HD4870X2 woes

Old March 30th 09, 08:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Carl

Default HD4870X2 woes

Hello,

recently I have been getting lots of BSOD in Vista 64. When I reboot, I have
graphic corruption on the BIOS boot screen, and two thick vertical bands
running down the monitor. The last occurred when I tried to run World In
Conflict. Other times the PC runs fine. I suspect overheating, but I also
wonder if the card may be damaged in some way? Windows error reports blame
the ATi driver (Cat 9.3 on a clean install). My system: Q9650@ 3.6, 8GB DDR2
800, Asus Maximus Formula, Asus Xonar D2X, all most recent drivers and bios.
Any suggestions welcomed.

Old March 30th 09, 07:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
rms[_2_]

My system: Q9650@ 3.6, 8GB DDR2 800, Asus Maximus Formula, Asus Xonar D2X,
all most recent drivers and bios. Any suggestions welcomed.

Do you have a quality powersupply.

rms

Old March 31st 09, 08:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Carl

Yep, 1200w Toughpower.
Old March 31st 09, 07:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Michael W. Ryder

Carl wrote:
Hello,

recently I have been getting lots of BSOD in Vista 64. When I reboot, I
have graphic corruption on the BIOS boot screen, and two thick vertical
bands running down the monitor. The last occurred when I tried to run
World In Conflict. Other times the PC runs fine. I suspect overheating,
but I also wonder if the card may be damaged in some way? Windows error
reports blame the ATi driver (Cat 9.3 on a clean install). My system:
Q9650@ 3.6, 8GB DDR2 800, Asus Maximus Formula, Asus Xonar D2X, all most
recent drivers and bios. Any suggestions welcomed.

It could be a failing card. When I got my 3870 it worked fine for
awhile until after a long session of Assassin's Creed. From then on I
had magenta worms all over the screen even at idle. I think in that
case the card overheated because of the default fan settings. A
replacement card with changed settings fixed the problems.
Old April 1st 09, 08:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Carl

It could be a failing card. When I got my 3870 it worked fine for
awhile until after a long session of Assassin's Creed. From then on I
had magenta worms all over the screen even at idle. I think in that
case the card overheated because of the default fan settings. A
replacement card with changed settings fixed the problems.

I was thinking along those lines, when I first got the card, it ran far
cooler than it does now. DoW2 on full settings is my number one culprit at
the moment.

Old April 1st 09, 03:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Charles Wilson

"Carl" wrote in message
news
It could be a failing card. When I got my 3870 it worked fine for
awhile until after a long session of Assassin's Creed. From then on I
had magenta worms all over the screen even at idle. I think in that
case the card overheated because of the default fan settings. A
replacement card with changed settings fixed the problems.

I was thinking along those lines, when I first got the card, it ran far
cooler than it does now. DoW2 on full settings is my number one culprit at
the moment.

signature database 3980 (20090401) __________

http://www.eset.com

I have an VisionTek 3870 in my system with a passive cooling system that has
worked very well at keeping the card cool. I removed the fan because I felt
that it had a slight ticking sound. The card is slightly overclocked and
idles at 33c. It never seems to go over 40c. I may not play the latest
games, but Oblivion and FarCry play without any problems. Its worked well
since I bought it and I update the drivers every month. Just my experience
for you to consider.

quad 6600 cpu (slightly overclocked)
680 watt psu
Antec 1200 case (all fans on low)
4 gigs mem
300 and 320 Gb SATA drives
IP35 Pro MB

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 3980 (20090401) __________

http://www.eset.com

M60 and SP2 woes. Its Only Me Again Dell Computers 7 March 7th 05 07:24 PM
DVD woes LadySpudz General 7 August 29th 04 10:02 AM
HP T65 woes Bob Printers 6 August 3rd 04 11:03 PM
HDD Woes Sonny Storage (alternative) 4 June 30th 04 09:00 PM
XP woes Copo Homebuilt PC's 2 August 23rd 03 04:50 PM