Inspiron 1150 display dim/dark Backlight? Display? Inverter?

Old August 6th 06, 09:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Danny

Default Inspiron 1150 display dim/dark Backlight? Display? Inverter?

My niece's laptop computer, a Dell Inspiron 1150, no longer has a
bright display. She says she can barely see the screen, after
initially seeing the Dell logo clearly with a new reddish pink hue to
it when the computer first boots. The pinkish hue goes away quickly
though and she's left with a darkened desktop on her display.

I've got her going again(long distance by phone) with an external
monitor(using the Fn-F8 key combo), but am trying to get a grip on
prices of new parts. Since she can make out her desktop, start button,
task bar, etc, dimly, I'm guessing the LCD portion is okay. It sounds
as though the backlight bulb(CCFL) has gone(is going) bad or is not
getting proper voltage from the FL inverter.

I've read about a simple troubleshooting step that includes tapping on
the powersaving "lid closed switch" that turns off the backlight when
the lid is closed and the laptop is powered up. I read someone reply
that their Inspiron did not have such a switch. Not being able to lay
my hands on my niece's laptop at 150 mile remove, I'm not certain if
hers has a switch either. The owner's manual mentions a display closed
latch and I was wondering if this also serves as a "lid closed switch"
for power saving purposes. If anyone out there has an Inspiron 1150,
can you tell if your display goes dark when you close the lid. Thanks.

Anyway, if anyone has bought a new LCD panel, FL inverter, or CCFL
lamp(backlight) for an Inspiron 1150, I'd like to know the cost.

Thanks in advance for any prices/advice.

Danny

Old August 6th 06, 09:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Notan

Danny wrote:

[...]

Not a clue, but you might want to also post over in alt.sys.laptops.

Quite a few of the regulars do frequent laptop repairs.

Notan
Old August 7th 06, 01:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Kevin M

"Danny" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The backlight is going. I would try and find one used.

Old August 7th 06, 04:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dan

Have you been running the A/C a lot lately in the house? I'm making
an observation about power fluctuations and Dell LCD issues.

Look above in the threads for "My display suddenly went completely
dark". This is incident #4 I've heard about

BTW, replacing the LCD might not fix the problem.

Dan