HP LaserJet 2200DN -- dirty mark on second side

Old July 1st 17, 05:54 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Percival P. Cassidy

Default HP LaserJet 2200DN -- dirty mark on second side

If I print in duplex mode, I get a dirty mark across the page on the
second side. It's the same whether I print from the tray or from the
manual feed.

Could this be a cartridge problem? It's a years-old remanufactured
cartridge, but the dirty marks have only just appeared.

Reliable cartridges now seem to be somewhat scarce and expensive. Would
it be more economical in the long run just to buy a new printer with
cheaper cartridges? Brother? Samsung?

Perce
Old July 1st 17, 04:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Fred McKenzie

In article ,
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

If I print in duplex mode, I get a dirty mark across the page on the
second side. It's the same whether I print from the tray or from the
manual feed.

Could this be a cartridge problem? It's a years-old remanufactured
cartridge, but the dirty marks have only just appeared.

Reliable cartridges now seem to be somewhat scarce and expensive. Would
it be more economical in the long run just to buy a new printer with
cheaper cartridges? Brother? Samsung?

Perce-

It sounds like the dirty marks are coming from the mechanism that turns
the page over for duplex printing. Chances are you can clean the
printer and eliminate the problem. But if the dirty mark returns, it
might be caused by toner leaking from a worn-out cartridge.

I have had good luck with both HP and Brother. Not familiar with
Samsung.

NOTE: Smaller cartridges are usually more expensive per page printed.

Fred
Old July 13th 17, 05:08 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Percival P. Cassidy

On 07/01/2017 11:18 AM, Fred McKenzie wrote:

[...]

Sorry, Fred, I only just saw your reply. In the meantime I bought a new
(remanufactured) cartridge, which certainly produces blacker copies but
does not eliminate the smudge, so I think you are right about the
problem being in the duplexer mechanism. Now to figure out how to get at it.

I did look at Brother laser printers but found that the cartridges are
not as cheap as I had imagined.

Perce

Old July 13th 17, 11:15 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Percival P. Cassidy

On 07/13/2017 12:08 PM, I wrote:

[...]

Getting at the roller that is involved in duplex printing seems to
require major disassembly of the printer. Are there laser-printer
cleaning sheets that will work with a duplex printer? I have some sheets
that consist of very thick and stiff paper with some somewhat sticky
bands on one side, but they get jammed if I try duplex printing.

Perce

Old July 14th 17, 01:39 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
On 07/13/2017 12:08 PM, I wrote:

[...]

I am not aware of any cleaning paper of that sort, but as a word of caution be
very careful to not use any coated paper in laser printers unless it is
specifically stated as being suitable for laser printers or photocopiers. To do
so risks damage to the fuser.
Tony

Old July 14th 17, 02:47 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Percival P. Cassidy

On 07/13/2017 08:39 PM, Tony wrote:

[...]

It's the same stuff I used for the LaserJet III (which was not a duplex
printer, of course) many years back, and it claims to be specifically
for laser printers, copiers, and FAX machines.

Let me give a more detailed description of the problem:

Double-sided 8.5" x 14.0" prints have a grayish line the full width of
the page (but not uniform density across the page) on the second side a
couple of inches from the end "outer" end, i.e., the end that entered
the printer last. Double-sided 8.5" x 11.0" prints have the same line,
but a little closer to the end of the page.

As far as I can see the only full-width rollers are the black one that
is visible when the toner cartridge is removed, and a reddish-brown one
that is visible when I open the back to allow paper to collect at the
back -- but then there is no duplex print capability. That latter roller
looks perfectly clean to me but is not easily accessible.

Perce

Old July 14th 17, 05:44 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
[...]

Are the distances from the short edge of the paper always exactly the same or
do they vary?
In other words the distance from the bottom of the page to the marks - are they
always the same?
Tony

Old July 14th 17, 03:57 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Percival P. Cassidy

On 07/14/2017 12:44 AM, Tony wrote:

[...]

Those distances are the same for each print on the given size of paper.

And, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that that second roller
(the reddish-brown one) is involved in pushing the paper out of the back
as well. Yes! Verified by watching the paper come out the back.

Looking at exploded diagrams at printerworks.com, I see that there is --
as is to be expected -- a roller in the fuser assembly, but that is
surely involved in single-sided copies as well, isn't it?

AND I had seen this sometimes with the old toner cartridge, but now with
the new one as well, the print on the second side is sometimes extremely
light, starting from just an inch or so past that gray line.

Perce

Old July 14th 17, 05:38 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Fred McKenzie

In article ,
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

Getting at the roller that is involved in duplex printing seems to
require major disassembly of the printer. Are there laser-printer
cleaning sheets that will work with a duplex printer?

Perce-

You may find the smear fades away as you use the new cartridge. (Also,
some special functions are initiated by holding down the keys when you
turn on power.)

From my 2002 collection, I found a pack of Staples' "12 laser printer
cleaning sheets". A number on the label is "X80016-US". The sheets
appear thin enough to work with a duplex printer.

Looking at staples.com, I find the current product is "17494 Laser
Printer Cleaning Kit", three sheets per kit for $9.99. They also have a
17493 kit that includes foam-tipped swabs and cleaning solution for
$15.29.

The website also mentions PathKleen Printer Cleaning Sheets, 10 for
$14.99.

Your local office supply store may have their own brand. I see that
Office Depot lists theirs, and Walmart lists PathKleen.

Fred
Old July 14th 17, 08:24 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Percival P. Cassidy

On 07/14/2017 12:38 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:

Getting at the roller that is involved in duplex printing seems to
require major disassembly of the printer. Are there laser-printer
cleaning sheets that will work with a duplex printer?

Perce-

You may find the smear fades away as you use the new cartridge. (Also,
some special functions are initiated by holding down the keys when you
turn on power.)

From my 2002 collection, I found a pack of Staples' "12 laser printer
cleaning sheets". A number on the label is "X80016-US". The sheets
appear thin enough to work with a duplex printer.

Looking at staples.com, I find the current product is "17494 Laser
Printer Cleaning Kit", three sheets per kit for $9.99. They also have a
17493 kit that includes foam-tipped swabs and cleaning solution for
$15.29.

The website also mentions PathKleen Printer Cleaning Sheets, 10 for
$14.99.

Your local office supply store may have their own brand. I see that
Office Depot lists theirs, and Walmart lists PathKleen.

PathKleen is what I tried to use -- the ones that jam when I try to use
the duplex function.

Perce