Ping: Paul

Old April 30th 12, 03:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Buffalo[_2_]

Default Ping: Paul

From my post "GeForce 7600GT AGP on Win2000ProSP4" I just realized that if
I didn't have Halo installed, I wouldn't be able to keep my 7600gt AGP card
able to play Q3 or view videos in full screen.
Damn, their must be a better solution. I just reinsatlled my AGP ECS mb
drivers. I used the latest ones from ECS (my mb is an ECS K7s5a rev3.1 with
a HoneyX Bios.
I don't have the HDD to install an XP system into to test out your ideas. I
still use a dual 98se-2kSP4 system with an Athlon Mobile 2400+ (266MHz fsb)
with 1 GB of ram.
My Desktop resolutiob is at 1440x900 with a refresh of 75MHz with a Planar
PX2710MW LCD monitor. Even if I set my Halo game vid setting the same, I
still have the same problem.
Amy other ideas on how I can get my video display to work properly without
having to start Halo after the video changes shortly after bootup. Once
changed, it seems to stay that way for the rest of the session, even after
12 hrs.

Thanks again,
Buffalo

Old April 30th 12, 03:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Buffalo[_2_]

Default Paul

Buffalo wrote:
From my post "GeForce 7600GT AGP on Win2000ProSP4" I just realized
that if I didn't have Halo installed, I wouldn't be able to keep my
[...]

One addition, when I was using the previous vid card ATI Radeon 8500LE, I
did not experience the problem I do now. (the new card gives me much better
fps in my games).
Also, when I try to uninstall the vid drivers and then reboot, the screen is
very corrupted and tears whenever I move the mouse pointer. It is very
difficult to make out what is on the screen. The same exact thing happens in
Safe Mode, even without uninstalling the vid drivers first.
Buffalo
PS: It seems that my PC does not load the PCI Standard VGA (if any at all)
default drivers. I cannot even find the .inf for that default driver.

Old April 30th 12, 05:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
From my post "GeForce 7600GT AGP on Win2000ProSP4" I just realized
[...]

I would start by changing the refresh from 75Hz back to 60Hz. That's
half your problem right there.

LCDs do not behave the same as CRTs. On a CRT, we used to raise refresh,
to reduce flicker. It's less of an issue with LCDs. Some LCDs actually
throw away 1 in N frames when you raise the refresh too high.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mon...ameters_3.html

On the two LCDs I have here, I run them at 60Hz.

Paul

Old April 30th 12, 03:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Buffalo[_2_]

Paul wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
From my post "GeForce 7600GT AGP on Win2000ProSP4" I just realized
[...]

Thanks, I will lower the refresh rate to 60. The refresh rate for my LCD
monitor is rated for 75Hz at the resolutions I use, but I will try the lower
60 rate.
Buffalo
PS:When I go to Safe Mode or after I uninstall the drivers and reboot, the
refresh rate goes to 60Hz and the display is 640x480 and the display is
corrupted and partial and tears when I move the mouse pointer. I have two of
the 7600GT agp 256MB cards and both act the same way.

Old April 30th 12, 05:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Buffalo wrote:
Paul wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
From my post "GeForce 7600GT AGP on Win2000ProSP4" I just realized
[...]

You should have a look around the Nvidia forums, and see if there is a
recommendation for a driver version. This thread is old, but they recommend 94.24.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=45256

Also, with an old OS, you need to find out what the last driver was for the
OS, to understand how much further than that you can go. And as luck would have
it, that looks to be 94.24 as well.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_94.24_2.html

Uninstall the previous driver, and try that one. It's also possible
you're already using that (because it would pop up from the Nvidia
driver download page).

I'll have to reboot, so I can go back and check what I'm using in Win2K
for my card...

Paul
Old April 30th 12, 06:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Paul wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Paul wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
From my post "GeForce 7600GT AGP on Win2000ProSP4" I just realized
[...]

It looks like for some reason, I'm using 175.19 for my 7900GT card on Win2K SP4.
I don't know how I arrived at choosing that one. It seems to work.

What's interesting (and scary), is I found one hit in a forum, suggesting
175.19 is a driver that causes the fan to stop spinning. Well, that can't
affect my 7900 GT, because I bypassed the fan header. My video card fan
runs from a separate power source, and, at a fixed speed. I did that,
because the spinup to 100% fan speed in Linux, was annoying me, and I
had to do *something* about it (the bog-standard Linux driver, doesn't
have fan speed control - you need a tainted driver for that). So I decided
to bypass the control and just power the fan from a separate (voltage limited)
source. I adjusted the voltage, until I got the same cooling effort as while
in Windows and gaming. So when I play my favorite 3D game in Windows, the
fan speed I selected, is just right for cooling the card. (Card runs at
the same temp as it did, before I butchered the cabling.)

So if you were to try 175.19, do a check first and see if it's one of
those driver releases that stops the fan from spinning.

Paul
Old May 5th 12, 07:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Buffalo[_2_]

Paul wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
From my post "GeForce 7600GT AGP on Win2000ProSP4" I just realized
[...]

Just to give you more info, I can reset the card by launching Halo but not
by launching Q2 or Q3Arena. It will also reset if I run Half-Life Episode 1
(have to go through Steam).
I use the same resolution in those games and the same refresh rate. Once the
card is 'reset' it usually will stay that way until I reboot.
Buffalo

Old May 5th 12, 07:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Buffalo[_2_]

Buffalo wrote:
Paul wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
From my post "GeForce 7600GT AGP on Win2000ProSP4" I just realized

Doom 3 doesn't do it either/
Buffalo

Old May 5th 12, 07:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Paul wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
From my post "GeForce 7600GT AGP on Win2000ProSP4" I just realized
[...]

Aren't some of the ID software titles based on OpenGL ?

Perhaps the ones that reset your card, are DirectX titles ?
And so the issue might be slightly DirectX related.

Paul
Old May 5th 12, 10:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Buffalo[_2_]

Paul wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Paul wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
From my post "GeForce 7600GT AGP on Win2000ProSP4" I just
realized that if I didn't have Halo installed, I wouldn't be
[...]

Thanks, good thought.
Buffalo
PS: Have a fun weekend and don't forget about the Super Moon tonight!!! (ie:
closest to Eartha and full to bring you the brightest moon of 2012 : 14%
larger and 30% brighter)

Ping: Paul sdlomi2 Homebuilt PC's 3 April 28th 08 01:42 AM
PING: paul sdlomi2[_2_] Asus Motherboards 2 October 3rd 07 11:22 AM
Ping Paul reqluq Asus Motherboards 2 October 8th 05 06:23 AM
PING: Paul Paul Asus Motherboards 0 October 13th 04 11:51 PM
PING: Paul...Thanks Paul Asus Motherboards 0 September 3rd 04 09:52 PM