (if SHMBO doesn't have other things planned for me :-)). I
have printed off your post and will study up on it when I can.
Thank you,

Albert
Old August 1st 09, 10:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Michael W. Ryder

Bob Knowlden wrote:
At a guess, you may need to install drivers for the JMicron JMB361
controller. It's a third-party controller; the P45 chipset has no
built-in IDE controller.

If the board is the same as the P5Q Turbo you do Not need to use any
drivers to use the CD drive on the IDE cable.

"Albert" wrote in message
[...]

I should have 2gb Ram but only showing 1gb!!! a900ss Homebuilt PC's 3 January 25th 06 02:16 AM
New HD isn't showing Monica Dell Computers 35 August 15th 05 03:55 PM
P4 2.4 showing 1.2 GHz! Clark Intel 2 July 31st 05 02:07 AM
CD/rom and DvD rom not showing up tina9900 General 8 May 24th 05 03:59 AM
Ram not showing up Cleave Asus Motherboards 0 April 6th 04 09:33 PM