ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP (512 MB)

Old June 2nd 09, 10:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Default ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP (512 MB)

What is the latest WHQL certified driver for the subject card? I tried the
9.4 and 9.5 but they didn't recognize the card. I tried the hotfix Catalyst
driver and it did work, but not WHQL certified. I'm having a problem
getting Cyberlink's PowerDVD and the 3850 to work together. Whenever I try
to play a DVD, any DVD, the screen goes off and on to black, then black and
the program freezes. The hotfix driver works with all other programs,i.e.;
ATI Catalyst Media Center and Windows Media Player. The Cyberlink techs
goes, aha!, your driver is not WHQL certified, and you have a Roxio product
installed, which may not be compatible with PowerDVD,...uninstall it. It's
like they want you to tear your system apart to try and get their product to
work! When I put my ATI HD 2600 Pro AGP card back in, everything thing
works, including PowerDVD.
Sorry for the rant,...what was the question again? Oh yea, "what is the
latest WHQL certified driver for the subject card?".
Thanks for any help

JB

Old June 3rd 09, 01:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

"JB" wrote in message
What is the latest WHQL certified driver for the subject card? I tried
the 9.4 and 9.5 but they didn't recognize the card. I tried the hotfix
Catalyst driver and it did work, but not WHQL certified.

Don't think there is one, actually. In any case, WHQL certified = Microsoft
certified. Microsoft is hardly an authority for producing stable, bug-free
software, so WHQL certification doesn't mean jack.

I'm having a problem getting Cyberlink's PowerDVD and the 3850 to work
together. Whenever I try to play a DVD, any DVD, the screen goes off and
on to black, then black and the program freezes. The hotfix driver works
with all other programs,i.e.; ATI Catalyst Media Center and Windows Media
Player. The Cyberlink techs goes, aha!, your driver is not WHQL
certified, and you have a Roxio product installed, which may not be
compatible with PowerDVD,...uninstall it. It's like they want you to tear
your system apart to try and get their product to work!

The simplest solution is to stop using PowerDVD. :-) Especially when there
are easier-to-use and more powerful programs out there, like the free Media
Player Classic.

Old June 3rd 09, 03:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William

"First of One" wrote in message
"JB" wrote in message
[...]

I have been using VLC Media Player for a year now. I got tired of the red
on white interface of Nero 9 products. It's a good player, plays everything
I have thrown at it, has multiple interfaces to choose from, and it is
skinable. It's free. Try it at: www.videolan.org

William