Ping: Paul

Old April 26th 08, 03:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
sdlomi2

Default Ping: Paul

Hey Paul, what's your idea of using this docker instead of enclosures? Thx
in advance, sdlomi2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...king%2bstation

Old April 26th 08, 03:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Anna

Default Paul

"sdlomi2" wrote in message
. ..
Hey Paul, what's your idea of using this docker instead of enclosures?
Thx in advance, sdlomi2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...king%2bstation

sdlomi2:
While you're awaiting Paul's response to your query...

It's a neat device in that it can handle both 2 1/2" as well as 3 1/2" SATA
hard drives.

But...

You have noted that this is essentially a USB device, have you not? It does
*not* provide SATA-to-SATA connectivity. Now if all you're interested in is
a USB connection using a SATA HDD, fine. But I would seriously consider an
external enclosure that provides *both* the USB interface as well as
SATA-to-SATA connectivity (usually through an eSATA port). Those devices are
quite common and relatively inexpensive and of course, provide a great deal
more flexibility than merely an enclosure that provides only USB
connectivity. I've never come across one of the latter devices that
accommodates both 2 1/2" & 3 1/2" disks in the same unit but it wouldn't
surprise me if they're available.
Anna

Old April 26th 08, 07:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

sdlomi2 wrote:
Hey Paul, what's your idea of using this docker instead of enclosures? Thx
in advance, sdlomi2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...king%2bstation

It is the equivalent of a SATA to USB adapter cable, with wall wart power source.
And a plastic box to hold the drive. At least it protects the drive, instead
of leaving the raw drive sitting on the table. Didn't hear mention of a
cooling fan.

I'm surprised the review descriptions are so positive. Only spotted one DOA
in the list, and no complaints about capacity related issues (like not working
with a 1TB drive). Only time will tell I guess.

Paul

Old April 28th 08, 01:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
sdlomi2

"Paul" wrote in message ...
sdlomi2 wrote:
Hey Paul, what's your idea of using this docker instead of enclosures?
Thx in advance, sdlomi2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...king%2bstation

It is the equivalent of a SATA to USB adapter cable, with wall wart power
source.
And a plastic box to hold the drive. At least it protects the drive,
instead
of leaving the raw drive sitting on the table. Didn't hear mention of a
cooling fan.

I'm surprised the review descriptions are so positive. Only spotted one
DOA
in the list, and no complaints about capacity related issues (like not
working
with a 1TB drive). Only time will tell I guess.

Paul

Thx to you and Anna, Paul. First I'd seen. s

O.T. : Thanks Paul Robert Blass Homebuilt PC's 1 March 2nd 08 01:17 AM
PING: paul sdlomi2[_2_] Asus Motherboards 2 October 3rd 07 11:22 AM
Ping Paul reqluq Asus Motherboards 2 October 8th 05 06:23 AM
PING: Paul Paul Asus Motherboards 0 October 13th 04 11:51 PM
PING: Paul...Thanks Paul Asus Motherboards 0 September 3rd 04 09:52 PM