Remote power-up of Epson WF-4630 printer?

Old November 9th 17, 10:52 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Percival P. Cassidy

Default Remote power-up of Epson WF-4630 printer?

Is there any way of remotely powering-up an Epson WF-4630 printer? Even
if plugged into a "live" power outlet, it seems there is no way for it
to become ready for action without someone actually pressing the power
button on the front; is that really the case, or is there some way of
sending it a "wake up" signal over the network?

Perce
Old November 11th 17, 07:03 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Fred McKenzie

In article ,
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

Is there any way of remotely powering-up an Epson WF-4630 printer? Even
if plugged into a "live" power outlet, it seems there is no way for it
to become ready for action without someone actually pressing the power
button on the front; is that really the case, or is there some way of
sending it a "wake up" signal over the network?

Perce-

If there is a way to do what you are asking, it is probably covered in
the owner's manual. But the obvious answer is to just leave the printer
turned on all the time.

I have a combination inkjet printer and scanner, as well as a Laser
printer accessible via WiFi. They are left on all the time, which is
handy when I have company that wants to print.

Fred
Old November 12th 17, 11:19 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Percival P. Cassidy

On 11/11/2017 01:03 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

Is there any way of remotely powering-up an Epson WF-4630 printer? Even
if plugged into a "live" power outlet, it seems there is no way for it
to become ready for action without someone actually pressing the power
button on the front; is that really the case, or is there some way of
sending it a "wake up" signal over the network?

If there is a way to do what you are asking, it is probably covered in
the owner's manual. But the obvious answer is to just leave the printer
turned on all the time.

I have a combination inkjet printer and scanner, as well as a Laser
printer accessible via WiFi. They are left on all the time, which is
handy when I have company that wants to print.

I certainly haven't found anything in the owner's manual, which is why I
was asking here.

It's so seldom that I need to print anything on that printer -- which is
located in a different room from the laser printer that we use most of
the time, and which is now powered via a WiFi-controlled outlet, so
other people can turn it on when they want to print, rather than having
to leave their desk twice, once to turn the printer on and once to
collect their printouts -- that I was hoping to avoid having it switched
on the whole time and using power unnecessarily.

Perce
Old November 13th 17, 02:34 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
GSalisbury[_4_]

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

[...]

First I don't have (never have had) any kind of an Epson Printer but, out of
curiosity, I put Epson WF-4630 into a google search and followed an
epson.com hit.
It's too long - I didn't bother copying it and don't have a "make short".
The User Manual there sure has what seems to me to have a number of power
control options including wi-fi - the implication is, after appropriate
setup, sending something to the printer can turn it on and off as needed.
Have you googled? (You never said whether you did or didn't.)
At this juncture I would consider auto-power-on a standard feature that
virtually all ordinary printers/MFU's would support.
I have (and had) older Canon inkjets that support auto power-on/off.
The epson site is probably your best resource (said something about a
firmware update as well).
Geo. Salisbury
Long Valley, NJ

Old November 14th 17, 05:33 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Percival P. Cassidy

On 11/13/2017 08:34 AM, GSalisbury wrote:

Is there any way of remotely powering-up an Epson WF-4630 printer? Even
if plugged into a "live" power outlet, it seems there is no way for it
to become ready for action without someone actually pressing the power
button on the front; is that really the case, or is there some way of
sending it a "wake up" signal over the network?

If there is a way to do what you are asking, it is probably covered in
the owner's manual.Â* But the obvious answer is to just leave the printer
turned on all the time.

I have a combination inkjet printer and scanner, as well as a Laser
printer accessible via WiFi.Â* They are left on all the time, which is
[...]

Yes, I had searched on line for any relevant information, and I had
searched the electronic version of the manual. There are many options
for setting delays before the printer goes to sleep or powers off, but I
see nothing about being able to wake it up from "off."

I guess I just have to decide whether I want it to keep it "asleep"
(1.8W) rather than "off" (0.3W).

Perce
Old November 15th 17, 01:59 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
GSalisbury[_4_]

[...]

=====================================
Not looking to belabor the point but you could, of course, pose the question
on the Epson Site for an "authoritativeg" response.

But in my mind it's still an ordinary enough function that, with the
power-off settings, implies that it will power-on - but of I could be way
off base.
Set the power-off profile that fits yours and leave the printer turned on.
Do something else then print and see what happens.
Geo.

Old November 15th 17, 10:11 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Percival P. Cassidy

On 11/15/2017 07:59 AM, GSalisbury wrote:

[...]

I did just have a chat session with Epson support, and they tell me that
even from "sleep" mode it's impossible to print. So the only benefit of
"sleep" mode, I guess, is that it will "wake up" when the button is
pressed more quickly than when it was off.

Perce
Old November 16th 17, 02:52 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
GSalisbury[_4_]

[...]

=====================
Oh well - we tried.
I have an older Canon Pixma IP3000 Inkjet plugged into a USB Port on the
router and it auto-powers on/off.
Convenient.
I also have an older Brother MFC5460CN AIO plugged into both a USB Port on
my main P/C and an Ethernet Port on the router.
It doesn't do either auto power-on or off.
Both printers are basically within arms reach of "command centralg",
however, so power on/off is implicitly automatic.
Too bad on the Epson.
Geo.