Brother MFC-J475DW - Scanning Software

Old December 30th 13, 04:56 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
DanielleOM

Default Brother MFC-J475DW - Scanning Software

Just going through some initial tests here and I am having trouble with
the scanning software.

With Libreoffice, I go to Insert - Picture - Scan Request and the
Brother scan software starts off OK.

I can do a preview scan OK and view the image, but when I do a real scan
no image appears.

No idea where the scan result goes.

When using the old I had with Libreoffice the image would appear after
scanning.

Any setup changes anyone can suggest? Any one know of other software
that would work with Libreoffice and the Brother printer? My OS is
Windows 8, 64 bit, on a PC.

Danielle
Old December 31st 13, 12:21 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "DanielleOM"

Just going through some initial tests here and I am having trouble with
the scanning software.

With Libreoffice, I go to Insert - Picture - Scan Request and the Brother
scan software starts off OK.

I can do a preview scan OK and view the image, but when I do a real scan
no image appears.

No idea where the scan result goes.

When using the old I had with Libreoffice the image would appear after
scanning.

Any setup changes anyone can suggest? Any one know of other software that
would work with Libreoffice and the Brother printer? My OS is Windows 8,
64 bit, on a PC.

Danielle

I have had trouble with LibreOffice with Ricoh all-in-ones where it could
ONLY scan one page placed in the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) but MS Word
got all pages.

is properly installed. TWAIN software is the middleware that sits between a
software with scan capabilities (TWAIN compliant) and the actual hardware
(USB, Ethernet, etc).

In LibreOffice you would first "select the TWAIN source".
Insert -- Picture -- Scan -- Select source...

Then you can actually use the scanner
Insert -- Picture -- Scan -- Request

It is the TWAIN software, for the scanner in quesion, that actually gives
you the options on HOW to do the scan.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old December 31st 13, 12:52 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Fred McKenzie

In article ,
DanielleOM wrote:

Any one know of other software
that would work with Libreoffice and the Brother printer?

Danielle-

Take a look at VueScan: http://www.hamrick.com/.

It works here with an old Acer scanner, as well as an old Minolta
"Dimage Scan Dual" film scanner which requires a SCSI adapter. See if
yours is supported at
http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#supported.

Fred
Old December 31st 13, 02:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
DanielleOM

From: "DanielleOM"

Just going through some initial tests here and I am having trouble
with the scanning software.

With Libreoffice, I go to Insert - Picture - Scan Request and the
Brother scan software starts off OK.

I can do a preview scan OK and view the image, but when I do a real
scan no image appears.

No idea where the scan result goes.

When using the old I had with Libreoffice the image would appear
after scanning.

Any setup changes anyone can suggest? Any one know of other software
that would work with Libreoffice and the Brother printer? My OS is
Windows 8, 64 bit, on a PC.

Danielle

I have had trouble with LibreOffice with Ricoh all-in-ones where it
could ONLY scan one page placed in the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF)
but MS Word got all pages.

software is properly installed. TWAIN software is the middleware that
sits between a software with scan capabilities (TWAIN compliant) and
the actual hardware (USB, Ethernet, etc).

In LibreOffice you would first "select the TWAIN source".
Insert -- Picture -- Scan -- Select source...

Then you can actually use the scanner
Insert -- Picture -- Scan -- Request

It is the TWAIN software, for the scanner in quesion, that actually
gives you the options on HOW to do the scan.

David

Thanks for the suggestion. Software appears to be installed OK, as the
Twain software does appear in the Select Source menu. From what I see
by looking around on the web others have had problems with TWAIN and
Libreoffice and have resorted to scanning outside of Libreoffice, saving
as a picture, and then importing as a picture. That seems to work and
seems to be a reasonable work around. Used the Brother ControlCenter4
software to scan and create the picture.

Danielle
Old December 31st 13, 02:14 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
DanielleOM

On 12/30/2013 6:52 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
DanielleOM wrote:

Any one know of other software
that would work with Libreoffice and the Brother printer?

Danielle-

Take a look at VueScan: http://www.hamrick.com/.

It works here with an old Acer scanner, as well as an old Minolta
"Dimage Scan Dual" film scanner which requires a SCSI adapter. See if
yours is supported at
http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#supported.

Fred

Hi Fred

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave Vuescan a try but I essentially got a
similar result. Initiating the scan request from Libreoffice causes the
Vuescan software menu to appear but the scanned software does not drop
into the Libreoffice document. As referenced in my earlier reply to
David, I will use a work around where I create the picture first and
then insert the picture into Libreoffice.

Danielle

Old December 31st 13, 02:56 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "DanielleOM"

On 12/30/2013 6:21 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:
From: "DanielleOM"

[...]

Thanx for the update.

Old January 1st 14, 12:19 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Fred McKenzie

In article ,
DanielleOM wrote:

Initiating the scan request from Libreoffice causes the
Vuescan software menu to appear but the scanned software does not drop
into the Libreoffice document.

Danielle-

You may be able to set up VueScan preferences to open the scanned
document back in LibreOffice. It would be a separate document, but
transferring it to the other document should be drag-and-drop.

Fred
Old January 1st 14, 05:46 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
DanielleOM

On 12/31/2013 6:19 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
DanielleOM wrote:

Initiating the scan request from Libreoffice causes the
Vuescan software menu to appear but the scanned software does not drop
into the Libreoffice document.

Danielle-

You may be able to set up VueScan preferences to open the scanned
document back in LibreOffice. It would be a separate document, but
transferring it to the other document should be drag-and-drop.

Fred

Hi Fred

I just tried it verified that I able to drag the picture from my picture
directory and drop it right into the Libreoffice document.

Thanks

Danielle

Scanning software? Sapper Scanners 5 December 18th 05 04:05 PM
Brother MFC-8440 Scanning Light Always On? G. Huang Printers 4 August 16th 05 06:44 AM
Brother 8840D : Scanning over the network problem [email protected] Printers 0 May 23rd 05 04:44 AM
Brother DCP 1200 and XP Scanner Resolution and Legal Size Scanning Improvement Tool (WIA) Chris Printers 0 February 21st 04 11:56 PM
scanning software Steve S. Scanners 3 November 27th 03 05:54 AM